Who's your favorite enemy from the Red Ribbon saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BernardoCairo

Who's your favorite enemy from the Red Ribbon saga?

Post by BernardoCairo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi guys. This is my first post here on the forum. I would like to start with a very laid-back thread.
What's your favorite enemy from the Red Ribbon saga? Honestly, that's probably the most consistent arc of Dragon Ball when it comes to antagonists (quantity + quality).
I would say that the best two are Tao Pai Pai and General Blue. Both are funny and menacing at the same time. While Tao is definitely the most iconic of the two, I kind of prefer Blue. That's mostly because he's featured in more wacky scenarios, I believe. Tao's days in Dragon Ball were short lived (until he came back to the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, that is). Blue also has unique powers and his look matches the rest of the army (that may not be necessarily great to some).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who's your favorite enemy from the Red Ribbon saga?

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:21 pm

Ninja Murasaki hands down. He's one of the most entertaining parts of all of DB and he doesn't overstay his welcome.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Toss up between Tao Pai Pai and Ninja Murasaki for sure. I really did like what Toei did with Colonel Violet, although she’s ultimately superfluous to the story.

General Blue overstayed his welcome and I was glad to see him get licked.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:01 pm

Taopaipai easily. The first villain in the series who came off as truly intimidating.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 pm

Tao Pai Pai for sure, he's one of my favorite characters of Dragon Ball! :thumbup:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:14 pm

General Blue for me. He knows how to get the job done. I appreciate how he doesn't tolerate any filth or uncleanliness in his ranks. He is cold-blooded and hilarious, and it's a great performance by Toshio Furukawa. I like that he is a formidable martial artist and enjoy his psychic abilities.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 pm

Tao Pai Pai is cool and funny but Violet is cool and sexy...but them there's Yellow! What a sexy beast!!

The anime made Silver so cool and sexy...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:24 pm

Murasaki, General Blue, and of course, Tao. Murasaki's just damn hilarious, and the General Blue fight is might favorite portion of that arc, with Blue being a super-competent villain and customarily weird and campy as well. And Tao - I mean what else is there to say?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:25 pm

Tao Pai Pai, who manages to both be genuinely threatening and hilarious in his over-the-top martial-arts-assassin-ing.

Blue’s section is one of my favorite parts of the series, but that’s more due to the situational comedy happening around him than it is the character himself.

Shoutouts to the filler with Tao Pai Pai’s day around town while waiting for his new clothes, by the way, which ends with him boiling an egg in his own bathwater and is possibly the funniest anime-original sequence in either DB or Z. At the very least in the top three or so.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:46 pm

I got to give it to General Blue. Definitely one the best written villains in the series. Imagine how much of a dangerous force the Red Ribbon Army would've been if he was in charge.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:19 am

Ninja Murasaki for the laughs, Officer Black for his competence.

EDIT: since Tao Pai Pai apparently counts, him too
Last edited by PurestEvil on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 pm

The anime made Silver so cool and sexy...
I enjoyed the punchline that the anime built Silver as this cool hyper-competent villain: He’s calm and collected! He’s smart enough to not be fooled by a fake dragon ball! He’s an excellent marksman! He’s tough enough to beat up professional boxers! And then lol Goku effortlessly kicks his ass with a couple of punches.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:37 am

Tao Pai Pai for the most serious side of the arc.

Murasaki for the funny side.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:39 pm

As many have said Ninja Murasaki steals the show for the episodes he’s in. Goku pouring boiling tea into the bamboo always ruins me.

I’d say props to the enemies in muscle tower. Button and Major Metalitron pushed Goku a lot more than people seem to recall.

On an anime only note, I always enjoyed the Hasky filler - the fortune teller scene always gets a basic chuckle from me. Plus enjoyed having it involve the cast beyond Goku.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:14 am

Mercenary Tao's way of flying is so badass I can't pick anyone other than him
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:20 am

BernardoCairo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:05 pm Hi guys. This is my first post here on the forum. I would like to start with a very laid-back thread.
What's your favorite enemy from the Red Ribbon saga? Honestly, that's probably the most consistent arc of Dragon Ball when it comes to antagonists (quantity + quality).
I would say that the best two are Tao Pai Pai and General Blue. Both are funny and menacing at the same time. While Tao is definitely the most iconic of the two, I kind of prefer Blue. That's mostly because he's featured in more wacky scenarios, I believe. Tao's days in Dragon Ball were short lived (until he came back to the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, that is). Blue also has unique powers and his look matches the rest of the army (that may not be necessarily great to some).
Actually yes, both Tao & Blue are my fav too. And i kinda enjoy scenes of Commander Red with his r.hand man blacku cuz their interactions esp in japanese version feel funny ah. And latters battle scene with Goku was quite enjoyble to watch

Ninja Murasaki is great guy too😅😂

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:05 pm

Tao for sure.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:37 pm

Tao but Blue's a very close 2nd. Part of Tao's mystique is that he killed Blue so effortlessly. I hope Dragon Ball Super uses this sort of storytelling device again in the future. Is Cell the last time we saw a new villain hijack the place of the current villain?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Tao by far

NeflyteMasato
Patreon Supporter

Post by NeflyteMasato » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:07 pm

I’m sure it’ll come across as an odd choice, but I really like Buyon. His Dragon Quest-esque design always stands out to me, and he’s one of the first battles Goku actually has to use his head to win.
Vegeta: “If it means merging together with you, then I choose death!”
Goku: “Vegeta, you’re already dead!”