Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:08 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 am Wanna live action “Dragon Ball”-esque film? Watch a Journey to the West adaptation
Or Child of Peach series

Or any Jackie Chan movie in the 70s

Or

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 am

I still maintain that Child of Peach did Dragon Ball in live action so well that it's genuinely Legally-Not-Dragon Ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdgyfugzUs

Like holy shit, it's perfect
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:26 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 am I still maintain that Child of Peach did Dragon Ball in live action so well that it's genuinely Legally-Not-Dragon Ball

That is a cool find, thanks
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 am I still maintain that Child of Peach did Dragon Ball in live action so well that it's genuinely Legally-Not-Dragon Ball

Wrote about those movies in the original Wuxia thread.

Honestly guys, we can just end any and all "live action Dragon Ball" discussion from here on out with "just go watch the Child of Peach movies" and be done with it.

It literally IS Dragon Ball in all but fucking name. Down to the insane, demented sense of whimsy and toilet humor mixed with slapstick, supernatural kung fu nonsense and super strong wild mountain boy/country bumpkin martial arts savant hero played by a female actress and his talking animal sidekicks. They made this in live action to the exact letter back in the early/mid 1980s, back when DB itself was BARELY just starting.

At this point if all these examples that have BEEN out there for decades and decades and decades isn't enough to satisfy your itch for "live action Dragon Ball", then at a certain level it really IS just about purely "I need Hollywood/Disney and Marvel to validate my interests" rather than just wanting to see this done in live action simply for its own sake and for enjoyment.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 am

Wrote about those movies in the original Wuxia thread.

Honestly guys, we can just end any and all "live action Dragon Ball" discussion from here on out with "just go watch the Child of Peach movies" and be done with it.

It literally IS Dragon Ball in all but fucking name. Down to the insane, demented sense of whimsy and toilet humor mixed with slapstick, supernatural kung fu nonsense and super strong wild mountain boy/country bumpkin martial arts savant hero played by a female actress and his talking animal sidekicks. They made this in live action to the exact letter back in the early/mid 1980s, back when DB itself was BARELY just starting.

At this point if all these examples that have BEEN out there for decades and decades and decades isn't enough to satisfy your itch for "live action Dragon Ball", then at a certain level it really IS just about purely "I need Hollywood/Disney and Marvel to validate my interests" rather than just wanting to see this done in live action simply for its own sake and for enjoyment.
I wouldn’t say it’s wrong if fans specifically want a good live action Dragon Ball movie with the Dragon Ball IP.

But these 1,000,000,000 threads of “Omg is this [insert current movie blockbuster of the super hero variety] proof a Dragon Ball live action movie could work?!?!?” all get silly when Dragon Ball’s DNA is rooted in films that have been around forever and yes, Child of Peach, a movie that came out before Dragon Ball even left Japan and went international, is about as close to a live action Dragon Ball as one could get. Far more so than Marvel Movie #46913

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm

When people talk about a hypothetical new live action Dragon Ball movie, they’re almost always referring specifically to a mainstream Hollywood adaptation. In that sense, Shang-Chi is about as close as they’re likely to get to that, since I seriously doubt there’s going to be another live action Dragon Ball movie anytime in the near future. Hollywood has plenty of Western IP’s that they’re busy milking.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm

To be fair, I think people are talking purely visual effects spectacle when they mention Shang-Chi shows Dragon Ball could work; from a visual standpoint, stuff is being done that wasn't possible back then. As far as the main template though, of course the Dragon Ball-structure has worked cinematically many times over.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 am At this point if all these examples that have BEEN out there for decades and decades and decades isn't enough to satisfy your itch for "live action Dragon Ball", then at a certain level it really IS just about purely "I need Hollywood/Disney and Marvel to validate my interests" rather than just wanting to see this done in live action simply for its own sake and for enjoyment.
It's not about validation. For many, the mainstream Hollywood blockbuster culture is everything, and any kind of foreign production just doesn't hold the same value. For better or worse.

When is any film or tv series ever truly viewed simply for its own sake and for enjoyment? Especially something as popular as Dragon Ball. I know that when I watch a show or movie, it's always about the other people out there watching, to one extent or another. A Hollywood adaptation ensures that as many people as possible will be watching, which also amplifies the enjoyment.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:22 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm When is any film or tv series ever truly viewed simply for its own sake and for enjoyment?
If you're not watching something for your own enjoyment, you're not a fan of it; you're just peer pressured into watching it and thus ARE seeking validation. Simple as that. Caring about the wider audience reaction alongside you is, for most works, secondary at absolute best and missing the point at worst.

Would explain why so many fans despise what Dragon Ball Z actually is, as well as why Star Wars fans are so often insufferably angry— there's a massive gulf between what their so-called object of affection actually is vs. what they desperately want it to be because they're not actually watching it for their own enjoyment.
That on TOP OF the flaws inherent in these works, not because of them.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:22 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm When is any film or tv series ever truly viewed simply for its own sake and for enjoyment?
If you're not watching something for your own enjoyment, you're not a fan of it; you're just peer pressured into watching it and thus ARE seeking validation. Simple as that.
It's never entirely about ones own enjoyment. It can't be, for something that is available to millions and millions of people. The knowledge and awareness that other people are watching is always there, it can't be disconnected.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:14 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm

It's not about validation. For many, the mainstream Hollywood blockbuster culture is everything, and any kind of foreign production just doesn't hold the same value. For better or worse.
How is that not validation?

This thing I like is mainsteam! Yay. Because whenever we get the gazillion “Can Dragon Ball work in live action?” its almost always under the lense of a big blockbuster like Marvel or Star Wars. The idea of a goody low budget Dragon Ball movie made in Japan or China just wouldn’t count.

When is any film or tv series ever truly viewed simply for its own sake and for enjoyment?
I would argue most normal people watch film/tv for enjoyment or because it connects to them on a personal level which usually ties back to enjoyment (feeling validated, feeling less alone, understanding one self better) with Dragon Ball it aint that deep. It’s either A. Nostalgia B. A general enjoyment of action oriented anime C. A love of goofy martial arts schlock D. Thirsting over buff almost always shirtless cartoon dudes

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm When is any film or tv series ever truly viewed simply for its own sake and for enjoyment? Especially something as popular as Dragon Ball. I know that when I watch a show or movie, it's always about the other people out there watching, to one extent or another. A Hollywood adaptation ensures that as many people as possible will be watching, which also amplifies the enjoyment.
I can 100% confirm that this is NOT how I watch any show or movie. The only time other people's opinions affect my viewing experience is if I'm re-watching something I love with a friend or family member who is seeing it for the first time. But I don't need them to enjoy it to validate my own enjoyment.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 pm

I've never had any real bad experiences in the theater. Then again, that might be because I usually see movies a few weeks after they're already out, so not many people are there in those showings.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:58 pm

Sort of related: Shang-Chi director Daniel Destin Cretton will work on an adaptation of the comic "American-Born Chinese", about a Chinese American living in America trying to come to terms with his dual heritage, with the help of the Monkey King.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/10/destin- ... isney.html

More and more this director feels like a suitable candidate for a DB film.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:24 pm

Finally got to watch this movie. The only Dragon Ball vibes I got was when Shenlong was on-screen. My favorite reference is probably Shang running with Shenlong on the background.

Apart from that, I still wouldn't say "this is the closest we're gonna get to a Dragon Ball movie", because the predominant vibe I got from this movie was actually Avatar! All the movements, the light soundtracks even in battles... The characters can even airbend, for Dende's sake! Love it! This is the closest we're gonna get to a good Avatar live-action movie.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:24 pm Finally got to watch this movie. The only Dragon Ball vibes I got was when Shenlong was on-screen. My favorite reference is probably Shang running with Shenlong on the background.

Apart from that, I still wouldn't say "this is the closest we're gonna get to a Dragon Ball movie", because the predominant vibe I got from this movie was actually Avatar! All the movements, the light soundtracks even in battles... The characters can even airbend, for Dende's sake! Love it! This is the closest we're gonna get to a good Avatar live-action movie.
Good thing you’re not an Internet celebrity, or you’d probably get in trouble for that comparison.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 am

Why is that?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 am Why is that?
It seems comparing Avatar TLA to other media gets you in trouble.
All I know is Lindsay Ellis, a youtube content creator, reviewing and analyzing pop culture media got massive backlash for comparing Raya and the last Dragon to Avatar the Last Airbender.
Can't really recall why.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:45 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:04 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 am Why is that?
It seems comparing Avatar TLA to other media gets you in trouble.
All I know is Lindsay Ellis, a youtube content creator, reviewing and analyzing pop culture media got massive backlash for comparing Raya and the last Dragon to Avatar the Last Airbender.
Can't really recall why.
The line of reasoning that Twitter used was that by comparing Raya to Avatar, Ellis was somehow suggesting that all Asian influenced media is the same. They also argued that Raya is supposedly an “authentic” Asian story, while Avatar was made by a bunch of white people appropriating Asian culture. Those people didn’t seem to realize that while Raya and the Last Dragon did have Asian writers, it was conceived of and produced primarily by a bunch of rich white Disney executives.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... lm/.207928

Well, the director was signed on to make a live-action Naruto.

Who knows how well that can go?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.