Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Shang-Chi film has a DB homage

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm

The crying baby thing is common, but murder outside of a theater is not commonplace.

Sure, because no one EVER breaks the rules and talks during a movie at home. Seriously, if people are willing to talk during a movie at the theater when you're not supposed to, why would they adhere to it at home?
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 pm I can understand the value of the crowd experience, but it's not for everyone. Many prefer the solitary experience. And crowds work better with certain films over others.
Sure, but why go to the cinema to see it by yourself?

Crowds do work better with certain films - usually blockbusters (like Shang Chi) and comedies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:24 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm Sure, but why go to the cinema to see it by yourself?

Crowds do work better with certain films - usually blockbusters (like Shang Chi) and comedies.
For me, it's incredibly relaxing, and I love it because it doesn't require planning. I agree that crowds can enhance certain films (my DB Super: Broly, and Avengers: Endgame experiences were among the best), but sometimes I just want to be in an audotorium soaking in all the aspects of the film on the big screen. I used to have AMC A-List, so I'd see a lot of movies by myself then to get the most value out of it, although I would also see a lot with friends of mine who are also A-List members (that sounds way more pretentious than it is lol).

I will say though, another favorite moviegoing experience of mine with a crowd was A Quiet Place. It was great because you could feel that the entire audience was afraid to make a sound. Ultimately I find value in good crowd experiences and in solo movie outings.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:14 am

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm Sure, because no one EVER breaks the rules and talks during a movie at home. Seriously, if people are willing to talk during a movie at the theater when you're not supposed to, why would they adhere to it at home?
People are more likely to adhere to rules inside a home than at a public facility. If they are with someone they know personally, they are more likely to respect that person's standards for watching movies and abide by their wishes. The host gets to make the rules and enforce them in a private setting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:00 am

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:14 am
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm Sure, because no one EVER breaks the rules and talks during a movie at home. Seriously, if people are willing to talk during a movie at the theater when you're not supposed to, why would they adhere to it at home?
People are more likely to adhere to rules inside a home than at a public facility. If they are with someone they know personally, they are more likely to respect that person's standards for watching movies and abide by their wishes. The host gets to make the rules and enforce them in a private setting.
The cinema is a private setting. They get to set the rules and can kick someone out for causing problems.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:24 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm Sure, but why go to the cinema to see it by yourself?

For me, it's incredibly relaxing, and I love it because it doesn't require planning. I agree that crowds can enhance certain films (my DB Super: Broly, and Avengers: Endgame experiences were among the best), but sometimes I just want to be in an audotorium soaking in all the aspects of the film on the big screen. I used to have AMC A-List, so I'd see a lot of movies by myself then to get the most value out of it, although I would also see a lot with friends of mine who are also A-List members (that sounds way more pretentious than it is lol).

I will say though, another favorite moviegoing experience of mine with a crowd was A Quiet Place. It was great because you could feel that the entire audience was afraid to make a sound. Ultimately I find value in good crowd experiences and in solo movie outings.

Generally, I try to find someone to see a movie with me but if there’s a movie I really want to see and nobody else I know wants to see it I will go alone. I ended up seeing the new Candyman by myself.

Marvel films aren’t something I’m interested in enough to see by myself though.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:33 pm

The only intereuptions I generally get at movies are the movies themselves having technical issue. My third viewing of Avatar had the movie fail for the first ten/fifteen minutes. Afterwards it played fine and we all got free movie tickets when we left the theater.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Um... is this thread still Dragon Ball related?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm Um... is this thread still Dragon Ball related?
The relation was trivial at best since Shang-Chi was the main subject, which most people commenting in the thread probably haven't seen.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:13 am

My screening had babies crying and douchebags who wouldn't shut up. Ugh...😩
The world is your's.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am

When I went to see Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly in US theaters some douchebags started laughing during the romance scenes and it was super annoying because I was really into the melodrama and romance elements of the story and their jeering was annoying. Anyway, that sort of thing is a big part of why I prefer to see films at home.

Furthermore, with the increasing indulgence in doing big budget mini-series I'd like to see that format brought over to Dragon Ball instead of just bringing it to theaters. I think that format is dead for mass-consumption.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am When I went to see Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly in US theaters some douchebags started laughing during the romance scenes and it was super annoying because I was really into the melodrama and romance elements of the story and their jeering was annoying. Anyway, that sort of thing is a big part of why I prefer to see films at home.

Furthermore, with the increasing indulgence in doing big budget mini-series I'd like to see that format brought over to Dragon Ball instead of just bringing it to theaters. I think that format is dead for mass-consumption.
You're story reminded me of something that happened with two older friends of mine:

They went to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon when it originally released in theaters. These are two decent guys. I've known them for many years. They would never purposely act like douchebags.

They just thought it was going to be a chinese kung fu movie. They had never encountered wuxia before. When everyone started floating and twirling in the air and such, they started cracking up laughing. They found it extremely hilarious. Unfortunately they couldn't control themselves from laughing and were kicked out of the theater. We still rag on them about it til this day.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:15 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 am When I went to see Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly in US theaters some douchebags started laughing during the romance scenes and it was super annoying because I was really into the melodrama and romance elements of the story and their jeering was annoying. Anyway, that sort of thing is a big part of why I prefer to see films at home.

You're story reminded me of something that happened with two older friends of mine:

They went to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon when it originally released in theaters. These are two decent guys. I've known them for many years. They would never purposely act like douchebags.

They just thought it was going to be a chinese kung fu movie. They had never encountered wuxia before. When everyone started floating and twirling in the air and such, they started cracking up laughing. They found it extremely hilarious. Unfortunately they couldn't control themselves from laughing and were kicked out of the theater. We still rag on them about it til this day.
Damn, that sound obnoxious. 😬😬😬 Glad they got thrown out.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:41 pm

I saw Shang-Chi last night, and was one of just 4 people in my showing. It was glorious, and I loved the movie also. The Dragon Ball reference was a blink-and-miss-it, but it was cool.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:31 am

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:00 am
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:14 am
The cinema is a private setting. They get to set the rules and can kick someone out for causing problems.
I wish they would but where I am I have never seen it happen. I've seen guys smoking and drinking in the theater which was a violation of city fire ordinances and before they allowed beer from the theater itself, a violation of the rules the cinema itself set out. No call to the police or fire marshal to have the unruly patron ejected. We had a murder right outside the theater. Apparently, that was a spill over from an altercation inside the theater. Result? Police weren't called until after the patron was stabbed outside the theater. People on their phones constantly throughout the entire film. Who the hell are you calling at 12:30am in a theater you paid $25 a seat for? Result? No ushers, so the patrons continue. This is why people refuse to go back to that kind of atmosphere. Also, I've been called a N....r to my face by unruly patrons. Result? Nothing...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am

Fair enough. I've seen a variety of responses. Some were hawks for the rules, others were lax about enforcing them.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:40 pm

I see people complain about cinema experiences a lot online, and I have to wonder whether I'm super lucky or there's some cultural differences going on when it comes to cinema etiquette. The worst I've had in the Midlands has been small groups murmuring amongst themselves, and they usually stop if you turn around and make eye contact.

Anyways, they name drop the Kamehameha at the end of the film, but pronounce it the same way the '94 Funimation dub does, so I thought "did I just hear what I thought I heard?"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:05 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:40 pm
Anyways, they name drop the Kamehameha at the end of the film, but pronounce it the same way the '94 Funimation dub does, so I thought "did I just hear what I thought I heard?"
Didn’t that pronunciation last until Kai? I know at least by season 3 they started saying it correctly when performing the attack Kame….Hame….HA! But I think all the way until Kai whenever referring to the attack in conversation they still pronounce it like Kamayamaya

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:29 pm

Finally saw it. For the people who still want another live action Dragon Ball film, that’s probably the closest they’re going to get.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:40 pmI see people complain about cinema experiences a lot online, and I have to wonder whether I'm super lucky or there's some cultural differences going on when it comes to cinema etiquette. The worst I've had in the Midlands has been small groups murmuring amongst themselves, and they usually stop if you turn around and make eye contact.
I think its definitely gotta be a regional thing: because where I live, there is RARELY anything at all like that in movie theater settings. Movie theaters tend to usually be pretty chill, quiet places where I am: and I've lived in some areas that are... pretty fucking rowdy and rough as hell in most other respects otherwise.

Like, horrible shit has happened near and around movie theaters where I am for sure: I definitely more than relate to the person earlier in this thread who mentioned murders taking place at movie theaters, as that was very much a common thing where I grew up as a kid (and it still happens today sometimes too). But most times when you're actually sitting in the theater watching a movie that's being played... people don't usually act up much, if at all, for whatever reason.

I've even gotten into a few pretty serious fistfights myself personally in places like the lobby area of a movie theater (like I said, where I grew up tended to be... pretty rough): but for whatever reason, not much like that seems to happen within the actual theater area playing the actual movie. Sometimes there's shit that breaks out inside the theater area during a movie from time to time, certainly (I can think of some pretty notable instances just off the top of my head): but that isn't usually the norm in most cases on average, day to day. Its typically outside the theater (be it in the lobby or outside in front) where things can get most hectic and potentially dangerous.

Its so odd: where I grew up, people can get shot or stabbed or get into all kinds of insane brawls within direct proximity of a movie theater on a near constant basis... and yet somehow, all these stories people have about trying to watch a movie at the theater and being constantly pestered every single time by loud, yelling people, constant chattering, wailing kids, loud phones, etc.

That stuff... just doesn't happen usually where I am. For some reason or other. Once the movie starts people usually just... sit there and watch it quietly. Occasionally there might be one or two instances like people describe where someone gets loud or there's a crying baby somewhere. But those are fairly rare occurrences in the grand scheme of things.

Again though, that's just my experience from within my neck of the woods.

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:29 pm Finally saw it. For the people who still want another live action Dragon Ball film, that’s probably the closest they’re going to get.
There's literally over 100 years' worth of movies out there that are fairly close to being live action DB movies in all but name: people just refuse to bother with any of them because they aren't Hollywood summer tentpole movies (that and most of them aren't in English and require subtitles: the horror, I know).

I've become fairly convinced over the years that for a lot of people who want another live action DB movie (done by Marvel or whomever of that sort), its never been about just wanting to see a cool DB movie done well in and of itself, but rather its mostly been about some warped sort of "validation" they get from their personal pet nerd property being embraced by the U.S. mainstream (which is absurdly held above the mainstream of countless other parts of the world: its not like those 100 years worth of martial arts fantasy movies are somehow obscurities in their native territories) and being showered in box office dollars and critical praise from said U.S. mainstream.

Because the very thing that they say they want (Dragon Ball done well in live action)... its BEEN DONE (over and over and over and over and over again for literally since long before any of us here were even born) literally a bazillion times in all but Dragon Ball's specific name. It already exists myriad of times over... it just isn't specifically encased in DB's skin, and it isn't Hollywood. And thus, its not "mainstream", since the U.S. mainstream is apparently a stand-in for some folks as the only mainstream that actually matters.

Like ok, sure, if its primarily about DB's specific characters to you (nevermind that many/most of them are basically just Toriyama-ified versions of very standard Wuxia archetypes) then I can sort of get it, maybe. But if all you care about is wanting to see cool superpowered martial arts action spectacle setpieces with characters who fly around at supersonic speeds throwing Ki beams at one another and blowing up mountains and shit, but done in live action... then guys, y'all are more than covered by countless gazillions-fold. Fucking actual 1920s SILENT MOVIES literally had that shit on lockdown, nevermind the countless movies made since then up to this very present day even.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 am

Wanna live action “Dragon Ball”-esque film? Watch a Journey to the West adaptation
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san