Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:13 pm

Shang-Chi does a Kamehameha-style attack in the film, with one of his friends comparing it to one.

It's nice for a kung-fu film to homage DB.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:16 pm

That's cool! I'm not rushing out to the theaters at the moment, but I look forward to eventually watching the movie.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:42 pm

I'll be on the look out for it whenever it is uploaded to Disney+!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:33 pm

Is it a Dragon Ball homage or just a common Wuxia thing?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:33 pm Is it a Dragon Ball homage or just a common Wuxia thing?
I haven’t seen it yet, but the OP makes it sound like someone in the film explicitly compares it to the Kamehameha, in which case, that would definitely qualify as a homage.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:46 pm

Are you sure it’s a Kamehameha, or a Hadouken?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:14 pm

I will probably watch it when it comes out at my local Red Box. I'm burn out by big budget Hollywood films because they are pretty much Mcdonalds of cinema in my opinion. I would rather watch the new Candyman or The Night House instead, to be honest.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:03 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:46 pm Are you sure it’s a Kamehameha, or a Hadouken?
The friend straight up said kamehameha fireball its similar to hoe peoplewho know of what DB is but say the name of things somewhat wrong when recalling it

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:42 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:46 pm Are you sure it’s a Kamehameha, or a Hadouken?
The character calls it a kamehameha. But as an avid Street Fighter/Ryu main in the Marvel Vs titles, it's a shinkuu hadouken. He even even hold his hands very far apart with all the energy taking up loads of space in the middle.

My nephew even called it a kamehameha. And I don't blame anyone for saying it either. One is definitely more famous than the other. In fact, Goku's "shinkuu hadouken" is one of the big reason I gravitated to Dragonball Z in the first place.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:03 pm

The value of cinema is seeing something with people. This is a crowdpleaser so if you wait for it on streaming or red box, you're missing out. Even if they are the "mcdonald's of cinema", those are the films built for the movie theater experience.

And yes, it's a clear DB homage.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:44 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:03 pm The value of cinema is seeing something with people. This is a crowdpleaser so if you wait for it on streaming or red box, you're missing out. Even if they are the "mcdonald's of cinema", those are the films built for the movie theater experience.
Eh, I'd say the value is in technical aspects of the theater including the screen dimensions and the sound, over the other people. You can just as well go to a showing where the theater will be empty and enjoy the overall experience.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:13 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:03 pm The value of cinema is seeing something with people. This is a crowdpleaser so if you wait for it on streaming or red box, you're missing out. Even if they are the "mcdonald's of cinema", those are the films built for the movie theater experience.

I have ruptured discs in my back. Even with a D-Box seat and the rumble all but turned off, it was a painful watch. Covid seating with spacing was okay but some people ignored it and sat where they wanted as the seats weren't roped off. There was no usher (as usual) to get people back to where they belonged. At least no one was on the phone this time out. Probably my boss and his friends who were with me at the time would have asked the offender "politely" to get off the phone! They have had to do this so many times by people who seem more interested in texting or talking on the phone than watching a movie they paid $25 to see! The film itself was okay. Like a big budget Kung Fu epic. But I think since they weren't going to go with the original plot of the 1970s (and later) comics they borrowed heavily from others like The Iron Fist. It's too bad really that bombed so hard on TV or else maybe we could see a team up with Shang Chi and Danny Rand.

Is this the movie theater experience you were raving about? At least I didn't get called names by unruly people or there were no fights or murders. That sort of thing has happened in the past right outside the theater. Most of my well to do friends have quit going to the show opting out for building home theater systems costing many thousands of dollars. That's how we watched Godzilla vs Kong. In 3D and Atmos no less...

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:12 am

Have no interest in the film but I saw this on IG

The Shenron reference is the coolest one since that requires a little more attention to detail, the Kamehameha pose has been replicated a bagillion times.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:18 am

I mean, tbf, the appearance of “Shenron” is based on traditional East Asian designs of their dragons of folklore. Shang Chi’s dragon could very well be a convergence of design.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:32 am

Its not the design I'm referring to, I'm talking about the angle of the shot, Shang Chi running along as the dragon is rising beside him similar to Gohan in the Chala Opening.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:28 pm

In theory, that's true, but people have developed such poor etiquette in cinema-going (texting throughout the movie, phone light on the brightest setting, ringtones going off) that I find I can do without people. And when I do go to the cinema (which before COVID, was a lot), my best experiences were usually the ones where I went to movies by myself. That's not to say I haven't had great experiences with crowds or friends, but there are almost as many horror stories for every great experience.

I'll likely end up seeing Shang-Chi in the cinema, but I'm waiting another week or two when there won't be as many people.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:28 pm

In theory, that's true, but people have developed such poor etiquette in cinema-going (texting throughout the movie, phone light on the brightest setting, ringtones going off) that I find I can do without people. And when I do go to the cinema (which before COVID, was a lot), my best experiences were usually the ones where I went to movies by myself. That's not to say I haven't had great experiences with crowds or friends, but there are almost as many horror stories for every great experience.

I'll likely end up seeing Shang-Chi in the cinema, but I'm waiting another week or two when there won't be as many people.
My brother used complain about going to see movies the first couple of weeks after release for the same reason. But the only time I've experience those rude behaviours, it was them doing it. Out of the dozens of movies I've watched each year, the I've only had a crying baby once. And they promptly left the auditorium.

I usually go to see really big blockbusters opening night. For almost every other movie, I go for matinee discounts show before 6pm and 1pm on weekends. All are pretty empty, especially the early day weekends.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:34 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:56 pm My brother used complain about going to see movies the first couple of weeks after release for the same reason. But the only time I've experience those rude behaviours, it was them doing it. Out of the dozens of movies I've watched each year, the I've only had a crying baby once. And they promptly left the auditorium.

I usually go to see really big blockbusters opening night. For almost every other movie, I go for matinee discounts show before 6pm and 1pm on weekends. All are pretty empty, especially the early day weekends.
The people with crying babies during the (often PG-13 and R-rated) films I'm seeing never leave.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:46 pm

I have NO idea where the hell you all live but I've never dealt with that stuff. Sure, there's the occassional cell phone light you can see, but things like talking during a movie, that sort of thing happens at home as well. I see no point in seeing a smaller film without a crowd. One of my favorite experience at the movies of the last decade was Battle of Gods. That was an amazing crowd.

Shang Chi was great, Tony Leung is a charm factory, and that final act was batshit crazy in all the right ways.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 pm

Things like fights and murder at the movies is reported on all the time. I haven't personally experienced it, but the crying babies thing is another issue that I've heard about repeatedly.

You don't have to worry about talking during a movie or cell phone lights at home, because you can set the ground rules at your own place.

I can understand the value of the crowd experience, but it's not for everyone. Many prefer the solitary experience. And crowds work better with certain films over others.