Non-American fans of Faulconer

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Non-American fans of Faulconer

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:55 pm

I want to know how many there are. So if you know one or are one please say so here.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Re: Non-American fans of Faulconer

Post by precita » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Do they even exist? The Latin subs kept the Japanese soundtrack and I think most of the other European/Asian dubs did the same.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:07 pm

You meant DUBS and yes. They dont. But there are plenty of them. Also same on you for not seeing Latin Americans as Americans. That really irks me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:09 pm

I've always loved his score. We got a good chunk of Z with his score for the UK broadcast; the Ginyu, Frieza, Garlic Jr, and Trunks sagas, and the Fusion saga for its original broadcast and early reruns.

For me it was a huge part of the show that I couldn't get enough of. I remember always looking forward to the Spirit Bomb episode in Goku vs Frieza, largely because I thought the Spirit Bomb theme was incredible.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:57 pm

You'd be hard pressed to find any non-English fans that like the Faulconer score.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:44 pm

I imagine any country that got the in-house Funi dub…so like every English speaking country to some degree? had Faulconer fans.

More interesting would be to see fans of the Faulconer music who never got the Funi dub. They seem less likely to exist. Latin American fans seem pretty proud that their dub didn’t change the score based on Youtube comments

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:59 pm

I found one. I am not kidding. But they were probably a Latin American living in USA.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:06 pm

Statistically there has to be. Statistically if someone dubbed Star Wars with ABBA and KISS, someone would've been a fan of it. Statistically if someone dubbed Mughal-e-Azam with Motown and Yé-yé music but only in Yugoslavia, someone would've been a fan of it.

But it's a small number no matter what. Down to pure preference in many cases. Like I think "non-American living in America" shouldn't count; I want to hear cases of someone who had no attachment to FUNimation DBZ and encountered it later in life. Maybe they watched or read Dragon Ball as a child or a teenager, maybe they never watched DBZ but did watch other media inspired by it (or even the media it was inspired by), and then they see what the USicans did to it. And in a surprising twist, they don't hate it or perhaps even prefer it.

"I have friends in Japan, the Japanese prefer Faulconer more than Kikuchi" as often claimed on Faulconer track YouTube comments is never going to happen though.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 am

I'm English but I assume we had faulconer music all along?

I remember a couple of different voice casts being used I guess ocean and funi but don't remember music changing
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:27 am

Hell, even in America I doubt many people outside of Funimation dub fans know who Bruce Faulconer is. That's likely double the case for anyone outside of the English speaking world, where most countries just used the original score.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:34 am

TobyS wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 am I'm English but I assume we had faulconer music all along?

I remember a couple of different voice casts being used I guess ocean and funi but don't remember music changing
If you got an English speaking dub the music changed no matter what country you lived in and you got Faulconer at the very least from the time Goku beat on Burter and Jeice to Trunks revealing to Goku he’s from the future.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:48 am

TobyS wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 am I'm English but I assume we had faulconer music all along?

If you live in England you would of had Faulconer's score for Ginyu, Freeza, and Garlic Junior, and the initial broadcast of the Fusion saga. The Saiyan and early Namek arcs used the Ron Wasserman score, and the rest was composed by Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell, who also composed music that was used in other shows Ocean dubbed like Monster Rancher and the Ruby Spears MegaMan cartoon.

The voices changed in all English speaking countries because all of them had Ian Corlett, Peter Kelamis and Sean Schemmel, but the Canadian, Dutch, UK and Irish airings also included Kirby Morrow for most of the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Is rock music even popular outside the U.S.?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:59 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm Is rock music even popular outside the U.S.?
????? Yes...? Very much so. Especially in Japan.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm Is rock music even popular outside the U.S.?
This can’t possibly be a genuine question

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:13 pm

rock over japan.

to be sorta fair to a post that doesn't really deserve it, maybe precita meant was/is that type of synthy hard rock stuff is popular outside of america ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes, very much so. It's probably the second most popular genre globally after pop.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:06 pm

And let's not even talk about the United Kingdom, which arguably fielded even more famous rock groups than the U.S. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What an all-time silly post.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:47 pm

Well. This is certainly a question.

I'm not sure what thought process could even lead you to ask this as a legitimate question. Of course rock music is popular outside the US. Have you genuinely never heard of any non-US rock bands? Like not even the ultra famous ones that have been around forever such as The Rolling Stones or AC/DC or anything?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:51 pm

Alright, alright, I think the point has been made :P .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".