Thoughts on the new Super movie title?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Thoughts on the new Super movie title?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:30 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm Where in Super is it stated that he'd be living with himself in the new timeline?
In Dragon Ball Super - Episode 67.

They didn't technically say Trunks would be living in the very same house as the other Trunks, but it doesn't matter. The fact that the saga ends with Trunks going to live in a timeline where there's already a Trunks in there is stupid all the same.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:16 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:30 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm Where in Super is it stated that he'd be living with himself in the new timeline?

They didn't technically say Trunks would be living in the very same house as the other Trunks, but it doesn't matter. The fact that the saga ends with Trunks going to live in a timeline where there's already a Trunks in there is stupid all the same.
First, there's nothing that says that's the case. Time travel doesn't make sense in any movie or TV show because it doesn't exist and secondly, I've seen this point of contention so many times here and it's silly every damn time. Why does it bother anyone if he were in the same timeline as another Trunks? What timeline would he be in where there wasn't another Trunks? This is not a substantive criticism.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm

Yes, there is. I've just provided a source which shows that's precisely the case. What? Are you going against what's stated in the series?

Indeed you have, and I've seen you questioning this time and time again. I believe I've already told you one of those times you asked why this bothers me, so I won't repeat once again. But I see that this time you finally asked a different question, so I'll answer that:
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:16 pmWhat timeline would he be in where there wasn't another Trunks?
A) He would be in the present timeline. There's already a Trunks in the present, yes, but he's different than future Trunks.
B) He would be killed off.
C) He would become a Time Patroller.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:26 pm

There is a timeline where Cell killed Trunks, so I guess he could’ve possibly gone to that one.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Holy crap, it's true! :o I completely forgot the timeline in which Cell kills Trunks. He could've gone there and it'd have been much better!
Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pmA) He would be in the present timeline. There's already a Trunks in the present, yes, but he's different than future Trunks.
D) He would be in the future timeline where Cell kills Trunks. So there wouldn't be two Trunkses in there.
See? Four options they could have ended Future Trunks saga. But they chose the worst possible ending of all. :roll:

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 pm

The writers probably just forgot about Cell's timeline. Though I wonder what happened to the version of Zamasu over there. With no Goku to challenge him or no Black to push him over to the edge (like Future Zamasu) he might actually step up to become the new Supreme Kai of U10. In a legal way of course.

Also to be fair wouldn't Cell's timeline be a mess due to no one being there to stop Majin Buu (Shin would probably get himself and Beerus killed)?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:30 pm Holy crap, it's true! :o I completely forgot the timeline in which Cell kills Trunks. He could've gone there and it'd have been much better!
Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pmA) He would be in the present timeline. There's already a Trunks in the present, yes, but he's different than future Trunks.
D) He would be in the future timeline where Cell kills Trunks. So there wouldn't be two Trunkses in there.
See? Four options they could have ended Future Trunks saga. But they chose the worst possible ending of all. :roll:
They chose this for the manga too, didn't they? I can only assume this was to set up some future twin gags with Trunks and the Mais accidentally forgetting who's who. Can't wait for one of the Trunks' to have green hair this time, also without explanation. We are all, after all, too stupid to tell the difference between two Trunks even when they're completely different ages.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:43 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm Yes, there is. I've just provided a source which shows that's precisely the case. What? Are you going against what's stated in the series?

Indeed you have, and I've seen you questioning this time and time again. I believe I've already told you one of those times you asked why this bothers me, so I won't repeat once again. But I see that this time you finally asked a different question, so I'll answer that:
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:16 pmWhat timeline would he be in where there wasn't another Trunks?
A) He would be in the present timeline. There's already a Trunks in the present, yes, but he's different than future Trunks.
A) A technicality. You may have told me why this bothers you but the question is more rhetorical. It's asinine that something like this bothers anyone. Oh my god there are two of the same people. That's so Stupid! Why?... Reasons.
So there are two of them. So what? It's apparently stupid that in ENTIRE universe in a whole different timeline, there are two of someone.
B) Why is his death somehow preferable? He loses EVERYTHING including his life? DB isn't that nihilistic.
C) Are time patrollers in the series proper or just some expanded universe canon stuff? Does such a job mean a damn thing to the audience?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 am

BWri wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pmThey chose this for the manga too, didn't they?
Unfortunately, yes. But it's not like I was expecting Toyotaro to give a completely different ending. He could have, probably, but chose the safest path.
BWri wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pmI can only assume this was to set up some future twin gags with Trunks and the Mais accidentally forgetting who's who. Can't wait for one of the Trunks' to have green hair this time, also without explanation. We are all, after all, too stupid to tell the difference between two Trunks even when they're completely different ages.
You don't even need to bring up the possible "gags" that can come out of it, I immediately think of the situation going something like this:

Epitome of stupidity.
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:43 pmC) Are time patrollers in the series proper or just some expanded universe canon stuff?
If you consider Dragon Ball Online part of the "series proper" (whatever that means), yes they are.
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:43 pmDoes such a job mean a damn thing to the audience?
Hell if I know, and I don't think I would care about the audience. But it does mean a damn thing to Trunks character in general, yes.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 am If you consider Dragon Ball Online part of the "series proper" (whatever that means), yes they are.
No, online isn't either part of the manga or anime (ie the media that are the main way the audience consumes the series). The online game doesn't count.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 am Hell if I know, and I don't think I would care about the audience. But it does mean a damn thing to Trunks character in general, yes.
You are part of the audience, and it doesn't mean anything to Trunks in general because he has no emotional attachment to the Time Patrol.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:52 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 amNo, online isn't either part of the manga or anime (ie the media that are the main way the audience consumes the series). The online game doesn't count.
Then, to you specifically, they aren't.
ABED wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 amand it doesn't mean anything to Trunks in general because he has no emotional attachment to the Time Patrol.
As if stuff needs, every time, to have "emotional attachment". It doesn't. But it's still, for sure, a damn better ending than that crap Dragon Ball Super ended up doing.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am

A fine and to the point title, nothing worth getting mad at.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:30 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:16 pm

First, there's nothing that says that's the case. Time travel doesn't make sense in any movie or TV show because it doesn't exist and secondly, I've seen this point of contention so many times here and it's silly every damn time. Why does it bother anyone if he were in the same timeline as another Trunks? What timeline would he be in where there wasn't another Trunks? This is not a substantive criticism.
In this case, he's in a timeline with a Trunks that's effectively the person as he is, having experienced the same life and memories up until Goku Black's arrival. This isn't like the present timeline, where the Trunks there is effectively a different person and everyone there has an established relationship with both iterations. In this duplicate timeline, Trunks is completely displaced.

It's such a needlessly cruel ending.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:45 pm

I just find the idea of having 2 identical versions of Trunks and Mai together to be a weird choice. Like it's not enough to ruin the whole arc or anything like that. It's just... weird. Like they were in a rush to think of a way to make them go away, so they just came up with... that.

Having Zeno destroy his entire timeline after everything he'd been through felt undeserved though.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:21 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:30 pm It's such a needlessly cruel ending.
I'm thinking this is one of those instances when the writer does silly things to amuse themselves. That's the only way Trunks' ending makes sense to me. Unless it really was all just to setup Future Zeno coming to the present, Trunks' fate be damned and Toriyama-san just could not be bothered giving Trunks a role in the current story.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:26 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:30 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:16 pm

In this case, he's in a timeline with a Trunks that's effectively the person as he is, having experienced the same life and memories up until Goku Black's arrival. This isn't like the present timeline, where the Trunks there is effectively a different person and everyone there has an established relationship with both iterations. In this duplicate timeline, Trunks is completely displaced.

It's such a needlessly cruel ending.
The fact that they destroyed his timeline again itself was needlessly cruel. The ending is fine. At least there's some sense of consequence.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:52 am
ABED wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 amNo, online isn't either part of the manga or anime (ie the media that are the main way the audience consumes the series). The online game doesn't count.
Then, to you specifically, they aren't.
ABED wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 amand it doesn't mean anything to Trunks in general because he has no emotional attachment to the Time Patrol.
As if stuff needs, every time, to have "emotional attachment". It doesn't. But it's still, for sure, a damn better ending than that crap Dragon Ball Super ended up doing.
No, to anyone following the story as a casual viewer, the game isn't, so it doesn't count.

And yes stories need elements that have emotional attachments to the characters and the audience. That's the entire point of storytelling - emotion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:21 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:30 pm It's such a needlessly cruel ending.
I'm thinking this is one of those instances when the writer does silly things to amuse themselves. That's the only way Trunks' ending makes sense to me. Unless it really was all just to setup Future Zeno coming to the present, Trunks' fate be damned and Toriyama-san just could not be bothered giving Trunks a role in the current story.
Yeah, this has typically been what I found to be the case. I mean, sometimes a writer just wants to be weird and do whatever to amuse themselves and in that respect I find it hard to be critical of the decision. Furthermore, it's pretty easily reversible anyway.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:17 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:14 pm Dragon Ball 2uper
Don't forget the Electric Boogaloo. :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:17 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:14 pm Dragon Ball 2uper
Don't forget the Electric Boogaloo. :D
I hope it comes with a wild animated music video!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:04 am

They really should drop the colon and extra super. Just call it "Dragon Ball Super Hero". It would be less redundant. Then again this is the same franchise that gave us "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" which had to be renamed because everyone made fun of it. (Even the manga)
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.