How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Re: How relevant is Barry Watson in any sense

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Watson might not have had any success outside of his Dragon Ball Z days at Funimation, but the fact that we are debating the Latin Spelling of "Saiya-jin" and its pronunciation so strongly, proves that he's made his mark on the franchise. For better, but probably for the worse.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:46 am

I get what you’d guys say but as some allege driving force over the company 90+ percent of the dub productions abrasively don’t line up with that framing ordination

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:11 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 pm Watson might not have had any success outside of his Dragon Ball Z days at Funimation, but the fact that we are debating the Latin Spelling of "Saiya-jin" and its pronunciation so strongly, proves that he's made his mark on the franchise. For better, but probably for the worse.
The "Saiyan" spelling was in use long before this Watson guy even knew what a Dragonball was.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:57 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:11 am
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 pm Watson might not have had any success outside of his Dragon Ball Z days at Funimation, but the fact that we are debating the Latin Spelling of "Saiya-jin" and its pronunciation so strongly, proves that he's made his mark on the franchise. For better, but probably for the worse.
The "Saiyan" spelling was in use long before this Watson guy even knew what a Dragonball was.
I'm talking more so about the "Sae-Yin" pronunciation of the word from the Funimation dub. But, Mike already made a good point about the "Saiyan" spelling being used long before Funimation even existed.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:50 pm

This thread’s really still going on but as a whole the guy really in blip in the business he credited and on the the internationally massive dragon ball franchise he’s speck contained in something very specific that didn’t even cover the meter isle in a frontal wholistic capacity and for the dubbing company people on rave about his ordination of its even more nonexistent to the point some of these posting sound more in line towards the subject of DIC or 4kids that studio of cashern sins deadman wonderland full metal alchemist Tokyo ghoul and space dandy the descriptualizations on here are just staggeringly dissident to what the actually operates and produces to even get the place where they have been let alone are

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:58 pm

The core thrust of this topic is pretty simple, cut and dry as far as I'm concerned:

Barry Watson is a total zero in the TV and animation industry barring his involvement in the FUNimation Dragon Ball Z dub: thus while he has obviously had no lasting impact or success within broader media outside of Dragon Ball, his impact and legacy on Dragon Ball itself within the English language world still very much remains to this day. Not at all hard to wrap one's head around.

I'd also go so far as to argue that ALL of his impact and legacy on English language Dragon Ball has been unanimously and unquestionably bad and terrible: both creatively to the series, as well as toxic toward the fanbase itself and how divisive its always been ever since the dub's North American debut.

None of his alterations were in any which was "necessary" for the series to succeed among Westerners/Americans, and all they've done in the end was splinter the fanbase and create completely needless and pointlessly divisive arguing and fracturing. His entire approach to the series was that of a hack Saturday morning cartoon executive, and the fact that he found absolutely zero success beyond Dragon Ball doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Dragon Ball was a massive success in the English language world despite Barry Watson, not because of him. Akira Toriyama and Toei Animation's work were what rocketed Dragon Ball to success in North America (and other English territories), and NOT the added dumb nonsense that Watson saddled it with. And once Watson had to go out and make do without a surefire Golden Goose like Dragon Ball to carry him, he was totally screwed and went nowhere.

Obviously I don't wish the guy any personal ill will over a silly Kung Fu cartoon show, and hope that he's healthy and safe wherever he is: but from a purely creative/artistic standpoint? Good fucking riddance to his like in the industry. Its too bad though that his influence has still managed to damage so much of the fandom discourse surrounding the series seemingly far beyond the point of repair.

Even if you LOVE the dub, the fact that dub and sub fans can never truthfully say that we're all fans of and absorbing the same material (because we aren't) IS something that sucks for *every one* of us in the DB community, and that schism is squarely on the shoulders of people like Watson. I would argue that even if you personally like the dub and like its changes, Watson's legacy should still ultimately be viewed as toxic from a fan community perspective, because his insistence on approaching the series in this ridiculous manner to begin with is so much of why the fanbase remains permanently divided and fractured at this point, even at this very late date more than 20+ years on.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 pm

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:50 pm This thread’s really still going on but as a whole the guy really in blip in the business he credited and on the the internationally massive dragon ball franchise he’s speck contained in something very specific that didn’t even cover the meter isle in a frontal wholistic capacity and for the dubbing company people on rave about his ordination of its even more nonexistent to the point some of these posting sound more in line towards the subject of DIC or 4kids that studio of cashern sins deadman wonderland full metal alchemist Tokyo ghoul and space dandy the descriptualizations on here are just staggeringly dissident to what the actually operates and produces to even get the place where they have been let alone are
Auto correct screwing me over yet again I meant to say meterial not meter isle

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:24 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:58 pm The core thrust of this topic is pretty simple, cut and dry as far as I'm concerned:

Barry Watson is a total zero in the TV and animation industry barring his involvement in the FUNimation Dragon Ball Z dub: thus while he has obviously had no lasting impact or success within broader media outside of Dragon Ball, his impact and legacy on Dragon Ball itself within the English language world still very much remains to this day. Not at all hard to wrap one's head around.

I'd also go so far as to argue that ALL of his impact and legacy on English language Dragon Ball has been unanimously and unquestionably bad and terrible: both creatively to the series, as well as toxic toward the fanbase itself and how divisive its always been ever since the dub's North American debut.

None of his alterations were in any which was "necessary" for the series to succeed among Westerners/Americans, and all they've done in the end was splinter the fanbase and create completely needless and pointlessly divisive arguing and fracturing. His entire approach to the series was that of a hack Saturday morning cartoon executive, and the fact that he found absolutely zero success beyond Dragon Ball doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Dragon Ball was a massive success in the English language world despite Barry Watson, not because of him. Akira Toriyama and Toei Animation's work were what rocketed Dragon Ball to success in North America (and other English territories), and NOT the added dumb nonsense that Watson saddled it with. And once Watson had to go out and make do without a surefire Golden Goose like Dragon Ball to carry him, he was totally screwed and went nowhere.

Obviously I don't wish the guy any personal ill will over a silly Kung Fu cartoon show, and hope that he's healthy and safe wherever he is: but from a purely creative/artistic standpoint? Good fucking riddance to his like in the industry. Its too bad though that his influence has still managed to damage so much of the fandom discourse surrounding the series seemingly far beyond the point of repair.

Even if you LOVE the dub, the fact that dub and sub fans can never truthfully say that we're all fans of and absorbing the same material (because we aren't) IS something that sucks for *every one* of us in the DB community, and that schism is squarely on the shoulders of people like Watson. I would argue that even if you personally like the dub and like its changes, Watson's legacy should still ultimately be viewed as toxic from a fan community perspective, because his insistence on approaching the series in this ridiculous manner to begin with is so much of why the fanbase remains permanently divided and fractured at this point, even at this very late date more than 20+ years on.
honestly I one of the main things that got this thread made was the question of how things from the later 2000’s and or 2010’s even equate to this as it all just seems like mental time traveling to the 90’s as this is even less relevant to fans even younger than me as a few years ago one just jokingly referenced to me in passing as some archaic artifacts remember when the old dub tried to turned goku into Superman and he was like 14 at the time whatever establishment really isn’t even in tangible existence for a good while

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:24 pm n passing as some archaic artifacts remember when the old dub tried to turned goku into Superman and he was like 14 at the time whatever establishment really isn’t even in tangible existence for a good while
I realize I’m only guessing at what you’re trying to say but Goku was in his 20s during most of Dragon Ball Z he definitely wasn’t anywhere close to 14

Younger Goku in the original Dragon Ball dub (where he was actually around the age of 14)didn’t get the Superman treatment like in Z and GT. Though that dub had its share of issues with interpreting Goku’s character.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:31 pm
Shiningboltsurge wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:24 pm n passing as some archaic artifact as he told me remember when the old dub tried to turned goku into Superman and he was like 14 at the time when he told me this whatever establishment really isn’t even in tangible existence for a good while
I realize I’m only guessing at what you’re trying to say but Goku was in his 20s during most of Dragon Ball Z he definitely wasn’t anywhere close to 14

Younger Goku in the original Dragon Ball dub (where he was actually around the age of 14)didn’t get the Superman treatment like in Z and GT. Though that dub had its share of issues with interpreting Goku’s character.
Autocorrect again i meant to refer to the younger than me fan I had a interaction with

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 am

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:37 pm
Shiningboltsurge wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:24 pm n passing as some archaic artifact as he told me remember when the old dub tried to turned goku into Superman and he was like 14 at the time when he told me this whatever establishment really isn’t even in tangible existence for a good while

Autocorrect again i meant to refer to the younger than me fan I had a interaction with
As someone who wasn’t around them what success of of dragon ball was even that involved with him or should I just cut my luck and consider my first topic thread as a non lurker dead

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 pm

Shiningboltsurge wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 am
Shiningboltsurge wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:37 pm

As someone who wasn’t around them what success of of dragon ball was even that involved with him or should I just cut my luck and consider my first topic thread as a non lurker dead
as in the the portrayal of story and character as in all official explanations about the establishments 90’s American dub it edited so it could air music for royalties profit instead of paying out for Japanese score
And the toei scripts that was incomprehensible which was a thing that was complained about in not just but multiple importation foreign language audial productions not just of toei but other Japanese animated shows for a youth audience prior to the 2000’s