Does anyone wish Ocean produced an uncut version of Dragon Ball Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Does anyone wish Ocean produced an uncut version of Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:08 pm

I certainly do. To clear up some confusion, I have had confirmation from fellow fans that had contact with the relevant companies regarding certain facts:

1. Westwood Media was the production arm of Ocean, so they did produce the later Ocean Z dub

2. Manga UK, at one point wanted to include the Ocean dubs as audio tracks, but couldn't do it due to them being edited

In light of this, it's unfortunate that to this day there has never been a home release of the dubs that Irish, British, Dutch and some Canadian fans were most familiar with growing up in the early 2000s.

Had Westwood produced an uncut version of Z, like Funimation did they could have sold it to companies like Madman and Manga UK, who could have rivalled Funimation for offering more audio options on their releases as they wouldn't have to worry about promoting a competing dub. And as much interest as there is from a not insignificant portion of the fanbase for a Rock the Dragon-style Westwood DVD box set, I imagine an uncut version would have made a release of the original cut an even more interesting prospect for collectors.

It would have meant some changes, of course. For example the Anitunes score composed by Keenlyside and Mitchell Ocean fans are familiar with would either not be an option, or the placement would have to be different due to the necessity of starting from scratch on episodes that wouldn't sync to the original placement. Extra lines of dialogue would also need to be recorded, which would have been fine, I'm sure the actors would have been willing. I would have accepted the dialogue still being mostly the same as Funimation's dub, although if Ocean went the extra mile to redo it all from the ground up that would have been even better yet.

There's also the issue of the original seasons 1 and 2, owned by Funimation, which would have had to been redubbed from scratch, likely with Kirby Morrow or yet another actor playing Goku. An Ocean Freeza and Garlic Junior arc would have also been nice to have. I recall there was a petition back in the day for a season 3 Ocean dub, although sadly that too never came to fruition.

Why this never happened is anyone's guess. For all we know Ken Morrison, knowing the business mightn't have thought it would be a worthwhile investment, as he had moved the casting to Blue Water for GT and OG Dragon Ball at that time, and all of this would have happened before the more recent era of hybrid dubs that started around the time of Kai, but still fun to dream.

Suffice to say this is all hypothetical and water under the bridge in the eyes of any higher-ups, and a shame to this day it hasn't happened (or any home release of the Westwood dub, for that matter) but it's a neat what-if in retrospect.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does anyone wish Ocean produced an uncut version of Dragon Ball Z?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Absolutely. The Pioneer films gave us a taste of that. And while it has flaws (I don’t care for Kelamis Goku and Don Brown’s Roshi is embarrassing ) I would have still loved the entire dub Dragon Ball like that

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Does anyone wish Ocean produced an uncut version of Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm

It would've been different for sure, but I certainly would not have been against it happening.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku