If You Could Give Toriyama & Toyotaro Direct Feedback...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

If You Could Give Toriyama & Toyotaro Direct Feedback...

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 am

...What would you say to them? What kind of advice or criticism would you have to offer?
Me personally, I'd want a story that expands beyond the typical narrative of "Goku & Vegeta face off against the latest foe and get much stronger as a result" and gives other characters a chance to shine even if it's just a non-fighting role. Like a puzzle that tests the knowledge & experience of the Dragon Team rather than just bashing the problem away with force.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If You Could Give Toriyama & Toyotaro Direct Feedback...

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 am

Blue is a stupid color

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:07 am

I'd tell Toyotaro to stop referencing panels and reusing same body angles, and moves. It used to be very noticeable, not so much now. And keep designs more simple, don't overdesign characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am

Grimlock wrote:Hey, Toriyama. Pleasure to meet you!

What a wonderful work you created in Dragon Ball! However, modern Dragon Ball must evolve, it must get modernized too! With that in mind, please come up with stories outside of safe zone/bubble. If you are running out of ideas, be influenced by what others are doing nowadays and is very popular. No more formulaic sagas, with a villain that needs to be defeated or that join the group eventually while they struggle with the heroes in the meantime. No more tournaments followed by tournaments. Only do a tournament after quite a while. Do not be afraid to take risks, do not be afraid to kill off some of the "main characters" permanently. Let others have their moments too. Explore more the possibilities a character, a moment, a dialogue, a technique, a concept can offer. Delve deep into the lore, expand ideas, show us some backstories/flashback. Let women join the fray too! They should participate in battles just as male characters do.

With love, from a dear fan of your work that only wishes that Dragon Ball can also be a great franchise in these modern times. ♥

PS: Get rid of Muten Roshi. He is a completely useless character who does not even serve to be a gag one, considering his "comical" behavior isn't comical at all.
Grimlock wrote:Hey, Toyotaro. Pleasure to meet you!

Can you please go back to draw Dragon Ball Heroes - Victory Mission? I've got a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh! vibes from it and I would love to be able to keep reading it! You adapted amazingly the mechanics of the game into panels of the manga. You are very talented! So please, drop this Dragon Ball Super thing and go back to make a more interesting story!

Cheers, man!

I will pay whoever delivers my letters to these fine gentlemen. :)
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:46 am

The first thing that comes to mind is that I'd love to be able to talk to them about the choice to keep Dragon Ball Super stuck in the current timeframe. This between-Buu-and-EoZ timeframe has seriously overstayed its welcome, and now that we're in the 8th story arc (9th if you count Yo! Son Goku) in the same timeframe, the "cracks" are starting to show. Either overwrite EoZ directly in Super and go down a different path, or make the Granolah arc the final one before the original EoZ, before it's completely unsalvageable. And if EoZ must be kept as a kind of definitive end for "real" Dragon Ball, then end Super as well and move into Heroes-type territory before that precious ending is ruined anyway.
Even the nostalgiabait that's being used in the arcs in this timeframe can be used in post-EoZ arcs for the most part. The only difference is that characters would be older, but that wouldn't actually matter. Goten and Trunks are already not being utilised as is, which is a whole other thing by the way, and it's easy to have the middle-aged human characters get cleaned up so that they look pretty much the same as they do now, just maybe a bit more wrinkly for some of them and with a few different hairstyles.
So in short, get a move on and move on already. The passage of time has always been present in Dragon Ball, and you can't pretend that it isn't present anymore forever.

But yeah, I'd also like to hear their reasoning behind doing things this way, and how they personally feel about it. It's too easy to just complain without knowing the whole story.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:51 am

Get more sleep. For the love of gosh, don't kill yourselves slaving away so much for a machine that will chew you out and spit you up the second you can. Sleep. Rest. Fuck around. Find out what there is in life that you've been missing out on.

Also, Gohan × Videl preggo sex scene when?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:02 am

Yo Tori, Toyo. How's it going, big fan of your work. However, if I were to give one request, PLEASE for the love of Xeno, your creation, treat PAN better than the GT writers when you go past the End of Z!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:50 am

Toyotaro: Fix the way you draw mouths.

Toriyama: Use an original story and characters for the next film.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:27 am

I would tell Toyotaro to keep up with the good work as he’s improving a lot month by month, and maybe tell him that I personally prefer it when he draws the faces slimmer, the eyes and ears rounder and the mouths smaller.

As for Toriyama, I would like it if he could draw some manga panels every now and then. No disrespect to Toyotaro, but it would be hella cool if Toriyama could redraw a panel every month. And I would ask him to please design more characters as I prefer his designs, even though Toyotaro is also improving in that regard.

And please, write stories set after EoZ.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:45 pm

To both of them: Write stories after EOZ.

To Toyotaro: Improve your composition. Re-read the original manga, pay attention to how Toriyama lays out his pages and then compare it to yours. You're improving but there's still ways to go. Some of your pages are still a mess with so many unnecessary panels. For example: You don't have to draw so many panels of characters reacting to something. You can also take a good look to DragonGarowLee - That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha spinoff manga. He's really good.

To Toriyama: Even after ROF and Minus I'm glad you're with us even though you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Just please, no more new hair colors for the saiyans
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:54 pm

For both of you:

SAIGO NO ZETTO, onegaishimasu.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:52 pm

We love all the characters. Tell their stories too. No matter how small.

Everything doesn't have to focus on the plot. Enjoy the journey.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Retire both Goku and Vegeta to the bahamas for awhile and focus on Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Boo and Oob and the other humans are support characters.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:25 am

Direct feedback? I have nothing to say to them. If I got something better, I should write my own story. But, I would tell Toyotaro to keep doing his best, he is the future of this franchise.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm

It's kinda funny to come back to this thread now after the movie info. I guess they already know that they need to move towards EoZ, no feedback required! :lol:
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Too soon to tell, for all the possibility, they can still screw everything up. They still need these feedback.

I don't rule out the possibility of just Pan looking a bit older while everyone else remains unchanged, as if time doesn't affect these characters at all.

Of course, hopefully this post ages badly.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:26 pm

Toriyama, you are the GOAT. Never change you crazy man. Thanks for fixing misconception and giving Vegeta proper presence with respect since 2013 even when you dont like him.

Toroyaro, if you are a Vegeta fan and want to give him traction and a proper presence for his efforts since he is the prominent POV in Super, you are doing it wrong. Trying to give Vegeta's Goku's family love and skills and validity and even traits is not the way to give Vegeta respect. Please stop the manga right now, it will give Toriyama less work to fix in the next 10 years.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:01 am

Give us accurate power levels, please.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:25 am

I'm going to be a little bit rude, because I'm disappointed with Super.

To Toyotaro: Stop drawing base Goku like he's a retard. Please, finish your AF story, it's much more interesting than Super. And maybe stop tracing, you're supposed to be professional artist. Thanks!

To Toriyama: Please, either go back to retirement or start writing real stories, not just half-assed outlines that Toyo/Toei must fill. Oh, and stop wanking Goku and Vegeta, there are better characters than this boring, overused duo. No more transformations for Saiyans and no more retcons, please... Get rid of human fighters, their presence during the main battles (especially Roshi) makes no sense. Oh, and can you please say that GT is "canon"? Please, the butthurt of the "canon" fanboys would be funny as hell! Thanks!
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am

Trouser wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:25 am I'm going to be a little bit rude, because I'm disappointed with Super.

To Toyotaro: Stop drawing base Goku like he's a retard. Please, finish your AF story, it's much more interesting than Super. And maybe stop tracing, you're supposed to be professional artist. Thanks!

To Toriyama: Please, either go back to retirement or start writing real stories, not just half-assed outlines that Toyo/Toei must fill. Oh, and stop wanking Goku and Vegeta, there are better characters than this boring, overused duo. No more transformations for Saiyans and no more retcons, please... Get rid of human fighters, their presence during the main battles (especially Roshi) makes no sense. Oh, and can you please say that GT is "canon"? Please, the butthurt of the "canon" fanboys would be funny as hell! Thanks!
Prefacing it by acknowledging it will be "rude" because you're disappointed in the end product doesn't change the fact that this reads like an absolutely dead-on parody of online criticism/culture. I would imagine you could find better, more articulate, more comprehensive ways to get your viewpoints across...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::