Non-American fans of Faulconer

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Non-American fans of Faulconer

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am

precita wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm Is rock music even popular outside the U.S.?
The biggest irony is that rock music is more popular outside of the US than inside. Classic rock is apparently huge in Africa, and heavy metal never left the mainstream in Scandinavia or Japan.

More on topic, it's not like Kikuchi never used electric guitars in his compositions, never had guitar-driven tracks for Dragon Ball, or that retro wuxia orchestration is only ever big-band instruments. It just didn't focus on rock music so totally like Faulconer because we ran with the connotations of "HARDCORE HYPERMASCULINE ACTION"
It's all part of marketing.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:25 am

I grew up watching DB/Z with original music, and absolutely love it (I'm from Poland, btw). When I first heard Faulconer music I cringed. I tried to listen to some of his other tracks, maybe I just found a really bad one. But no, any scene I found, it was just terrible, and completely ruind it for me. A lot of times it just felt random, like it didn't even tried to fit what happened on the screen, just random guitar riff here and there. I know the original can be repetitive at times, but it still worked much better most of the time. Piccolo theme is absolute classic. I'm happy for you guys if you like it, but I just don't get the love for Faulconer at all.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:05 am

precita wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm Is rock music even popular outside the U.S.?
It's way more popular outside the U.S. than inside it. Dunno why anyone would ask this question.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am
The biggest irony is that rock music is more popular outside of the US than inside. Classic rock is apparently huge in Africa, and heavy metal never left the mainstream in Scandinavia or Japan.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:05 am
It's way more popular outside the U.S. than inside it. Dunno why anyone would ask this question.
Hell, Japan had as recently as the dawn of the 2010s just come off of something of a jrock renaissance that lasted from roughly the mid 90s to the mid/late 2000s: running WELL throughout and past the point where hard rock music in the U.S. has basically died a damn near stone cold death in favor of pop and hip hop on one end, and emo and indie folk on the other.

Some of the absolute all time best hard/heavy rock music of the 2000s I would argue came largely out of Japan for a little while there.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:21 pm

We got some Faulconer-scored episodes over here in the Netherlands, so I simply enjoyed that version of the show unassumingly. If you look at my oldest posts here (please forgive their cringy nature, I was sixteen and very insecure) you can even see me praising the score, something that is unimaginable to me now. Once I learned it was a replacement score, and the more I learned about the translation issues that plagued the dub it accompanied, that version became less and less appealing to me and I gradually "converted" to the original version.

I guess in some sense the Faulconer score still tickles my nostalgia bone, but it's kinda like looking at an ex-lover. Physically you're still somewhat attracted to them, but you can't love them anymore. They weren't who you thought they were.

That said, I don't mean for this to come across as me bashing Faulconer fans - if you're capable of genuinely enjoying it, more power to you!
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am More on topic, it's not like Kikuchi never used electric guitars in his compositions, never had guitar-driven tracks for Dragon Ball, or that retro wuxia orchestration is only ever big-band instruments. It just didn't focus on rock music so totally like Faulconer because we ran with the connotations of "HARDCORE HYPERMASCULINE ACTION"
There are many examples
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:34 am

More on topic, it's not like Kikuchi never used electric guitars in his compositions, never had guitar-driven tracks for Dragon Ball, or that retro wuxia orchestration is only ever big-band instruments. It just didn't focus on rock music so totally like Faulconer because we ran with the connotations of "HARDCORE HYPERMASCULINE ACTION"
Indeed and I learned several years ago that melodic rock/AOR is still just as popular in European countries as it was in the U.S. in the 80s and early 90s, they even have entire magazines dedicate to that specific genre of music. There are loads of bands that sound straight out of the 80s like Crazy Lixx(who did several songs for the Friday the 13th video game).

As for Faulconer it's interesting to hear the perspectives of those who weren't aware that it was a replacement score. I certainly wasn't aware of that as a kid either, but finding that out certainly didn't diminish my love of it.

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:05 am
Hell, Japan had as recently as the dawn of the 2010s just come off of something of a jrock renaissance that lasted from roughly the mid 90s to the mid/late 2000s: running WELL throughout and past the point where hard rock music in the U.S. has basically died a damn near stone cold death in favor of pop and hip hop on one end, and emo and indie folk on the other.

Some of the absolute all time best hard/heavy rock music of the 2000s I would argue came largely out of Japan for a little while there.
No arguments there, big fan of bands like Band-Maid, Babymetal, X Japan, Magnum, EZO and Loudness.

It's a real bummer that rock music is kinda dead here in the U.S.(though it is getting back up with bands like Dirty Honey scoring big on the billboard charts, hopefully that inspires a rock renaissance).
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:20 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am More on topic, it's not like Kikuchi never used electric guitars in his compositions, never had guitar-driven tracks for Dragon Ball, or that retro wuxia orchestration is only ever big-band instruments. It just didn't focus on rock music so totally like Faulconer because we ran with the connotations of "HARDCORE HYPERMASCULINE ACTION"
There are many examples
Interesting, thanks for the links. Some of the better Kikuchi music i've heard, though it reminds me a lot of those cheesy ninja movies from the 80s.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku