Dragon Ball at the Tokyo Olympics

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball at the Tokyo Olympics

Post by The Accountant » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 am

This might be a bit late, but do any of you think that we might see something Dragon Ball related at the Games of the XXXII Olympiad? Wasn't Goku announced as an ambassador a couple of years back? Not entirely sure what that entails, any thoughts.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball at the Tokyo Olympics

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:34 am

I don't know about this ambassador thing, but they made a new pair of mascots.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:54 pm

I tried to stay up and watch the opening ceremony, but couldn't stay awake for it all. A part of me was wondering if they'd show off some of their "ambassador" characters like Goku, kinda like how the UK did with James Bond and whatnot, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that. From what I saw of the ceremony (which was, like 20 minutes at most, I'll admit), it seemed... a bit shit? Didn't seem like they were really celebrating much Japanese culture, there was none of the wild colour and liveliness you'd expect from the country that invented Kabuki theatre. The Rio Games did that really well, if I remember rightly. But then again, historically, Japan is a stoic, subdued and ascetic nation, so I guess that's what they were going for?

I've really grown disenfranchised with the Olympics in general. Way too politicised, way too much of a money pit, way too much cheating and general bullshit. Not too different from most mainstream sporting events, but magnified to the nth degree. Let's go back to the real golden age, strip off our kit, and #EmbraceGreek.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:35 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:54 pm Let's go back to the real golden age, strip off our kit, and #EmbraceGreek.
Reject Steroids, embrace nudity

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Maybe plans changed along the way some where because I definitely remember this being a thing that was being discussed a few years ago.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

AizenYTBR

Post by AizenYTBR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 pm

in my country (brazil), the idea of ​​goku, luffy, naruto, sailor moon and some other characters as ambassadors of the olympics was news everywhere.

On twitter, the name "goku" was trending topics because people were really expecting something related to him in today's presentation.

Maybe there was a sudden change of plans due to the pandemic and the ideas were losing steam, maybe today's presentation was not even half of their original idea...

we will never know

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 am

I was at an official shop for the Olympics in Nagoya, and they still sell the merch with all the anime characters on it (Goku, Astro Boy, Sailor Moon, and a few others IIRC). They have bags, caps, shirts, and some other cool stuff. Still too expensive for me though.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 am

I dunno, I was hoping for a 15 second long clip of Goku congratulating the athletes or something like that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:57 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 am I dunno, I was hoping for a 15 second long clip of Goku congratulating the athletes or something like that.
That would have been awesome. Goku is usually well known among athletes so I think they would have appreciated it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Unfortunately this Olympics never should have taken place. Most people in Japan don’t want it there with COVID cases rising and still low vaccination rates in the country. COVID cases have already been confirmed among the athletes. There isn’t a lot of reason to celebrate or get excited about so that is why you aren’t seeing a lot going on.

Maybe they planned to do more with the anime mascots originally but with things as they are a lot of plans were probably scraped..

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 am

I don't know why we're even having the olympics during a global pandemic.