Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

I agree with jjgp on his point, actually. Criticizing people when it's deserved is fine obviously, but those criticisms and insults should all be aimed at their actions, behaviors, words, and overarching character flaws. Insulting people for things they have no control over like being cross-eyed or stuttering, or for physical attributes like being overweight, is completely besides the point, sends the wrong message in multiple ways, and regardless of context or intent is indeed hurtful to a certain percentage of completely random and unrelated people that share the traits being mocked and are often insecure about them.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Mr Vegetto EX and mod team, can you please close this thread. It has long since ran its course...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:25 pm
KingVegetto wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:28 am And I also wanted to respond to this

Great, then you should understand that it does not require "hate" to spread problematic views. That's my point. Dave being "honest" doesn't change how fucked up those views are, nor does it alter the potential damage that it could have. Particularly with that quote, he's pitting black people against the LBGTQ community as if there aren't transgender individuals who are black. That's the thing. It becomes suffer-athon where we're too busy whining about who is suffering the most when we should be focusing on intersectionality and that the rights for transgender individuals is the same as the rights for black people, which is the same for immigrants and so on and so forth.

It ties into an earlier point: Dave's Jealousy represents black men who have a problem with empathizing with other social groups. This is nothing new.

Dave wasn't arguing about who suffered more, he just wishes more people in the community would care about black-specific issues and that's a valid POV to have.
1. That's exactly what he's arguing though. Black people suffer more and therefore deserve more focus. Which again...there are black people who are also members of the LBGTQ and Trans community so his point is, well, pointless. By making these two communities as separate, instead of recognizing that they are one in the same and have common goals, he is absolutely pitting them against one another. It delegitimizes the LBGTQ movement by claiming that it's mostly white (which isn't even remotely true) in the same way that conservatives attempt to delegitimize BLM by suggesting that only elitist white people actually care about social justice. It's nonsense that has no real root in reality.

2. So the whole BLM thing just didn't happen, then? Chapelle wasn't literally given money to host his own special about the George Floyd murder? None of what he says makes a lick of sense the moment you even think about. And whatever point that he was making that might have a kernel of truth gets lost in his clear problems with the Trans community.
Dave knows there are people that are both black and LGBTQ though, he mentioned that in the special in regards to an incident where a white gay man confronted him out of nowhere and started harassing him and talking to Dave about how he was "being oppressed" which Dave found ironic considering there were two gay black men right next to him. Dave wasn't trying to "delegitimize" the movement, just saying there are times where the community tends to turn it's back on matters of racism, he never said the two communities were seperate.

Um where on earth did I say BLM "didn't happen"? :? Nowhere, said nothing of the sort.

What he said made plenty of sense to me even if I didn't agree with all of it.

It's not "nonsense" though:https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:27 pm
KingVegetto wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:47 pm
Yuji wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:46 am If you watched the Chappelle special and came away thinking he's anything other than Pro-LGBT, then you're just a fucking idiot. He states multiple times transwomen are women if that didn't make clear his position on the issue.

The one criticism you can make of Chappelle is that his insensitive jokes come from a position of bitterness about the efficacy of the LGBT movement in comparison to the plight of black people in the United States. He makes a good point that the LGBT have made major strides only because the movement is composed mostly of white people and his resent is understandable, albeit not justifiable.
LOL well said, i don't know where the hell some of the users on here got some of their frankly insane takes from.

That's another good point that seems to have gone over the heads of most users on this thread sadly, I blame schools for not teaching Critical Thinking more, so as a result people don't back up their opinions particularly well, they think just saying "you're wrong cause I said so!" is enough.
Dude..you literally just called someone a troll for disagreeing with you.
No actually I called him a troll because he's made numerous personal attacks on other users in this thread just for daring to not agree with him on everything he says 100%, and I think I was absolutely justified in saying that and i'd gladly say it again. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:55 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm I agree with jjgp on his point, actually. Criticizing people when it's deserved is fine obviously, but those criticisms and insults should all be aimed at their actions, behaviors, words, and overarching character flaws. Insulting people for things they have no control over like being cross-eyed or stuttering, or for physical attributes like being overweight, is completely besides the point, sends the wrong message in multiple ways, and regardless of context or intent is indeed hurtful to a certain percentage of completely random and unrelated people that share the traits being mocked and are often insecure about them.
Agree with him as well, some people like myself are also virgins by choice and not because we're asexual either. I find women attractive but i'm not really interested in relationships or hook-ups because i'd rather spend more time by myself with my hobbies and there's nothing wrong with that.

Can't tell you how many times I've been called "autistic" as an insult just for having the "wrong" opinion about a piece of fictional media.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:46 pm Mr Vegetto EX and mod team, can you please close this thread. It has long since ran its course...
Yeah I didn't mind this thread going off into tangents at first but I think by this point it's gone completely off the rails and is well beyond-saving and frankly i'm not really sure what more there is to add to the discussion. We all clearly have our own opinions about Dave Chappelle and his views and none of us are going to change our minds anytime soon about them, so best to just stick a fork in this thread, it's done.