How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:20 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I can win! I feel great! I can do this!
Saying this to myself as I walk into the gym!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm What's the most bizarre dubline? Bardock being a "brilliant scientist"? Human arms growing back after being violently broken off? People going to the 'next dimension' instead of dying? Freeza caressing his balls? "Cat loves food! Yeah, yeah, yeah!"?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I can win! I feel great! I can do this!
"That's right boys, Mondo Cool!!!"

"Maybe you can use it as a backscratcher, ha ha ha..a backscratcher, where do i come up with this stuff?"

"Oh yeah, i almost forgot...KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!!!!"

"Oh no, it's Vegeta..aaaaaaah, it can't beeeeeee."

"That's one whopper of a lizard!!!!"

Good lord the old DBZ dub had such awful lines, these are the ones that stick out to me more than anything and show just how much they bastardized the show.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am

How munch of a influence did he have before or after at the company things like kiddy grade FMA and fruits basket dont really fall into his perclivities I guess dbz coming with bad audio and translinguistic overview and script referral sheets holds firm I mean vegeta killing grandpa gohan and goku’s inventing the energy artificial moon technique instead explaining blutz waves and the only is separated by a few years

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:14 am

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 am How munch of a influence did he have before or after at the company things like kiddy grade FMA and fruits basket dont really fall into his perclivities I guess dbz coming with bad audio and translinguistic overview and script referral sheets holds firm I mean vegeta killing grandpa gohan and goku’s inventing the energy artificial moon technique instead explaining blutz waves and the only is separated by a few years
I’m pretty sure he was the reason why Case Closed whitewashed a lot of character names and nearly had a rescoring by Nathan Johnson. Even before he left Funimation I’m not sure how involved Barry Watson was involved in non-Dragon Ball shows. From what I recall Yuyu Hakusho was Justin Cook’s baby and Chris Sabat said Blue Gender was their first attempt at trying to stay as close to the Japanese version as possible and that the producers never gave a shit about that one.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:23 pm
Thanos wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm Did you really wait ten whole months to do nothing to finally post an essay about Barry Watson!?

In all seriousness, I am curious about the psychology with how FUNi dub purists not only embrace the unnecessary liberties taken by Watson and co., but they seem to be glad they're different for the sake of... being different? I don't know how one deviates so much from the simple premise of wanting to consume a product as its authors intended. There's a common meme on the cesspool known as the Dragon Ball YouTube comment section community wherein if you even suggest not preferring any number of solidified FUNi tropes (SEIyan, voice actors, music, etc.) you're just called a "weeaboo". Which means apparently there's a loophole where if you consume a highly edited and altered anime English dub, you are absolved of weeabooism. This isn't uncommon at all, almost every comment section's highest-rated comments are about praising these specific changes. For example, "<Insert Character Here>: English vs. Japanese Voice Comparison", the highest rated comment invariably will be the name of one of the literal randos pulled off the street to deliver Speed Racer-esque lines for a tinpot dubbing company. It will have nothing to do with the actor's talent, performance or how it matches the character, you can bet these upvotes are fueled exclusively by nostalgia because it always just so happens to be the American actor with the longest amount of time portraying the character, regardless of any other considerations.
It just utterly baffles me, like how they could find nothing wrong with it??? The old DBZ dub is an unforgivably god awful pile of vomit that clearly reflect a company and voice cast that didn't know what the hell were doing at the time especially back in 1999, and how they could still find it enjoyable in any form is beyond me. I've seen some dubs that were heavily altered compared to the original versions but FUNi Z takes the prize by far, and that's on top of the voice acting which has aged poorly especially in regard to their more recent work of the last decade or so. I can't think of another dub that has tainted the English speaking fandom here more than this one.

It must be a nostalgia thing, because i can't think of another badly aged dub that has somehow still managed to pretty much define the show's massive success here.
I don't think the FUNi Z Dub is that bad. It's clearly a product of its time and the first few seasons are nigh unwatchable but at least FUNimation got better with time.

Some dubbing companies never learn and repeat the same bad practices.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm
Thanos wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm Did you really wait ten whole months to do nothing to finally post an essay about Barry Watson!?

In all seriousness, I am curious about the psychology with how FUNi dub purists not only embrace the unnecessary liberties taken by Watson and co., but they seem to be glad they're different for the sake of... being different? I don't know how one deviates so much from the simple premise of wanting to consume a product as its authors intended. There's a common meme on the cesspool known as the Dragon Ball YouTube comment section community wherein if you even suggest not preferring any number of solidified FUNi tropes (SEIyan, voice actors, music, etc.) you're just called a "weeaboo". Which means apparently there's a loophole where if you consume a highly edited and altered anime English dub, you are absolved of weeabooism. This isn't uncommon at all, almost every comment section's highest-rated comments are about praising these specific changes. For example, "<Insert Character Here>: English vs. Japanese Voice Comparison", the highest rated comment invariably will be the name of one of the literal randos pulled off the street to deliver Speed Racer-esque lines for a tinpot dubbing company. It will have nothing to do with the actor's talent, performance or how it matches the character, you can bet these upvotes are fueled exclusively by nostalgia because it always just so happens to be the American actor with the longest amount of time portraying the character, regardless of any other considerations.
It just utterly baffles me, like how they could find nothing wrong with it??? The old DBZ dub is an unforgivably god awful pile of vomit that clearly reflect a company and voice cast that didn't know what the hell were doing at the time especially back in 1999, and how they could still find it enjoyable in any form is beyond me. I've seen some dubs that were heavily altered compared to the original versions but FUNi Z takes the prize by far, and that's on top of the voice acting which has aged poorly especially in regard to their more recent work of the last decade or so. I can't think of another dub that has tainted the English speaking fandom here more than this one.

It must be a nostalgia thing, because i can't think of another badly aged dub that has somehow still managed to pretty much define the show's massive success here.
I don't think the FUNi Z Dub is that bad. It's clearly a product of its time and the few seasons are nigh unwatchable but at least FUNimation got better with time.

Some dubbing companies never learn and repeat the same bad practices.
Ture, and when i think about it the Afterlife Tournament, Saiyaman and Buu arcs actually aren't all that bad in terms of the Z dub. Freeza and Cell OTOH...oh boy now those are copious amounts of awfulness and have by far aged the worst of the lot. Trying to rewatch that part where the in house cast first took over is just pure agony, as it clearly shows how amature they were back in 1999.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:13 pm

There was literal entire division to contain his type of projects ei the music dept that bit the dust when they got bought out the first time and guess all it ever worked on

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:15 pm

'Ya know, it's funny, I actually started writing/adapting the English ADR scripts for a show not too long ago (can't say which one as I'm still NDA-bound, but I will reveal it's not a Dragon Ball show)...and after trying my hand at it, some of FUNimation's writing decisions make more sense to me, while others make even less sense than they did before. I'll give an example of both.

Something that makes more sense...

I now understand the desire to change the phrasing of stuff that doesn't necessarily need to be rephrased. Don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff does need to be re-phrased in order to fit the lip movements. What I"m talking about are things where the character's mouth isn't seen, but you can hear them "off camera." There are frequently some occasions where a literal translation of an off-camera line could work. However, there's still a desire to change it anyway. The reason is that the translation provided to the writers can be a little on the "flavorless" side. In other words, the translator has absolutely done their job and accurately translated the dialogue, but it doesn't sound as conversational or in-character as it could. So there's an ever-present temptation to "spice up" the lines a little bit to make them sound either more in character, or to write something different than the translation if it's a joke that doesn't really land (either because of a literal translation, because it only makes sense to a local culture, or a combination of other factors).

Whether that's a good practice for an ADR writer to pursue is the subject of debate, both on a project-by-project basis and even a line-by-line basis. To that end, feel free to read this fascinating blog post by Jeremy Blaustein, the translator of the first Metal Gear Solid game. He gave some great examples, in my opinion, of where "spicing up" the dialogue and making it more in-character worked to the story's benefit. He's also fair to the other side, though, and gives some examples of how this came back to bite him.

Now, though, for something that makes even less sense...

I do not, for the life of me, get why FUNimation felt the need to add soooooo much "off-camera" dialogue that wasn't originally there. The reason I don't get it is because, while I already knew, in a very general sense, before I started writing dub scripts that doing so was a long process, I can now put it in more exact terms. It takes a fast ADR writer, and I'm not exaggerating...literally an hour of real-life time per minute of adapted footage. So, that 22-minute episode? It took a fast writer 22 hours to complete.

I don't mean to sound like I don't enjoy the writing process, I enjoy it immensely. It's a fun process, but it is also definitely a time-consuming process. So much so that it can, every once in a while, get a little on the stressful side when having to both write a script and balance that with my VO projects and other real-life commitments (exercise, walking the dog, etc.). At times like that, periods in the show of moody silence are a god-send to me. During the stressful periods closer to deadlines, every second of no characters talking elicits a dance of joy from me, because it's a minute of writing that I don't have to do. The Dragon Ball animes, as we all know, had plenty of those!

So with that in mind, it's just mind-boggling to me how FUNimation, in their early days, had writers writing so much previously non-existent off-camera dialogue. Not only was it not a faithful adaptation, but you'd also be saving so much time if you forwent all of that!

Ah well. Water under the bridge, for several reasons. Not the least of which is that the adaptation practices of the "Barry Watson Era" are largely over. That said, between FUNimation's need as a company for DBZ to be a success to the local market and my own experiences doing ADR writing, I come to see more and more every day why they did what they did. I still don't agree with all of it. I still don't agree with a lot of it, in fact. I don't think they're evil people, though...I understand their logic more as time goes on, even if I disagree with it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:25 pm

I think that might be a stretch. A lot of the dubs done by 4Kids are at least as bad, if not worse. At least the FUNi dub was eventually made available in uncut format. There’s also the dub of Samurai Pizza Cats.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:16 am

I have a feeling this thread will get trashed due to the poor grammar from the OP.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:55 pm

Yeah I wrote at 1 am just to try it out but my grogginess showed up more than I thought

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:40 pm

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:55 pm Yeah I wrote at 1 am just to try it out but my grogginess showed up more than I thought
In reply to this
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:16 am I have a feeling this thread will get trashed due to the poor grammar from the OP.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:45 pm

As someone that grew up watching the dub and who still enjoys watching it, i'll try my damndest to explain. I like many others have grown so used to the voices I heard growing up that anything else just sounds "off" to me even I know its inaccurate to the original source material, I don't have much nostalgia for a lot of the dialogue that a lot of people on here make fun of as I barely remember the dialogue at all from when I watched it back in the day. I also don't remember paying much attention to the music, but now that i'm older I can say that I do think the Faulconer music honestly fits well for the most part, especially when the series goes in a more sci-fi direction with the Android arc. Sure you can argue the electronic score removed the kung-fu feel in the Freeza arc and Garlic Jr saga, but after that a kung-fu score that reminds me of those cheesy 80s ninja movies(think Godfrey Ho) somehow no longer feels thematically appropriate. As for the voices, any time I think of the characters I instantly think of their dub voices, it's just impossible for me to unhear theme, and I imagine it's the polar opposite for the old guard on here that grew up watching the original version well before the dub even existed. The original voice-acting isn't bad at all certainly, but I find it difficult to get a handle on the characters personalities as most Japanese voice-acting always sounds inherently "noble" to me for lack of a better term. So even if Goku is meant to be an uneducated hick in the original, that just does not come across to me as it's hard for me to tell the difference between his speaking style and the speaking style for other characters without his background. I don't know maybe my lack of ability to discern between characters personalities with the original voices has something to do with my autism, not 100% sure. Either way I get a handle on the characters personalities a lot more in the dub. There are some Ocean voices I prefer over the Funimation dub like Piccolo and Roshi, but for a lot of the other characters the Funi voices just stick more with me. Sure they started out rougher around the edges then the Ocean cast did, but after a while they really grew into their characters.

I don't see anything wrong with the comments sections on most Dragon Ball videos on Youtube, most of them just enjoy the dub and don't want to be told that their opinions are factually wrong or that they are idiots for daring to like the dub(which I have seen happen more then once on that site).
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:25 pm

I think that might be a stretch. A lot of the dubs done by 4Kids are at least as bad, if not worse. At least the FUNi dub was eventually made available in uncut format. There’s also the dub of Samurai Pizza Cats.
4Kids dub of Pokemon did at least make more of an effort to be faithful as it actually kept a lot of the original background music in(Hell 4Kids actually kept in WAY more of the original music then the TCPI dub does these days, where they'll replace as much as 75% of the original music)and the new music they did record sounded pretty similar to the original music(to the point where I honestly can't tell where one score begins and the other one ends, for the longest time I thought the entire score was replaced for the dub).
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 pm
theherodjl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm What's the most bizarre dubline? Bardock being a "brilliant scientist"? Human arms growing back after being violently broken off? People going to the 'next dimension' instead of dying? Freeza caressing his balls? "Cat loves food! Yeah, yeah, yeah!"?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I can win! I feel great! I can do this!
"That's right boys, Mondo Cool!!!"

"Maybe you can use it as a backscratcher, ha ha ha..a backscratcher, where do i come up with this stuff?"

"Oh yeah, i almost forgot...KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!!!!"

"Oh no, it's Vegeta..aaaaaaah, it can't beeeeeee."

"That's one whopper of a lizard!!!!"

Good lord the old DBZ dub had such awful lines, these are the ones that stick out to me more than anything and show just how much they bastardized the show.
Don't forget "Pop goes the Weasel!"

I never found Freeze's effeminate mannerisms offputting as a kid, hell they actually made him memorable for me(though I did mistake Freeza for a chick for the longest time because of that voice :lol: )
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:03 pm

4Kids dub of Pokemon did at least make more of an effort to be faithful as it actually kept a lot of the original background music in(Hell 4Kids actually kept in WAY more of the original music then the TCPI dub does these days, where they'll replace as much as 75% of the original music)and the new music they did record sounded pretty similar to the original music(to the point where I honestly can't tell where one score begins and the other one ends, for the longest time I thought the entire score was replaced for the dub).
That's definitely true, it seems especially during the early Pokemon seasons (specifically Indigo through Johto) they adapted the dialogue fairly well when compared to the Japanese version. I've watched both and much of the time the dub script isn't too off even tough there were plenty of instances of them rewriting things for one reason or another. The music thing is a big difference too because 4Kids left the majority of Shinji Miyazaki's score intact, most of the changes came from inserting original tracks over silent parts but they didn't wholesale replace the score or do so to the extent that TCPI does.

Don't forget "Pop goes the Weasel!"

I never found Freeze's effeminate mannerisms offputting as a kid, hell they actually made him memorable for me(though I did mistake Freeza for a chick for the longest time because of that voice :lol: )

Both Pauline Newstone and Linda Young's takes i find really hard to take seriously especially now, because with Chris Ayres it's just so much more fitting/true to the character and not to mention all the atrocious dialogue that the script writers gave Freeza with those voices delivering them.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:45 pmI don't see anything wrong with the comments sections on most Dragon Ball videos on Youtube
Because you're not a fan of Japanese Dragon Ball.
most of them just enjoy the dub and don't want to be told that their opinions are factually wrong or that they are idiots for daring to like the dub(which I have seen happen more then once on that site).
Likewise, fans of Japanese Dragon Ball don't want to be told they're [insert dismissive, vaguely xenophobic insult here] when they express that they don't like the Z dub because of how altered it was.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:29 am

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:45 pmI don't see anything wrong with the comments sections on most Dragon Ball videos on Youtube
Because you're not a fan of Japanese Dragon Ball.
most of them just enjoy the dub and don't want to be told that their opinions are factually wrong or that they are idiots for daring to like the dub(which I have seen happen more then once on that site).
Likewise, fans of Japanese Dragon Ball don't want to be told they're [insert dismissive, vaguely xenophobic insult here] when they express that they don't like the Z dub because of how altered it was.
I don't see a lot of hate and xenophobia from fans of the dub though, I think those claims are frankly overblown.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:48 am

I don't find that surprising considering you're a Funimation dub fan like those types and generally tend to downplay the perspective of sub fans.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm

I honestly see the same level of discourse coming from both camps to varying degrees, so I don't think it's fair to call subbers or dubbers worse in that regard.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:46 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:48 am I don't find that surprising considering you're a Funimation dub fan like those types and generally tend to downplay the perspective of sub fans.
Not trying to "downplay" anything, i'm just going by what i've personally witnessed, there's an ungodly amount of DBZ videos on Youtube so its impossible to get a truly accurate read on if the majority of dub fans really are "xenophobic" or whatever, all I can say is based on my own experiences that's not been the case. Being a dub fan does not automatically mean i'm wrong.
CuppaKofe wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm I honestly see the same level of discourse coming from both camps to varying degrees, so I don't think it's fair to call subbers or dubbers worse in that regard.
Agreed.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:46 pm Not trying to "downplay" anything, i'm just going by what i've personally witnessed, there's an ungodly amount of DBZ videos on Youtube so its impossible to get a truly accurate read on if the majority of dub fans really are "xenophobic" or whatever, all I can say is based on my own experiences that's not been the case. Being a dub fan does not automatically mean i'm wrong.
It doesn't, but it does indicate that you may have blind spots when it comes to which side of the fandom you sympathize with. Based on my experiences as a fan, it strains credibility to me that you've never ever come across or seen any hostility from dub fans towards sub fans. It reads to me like something you're not really looking to see to begin with and that's the vibe I get when you make statements like "it's not that bad subbies, settle down".
CuppaKofe wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm I honestly see the same level of discourse coming from both camps to varying degrees, so I don't think it's fair to call subbers or dubbers worse in that regard.
Like Planetnamek, I'm going by my personal experiences. Yes, sub fans can be just as rabid as dub fans, but in the past I've typically been met with varying degrees of ridicule and general dismissal when I mention that I prefer Japanese Dragon Ball.