Thoughts on the new Super movie title?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

baconisbacc

Thoughts on the new Super movie title?

Post by baconisbacc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:51 pm

What are your opinions on the title of the new Dragon Ball Super movie?

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_332.html

Here is the website link for context
"YOU SAY I'M ARROGANT, I SAY DAMN RIGHT. THAT'S PRIDE. PRIDE IN THE SAIYAN I AM."
Tenkaichi Tag Team Pro

Ardent Aigis Simp

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts on the new Super movie title?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 am

Terrible title, by far the worst yet, but hopefully the movie itself will be good.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:51 am

Dragon Ball Super Super Heroes speaks for itself

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:18 am

Now that I say it out loud, it doesn't sound quite as bad but it's still unusual. I'd rather they'd have just gone with simply "Hero" or "Guardians".
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:28 am

Dragon Ball is known for terrible names. Look at the names of all the previous movies, look at the names of the transformations... Arguably only its characters have somewhat good names, considering most of them are puns.

It's kind of "whatever" (I don't even have a better term to call it) to keep complaining about this at this point. I've come to accept Dragon Ball will never have good names/titles, so I barely pay attention to that.

Then again, I rarely refer to movies by their own titles, and speaking of which, I should start to think about how to refer to the Dragon Ball Super movies from now on. If I just say "Movie 1" and "Movie 2" it could get minsinterpreted as movies from either Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. :think: I'll see what I can do.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:32 am

Imagining when the arcades start promoting Super Dragon Ball Heroes Dragon Ball Super Super Heroes and hoping to hear the commercial speak that entire phrase due to how absurd it'll be.

I'm convinced the title of the movie itself is a joke Toriyama came up with for the sake of it sounding silly.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:41 am

"Supa Doragon Boru Hirozu Doragon Boru Supa Supa Hiro Eiga!!!"
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:42 am

Ah yes, I've seen people probably joking about: "Super Dragon Ball Heroes Dragon Ball Super Super Hero", but that won't happen. Just like "Dragon Ball Heroes Dragon Ball Z Kami to Kami", "Dragon Ball Heroes Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no 'F'" and "Super Dragon Ball Heroes Dragon Ball Super Broly" never happened.

They never said the name of the game before the name of the movie. People might be joking about that, but you never know...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:48 am

It sounds strange to have two "super"s in it, even if the colon makes it a bit bearable.

But I hope more info is released that will make this title make sense.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:50 am

It's a stupid title, they should have just named it "Dragon Ball Super: Hero" or maybe "Dragon Ball Super: New Hero".

For example, if Pan is the main character and the movie is about how she decides to become a hero like her family, then it would make sense to title it "New Hero".

It would make sense to title it ANYTHING but "Super Hero", that's a cacophony. Just listen to it "Dragon Ball Super, Super Hero", it sounds really bad.

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am

I find it funny more than I find it annoying. Besides, Dragon Ball has always had ridiculous movie titles.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:10 am

I kinda like it for its quirkiness. I'd rather have a charmingly quirky title than a bland one.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 am

It doesnt roll off the tongue that well but I guess its foreshadowing what the plot is gonna be about, which I think is interesting considering Goku already addressed his beliefs on being a "Super Hero" back in the Tournament of Power.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 am

Grim's right, look at the new names of the new forms...

I thought it was DBS: Hero, not DBS: Super Hero... at this point I just sigh, a team of several people cannot come up with something better, or at least something that's not redundant.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am

Maybe it rolls off the tongue a bit better if you pronounce it like Dragon Ball Supersuperhero...

While Toriyama has shown some redundancy in naming concepts like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and whatnot, this is really the first dud title for a film made under his guidance that we've had in my view. The last three movies have all had excellently succinct titles that tell you exactly what the film is about, a complete contrast to the formulaic, overblown titles of most of Toei's Z Movies. Kami to Kami, Fukkatsu no 'F', Broly. Clean, simple, informative. It makes me think that there is a method to the madness of this title. Perhaps Toriyama thought Super: Hero would be too generic and wouldn't emphasise the "superhero" focus enough? Pun titles are all well and good but it reminds me of the Star Trek Into Darkness situation. You wouldn't initially assume that it's meant to be read out with no colon break in the sentence.

ZODX_750

Post by ZODX_750 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:44 am

It's quite a goofy, stupid title in my opinion lmao

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:44 am

So bad it’s good.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 am

Fucking atrocious.

Not only is the subtitle name generic as fuck, but saying the full title of the movie is awkward as hell because it doesn't roll off the tongue in the slightest.

It's the worst title a Dragon Ball movie has ever been given, and that is REALLY saying something.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:58 pm

I don’t know, it’s probably one of those things that after enough time it rolls off the tongue or whatever... but to me it reminds me of the trend of the last decade or so of seemingly almost intentionally bad English-language TV/movie titles. Though, it does sound better than “Dragon Ball Super: Broly”.

I’m just curious as to how it relates to the overall premise of the film, Dragon Ball doesn’t really lend itself to the idea of super heroes aside from parody/Super Sentai-type shit. I think I’ll need to wait until the plot/characters are known before I make a final judgment on the name.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Not sure if wanted to be cool, silly or both. I think is silly and really like it now.