How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiningboltsurge

How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:11 am

To put it blunt he simply just didn’t have a prominent career in anglosphere audial trans linguisticization of anime at all. for the prevalent company he actually for his caveats of assertion regarding “localizing”are ridiculously scarce. with said practices only really being known back when it was just a holding cell for with no infrastructure of qualified specializational field staffing like translators and I Kidd you not a negotiation department , cobbling together scraps of episode footage and illiterate broken machine engrish. but regarding the person in subject whose actual output of majorial ordination in a anglosphere official English audio version of anime was really just the first 3 and some change years of meterial to theis series’s later portion tv anime adaption’s initial fillerized cut. then after that those influences got ghettoed into a failed filler extension run where in he made faux rap and try hard synthonica. but actually look at library of shows said company actually produced English audio localizations for and see what trends actually and moldings hold firm. For background if anything I grew up with nicktoons edited Kai but even then I was reading manga subs and watching uncut at the same time
Last edited by Shiningboltsurge on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:34 am

Holy run-on sentence, Batman!
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:37 am

When you have an hour left until your term paper is due.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:10 am

I...think what you're trying to say is that Barry's only significant work was heavily Americanizing original Z and GT dubs, and since most dubs moved away from that practice he doesn't really have much importance in the grand scheme of American anime production?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:35 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:10 am I...think what you're trying to say is that Barry's only significant work was heavily Americanizing original Z and GT dubs, and since most dubs moved away from that practice he doesn't really have much importance in the grand scheme of American anime production?
If we’re still feeling some of the changes Barry imposed on Dragon Ball Z (I’m just Sayin not Saiyan you know?) can we really say he didn’t have a long lasting impact? Even when Funimation attempted to go the faithful route with Kai a lot of fans basically went “Look it aint Dragon Ball Z unless cheap electronic synth music is playing non-stop and the entire cast sounds like they were paid in free cigarettes also Chris Sabat needs to voice at least 33 percent of the entire cast”

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am

From what I understand, these kinds of dubbing practices are more broadly associated with the late Carl Macek. In that sense, Barry Watson's personal influence extends no further than English DBZ; but in that realm, his (negative) influence remains to this day.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Did you really wait ten whole months to do nothing to finally post an essay about Barry Watson!?

In all seriousness, I am curious about the psychology with how FUNi dub purists not only embrace the unnecessary liberties taken by Watson and co., but they seem to be glad they're different for the sake of... being different? I don't know how one deviates so much from the simple premise of wanting to consume a product as its authors intended. There's a common meme on the cesspool known as the Dragon Ball YouTube comment section community wherein if you even suggest not preferring any number of solidified FUNi tropes (SEIyan, voice actors, music, etc.) you're just called a "weeaboo". Which means apparently there's a loophole where if you consume a highly edited and altered anime English dub, you are absolved of weeabooism. This isn't uncommon at all, almost every comment section's highest-rated comments are about praising these specific changes. For example, "<Insert Character Here>: English vs. Japanese Voice Comparison", the highest rated comment invariably will be the name of one of the literal randos pulled off the street to deliver Speed Racer-esque lines for a tinpot dubbing company. It will have nothing to do with the actor's talent, performance or how it matches the character, you can bet these upvotes are fueled exclusively by nostalgia because it always just so happens to be the American actor with the longest amount of time portraying the character, regardless of any other considerations.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Thanos wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm Did you really wait ten whole months to do nothing to finally post an essay about Barry Watson!?

In all seriousness, I am curious about the psychology with how FUNi dub purists not only embrace the unnecessary liberties taken by Watson and co., but they seem to be glad they're different for the sake of... being different? I don't know how one deviates so much from the simple premise of wanting to consume a product as its authors intended. There's a common meme on the cesspool known as the Dragon Ball YouTube comment section community wherein if you even suggest not preferring any number of solidified FUNi tropes (SEIyan, voice actors, music, etc.) you're just called a "weeaboo". Which means apparently there's a loophole where if you consume a highly edited and altered anime English dub, you are absolved of weeabooism. This isn't uncommon at all, almost every comment section's highest-rated comments are about praising these specific changes. For example, "<Insert Character Here>: English vs. Japanese Voice Comparison", the highest rated comment invariably will be the name of one of the literal randos pulled off the street to deliver Speed Racer-esque lines for a tinpot dubbing company. It will have nothing to do with the actor's talent, performance or how it matches the character, you can bet these upvotes are fueled exclusively by nostalgia because it always just so happens to be the American actor with the longest amount of time portraying the character, regardless of any other considerations.
It just utterly baffles me, like how they could find nothing wrong with it??? The old DBZ dub is an unforgivably god awful pile of vomit that clearly reflect a company and voice cast that didn't know what the hell were doing at the time especially back in 1999, and how they could still find it enjoyable in any form is beyond me. I've seen some dubs that were heavily altered compared to the original versions but FUNi Z takes the prize by far, and that's on top of the voice acting which has aged poorly especially in regard to their more recent work of the last decade or so. I can't think of another dub that has tainted the English speaking fandom here more than this one.

It must be a nostalgia thing, because i can't think of another badly aged dub that has somehow still managed to pretty much define the show's massive success here.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanos wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm

In all seriousness, I am curious about the psychology with how FUNi dub purists not only embrace the unnecessary liberties taken by Watson and co., but they seem to be glad they're different for the sake of... being different?
I don’t think they’re glad it was changed to be different as much as “this was what I grew up with so this is correct “ They grew up with Dragon Ball Z having an electronic synth score on Toonami so any other type of music is bad and wrong when applies to Z. It’s not just Kikuchi’s score that gets hated on they hated on Yamamoto score too despite it conforming to their argument of what Dragon Ball Z should sound like (more modern, more action packed)

Also please disregard that “The Japanese music sucks”’ only seems to apply when a new dub score was introduced first. You won’t see people compare the music that played in the Pokemon tv series unfavorably to the American score used for the first movie (or even distinguish the Japanese music from the American music in the dub) or complain about the music heard in Outlaw Star or Gundam or Tenchi Muyo.

It’s not just Japanese >Funimation any thing different from what aired from 1999-2005 is bad.

They grew up with a Gohan that sounded like the littlest lung cancer patient so a Gohan that actually sounds like something resembling a little boy is “girly and a bitch” and Z dub Gohan sounds cool.

They grew up with a Frieza that sounded like a chain smoking granny so that Frieza is evil and creepy and new Frieza is too uh British or something? Nevermind that nobody was praising Frieza’s voice back in the day and I can almost guarantee the reason Cell is a much more popular villain with the Toonami audience (aside from Dragon Ball Z being at the height of it’s popularity in America in 2000) is become Frieza’s effeminate mannerisms and voice was off putting to a mostly young male audience and it was only after Frieza got a new voice was the old one always great.

. This isn't uncommon at all, almost every comment section's highest-rated comments are about praising these specific changes. For example, "<Insert Character Here>: English vs. Japanese Voice Comparison", the highest rated comment invariably will be the name of one of the literal randos pulled off the street to deliver Speed Racer-esque lines for a tinpot dubbing company. It will have nothing to do with the actor's talent, performance or how it matches the character, you can bet these upvotes are fueled exclusively by nostalgia because it always just so happens to be the American actor with the longest amount of time portraying the character, regardless of any other considerations.
Or you get the ol “The Ocean cast was good for the first two seasons after that the Funimation cast is best”
especially in regards to Vegeta. Nevermind that Sabat was doing a shitty Brian Drummond impression until Buu. I’ve literally seen a Youtube comment say something in the ballpark of “Ocean Cast was good until Namek then it was time for the pros: Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, and Bruce Faulconer to take over!” You know the guys who never voiced acted before in their lived and the musician who never scored a show in his life vs the voice actors who had experience before Dragon Ball Z and the composer who at least had experience scoring Saturday Morning cartoon shows

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:14 pm

At times it feels like Dragon Ball Z is the only big anime property released here where the original Japanese version is as disputed as the English dub. I can't think of any other major anime properties released here where the differences between Subbed and Dubbed versions have fractured the Western fandom as much as this one has.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:43 pm

Thought this was about the actor from Seventh Heaven.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Oh yeah Barry Watson isn’t even really searchable online outside of remnants of the 90’s dbz fandom dub outrage like Chris Paris and this you literally have find out he exists places like here as the most countinally active also what is the prodominate time zone here

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:54 pm Oh yeah Barry Watson isn’t even really searchable online outside of remnants of the 90’s dbz fandom dub outrage like Chris Paris and this you literally have find out he exists places like here as the most countinally active also what is the prodominate time zone here
I heard that he more or less dropped off the radar after leaving FUNi in about 2004 or so. Even while still there apparently he had a greatly reduced role once Sabat's involvement gradually grew over time though still had a hand to some degree in the dub production at least through GT and maybe the Ultimate Uncut 1-67 re dub. I can't really find out that much about him after he departed, though it seems he was one if not the first of the key people from FUNi's very early days to exit.

He did come up again at some point in like 2008 or so with a new company or something, but apparently that didn't last long and was folded within a couple years.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:54 pm Oh yeah Barry Watson isn’t even really searchable online outside of remnants of the 90’s dbz fandom dub outrage like Chris Paris and this you literally have find out he exists places like here as the most countinally active also what is the prodominate time zone here
This isn’t even true. All you have to do is Google “Barry Watson Producer” or “Barry Watson Funimation” He hasn’t been involved in entertainment since 2007 so of course he’s not going to appear in any recent news

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm
This isn’t even true. All you have to do is Google “Barry Watson Producer” or “Barry Watson Funimation” He hasn’t been involved in entertainment since 2007 so of course he’s not going to appear in any recent news
Yep, it seems Barry has been pretty much off the radar since then and as far as former FUNi staff people goes i think is the only one in which nobody knows where he is currently or what he's been up to after that point.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:09 pm

I think this gives good insight to the difference I’m referring to https://animesuperhero.com/forums/threa ... d.5071321/

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:52 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:10 am I...think what you're trying to say is that Barry's only significant work was heavily Americanizing original Z and GT dubs, and since most dubs moved away from that practice he doesn't really have much importance in the grand scheme of American anime production?
yeah that’s it actually thanks

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 pm

It's such a funny little thing how Watson just stumbled into this gig, quickly became a dinosaur and then just fell out of it as a result despite the carbon footprint of his legacy still very much influencing the fandom today.

Wherever he is I hope he is well and happy.

Fun throwback: Barry and Byron Watson in an old college project by Adam Campetti! https://youtu.be/4dIW_IfhWgc
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm

What's the most bizarre dubline? Bardock being a "brilliant scientist"? Human arms growing back after being violently broken off? People going to the 'next dimension' instead of dying? Freeza caressing his balls? "Cat loves food! Yeah, yeah, yeah!"?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I can win! I feel great! I can do this!
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:05 pm

That Piccolo monologue takes the cake and then shits it right out. 😆
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter