Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Post by super michael » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:03 am

I found it on Facebook by luck, here is the source to that claim.

Source - https://www.comicbook.com/anime/amp/new ... me-sexual/
Dragon Ball Super has been out for years now, but the show continues to find new fans by the day. From the manga to series re-runs, there are lots of ways to check on the title, and these outlets are huge in South America. But now, it seems like one country has cancelled Dragon Ball Super amidst an ongoing debate concerning Master Roshi.

If you need some context, let's wind things back a bit. Dragon Ball Super saw its TV anime close several years ago in anticipation of its first movie. The series has not made a return since, so regions all over the world are simply re-airing Dragon Ball Super. This is very common in South America and Mexico given how big Dragon Ball is in these regions. However, the capital city of Argentina is no longer seeing eye to eye with the anime.

(Photo: Toei Animation)
Dragon Ball Akira Toriyama

Not long ago, twitter-tweetBuenos Aires' Department of Communication released a statement in regards to Dragon Ball Super. The note went live after an episode aired that leads into the Tournament of Power. It was there fans watched as Master Roshi took on an odd training session, and the man's perverted ways have gotten the show cancelled now.

According to the official statement, the Department of Public Defense was sent a complaint by the Ministry of Women, Gender Politics, and Sexual Diversity. The latter filed a complaint after constituents provided their reactions to the most recent Dragon Ball Super episode. As for the episode in question, it happened to be the one where Roshi recruited Puar to transform into a lovely young lady. The perverted teacher asked Puar to do this so Roshi could overcome his weakness because he knows he's too perverted for his own good. By the end of his training, Roshi says he has overcome the need to sexualize women but only on the battlefield.

This episode is a bit sketchy, but authorities in Buenos Aires were far from amused. The executives are officially accusing Roshi of engaging in sexual abuse. Now, Cartoon Network and Warner Media are pulling Dragon Ball Super from the air in Buenos Aires and much of Argentina following the complaint. Of course, this could change in the future. But for now, it seems like Roshi has ruined a good thing for Goku and the gang.

What do you think about this cancellation? Do you think Dragon Ball Super deserved the ax because of Master Roshi? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below or hit me up on Twitter @MeganPetersCB.

Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:10 am

It was a matter of time before people realized “oh crap we shouldn’t endorse sexual harassment to kids”
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:02 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:10 am It was a matter of time before people realized “oh crap we shouldn’t endorse sexual harassment to kids”
Puar and Oolong are not children, both are over 40 years old

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am

Political correctness is a cancer that has been trying to get into anime and manga for a long time, these people completely don't understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series, they try to fight something they don't know.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:32 am

Ironically, that episode was meant as a way to somehow correct his character.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:27 am

There is Yurin which Master Roshi is clearing chasing and making Yurin uncomfortable, yet Goku see it and ignores it while closing the door.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:02 am

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:02 am
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:10 am It was a matter of time before people realized “oh crap we shouldn’t endorse sexual harassment to kids”
Puar and Oolong are not children, both are over 40 years old
That’s not what PurestEvil said. 🤦

He’s talking about the target demographic.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 am

I think this is stupid, there I said it.

Why do they ban the entire show instead of just not airing that episode with Roshi? Why does the remaining ToP arc (with fights like Goku vs. Jiren, Goku vs. Kefla, etc.) need to be banned because of that episode? Stupid lol.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:30 am

Funny thing is the Ministry of Women requested the scene, not the episode or the show, to be censored, but Cartoon Network pulled the plug altogether. The MoW was Goku using the Zeno button, and CW was Zeno, lol.

I haven't watched that episode in 3 or 4 years, but IIRC, Roshi actually overcomes his perversion, and we see the results at the ToP. I also, vaguely, remember the Tenshinhan Dojo episode were Roshi does awful stuff as well that I recall as worse than the episode in question.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:19 am

131 episodes cancelled cause of a couple of scenes, unbelievable.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:26 am

The Accountant wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:19 am 131 episodes cancelled cause of a couple of scenes, unbelievable.
Pokémon got some episode that got banned, but that didn't cause the whole Pokémon anime to get cancelled. I don't know why 1 episode caused the whole DBS anime to get cancelled.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:51 am

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am Political correctness is a cancer that has been trying to get into anime and manga for a long time, these people completely don't understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series, they try to fight something they don't know.
There's a far stronger argument to be made for Toei's writers historically being the ones who don't completely understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series.

I see this is one of your first dozen-ish posts here on the forum, and it's a pretty clear indication of where you might be coming from/thinking/heading -- not a great place. You seem to be missing a substantial amount of context, history, and general knowledge about anime production, and your overall viewpoints and expressions don't gel with the mission of this community.

Hopefully you'll stick around, take the challenges, and come out on the other side. We'll be here rooting for you.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 am Why do they ban the entire show instead of just not airing that episode with Roshi? Why does the remaining ToP arc (with fights like Goku vs. Jiren, Goku vs. Kefla, etc.) need to be banned because of that episode? Stupid lol.
Toei shit their bed, and now they've gotta lie in it. I don't think Kafla really cares one way or the other.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 am

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:51 am
Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am Political correctness is a cancer that has been trying to get into anime and manga for a long time, these people completely don't understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series, they try to fight something they don't know.
There's a far stronger argument to be made for Toei's writers historically being the ones who don't completely understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series.

I see this is one of your first dozen-ish posts here on the forum, and it's a pretty clear indication of where you might be coming from/thinking/heading -- not a great place. You seem to be missing a substantial amount of context, history, and general knowledge about anime production, and your overall viewpoints and expressions don't gel with the mission of this community.

Hopefully you'll stick around, take the challenges, and come out on the other side. We'll be here rooting for you.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 am Why do they ban the entire show instead of just not airing that episode with Roshi? Why does the remaining ToP arc (with fights like Goku vs. Jiren, Goku vs. Kefla, etc.) need to be banned because of that episode? Stupid lol.
Toei shit their bed, and now they've gotta lie in it. I don't think Kafla really cares one way or the other.

I'm from Poland (don't know what's wrong with that), I doubt my posts hurt anyone, and that comment sounded like it was a bad idea that I was here.Especially since I'm only expressing subjective opinions about the series, and interpretations of various events in the universe. I don't know what my background has to do with it, because I've never thought badly of my background.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:57 am

Many popular anime are historically left-wing in their politics. The Dragon Ball Super cartoon's production team deciding that rape jokes and actual attempted and unchallenged rape was appropriate for the child audience is what I'd file away under as being "yikes, what the fuck?"
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:00 am

So it sounds like there were complaints and rather than edit out the offending scenes or remove the episodes (of which where complete filler) they just pulled the entire show.

I dunno sounds more of the same of “Company really doesn’t understand what the problem is only that this may impact their bottom dollar so they overreact”

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:38 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:57 am Many popular anime are historically left-wing in their politics. The Dragon Ball Super cartoon's production team deciding that rape jokes and actual attempted and unchallenged rape was appropriate for the child audience is what I'd file away under as being "yikes, what the fuck?"
I don't know how is the original Dragon Ball in Argentina, but since the scene from the Super episode led to this very interesting controversy and banishment of the Super series, I wonder how are the first 16 volumes of the manga, are they censored because there were a lot more situations like that than in Super. For the Japanese this kind of humor seems natural, because over the years I have noticed that in anime there is always a gag pervert. But if they release there Dragon Ball anime and manga uncensored, it means that they don't realize that the whole series is famous for such situations, and I hope that the whole thing won't get hurt. Toriyama in interviews (especially in some promotional material with Broly) mentioned that he hopes that children will like it (or the translation to my language has gone wrong), so he knows what audience the series is aimed at. Well, I thought that the great popularity of anime in Western countries had already made everyone immune to this humor, but one is always wrong.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Now I want Argentina to do badly in the world cup.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 pm Now I want Argentina to do badly in the world cup.
Being vindictive is not cool, you can't blame the players for the stupidity of their government.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:28 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 pm Now I want Argentina to do badly in the world cup.
Being vindictive is not cool, you can't blame the players for the stupidity of their government.
Everyone knows that football is not about seeing your team win, but about seeing the opponents’ fans upset over a loss.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Some of those episodes are pretty cringy, but if the choice is between leaving them untouched and canceling the whole show, I'd much prefer the former.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147