Did Dragon Ball inspire animators?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Did Dragon Ball inspire animators?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:47 pm

I mean, were there scenes that were so amazing that inspired animators to get into anime and push the boundaries even further?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ajay

Re: Did Dragon Ball inspire animators?

Post by Ajay » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:49 pm

People like Chikashi Kubota and Yuya Takahashi grew up watching Dragon Ball and then went on to make major marks on the series with their contributions to modern content.

Kubota realised he wanted to animate while watching Dragon Ball. He became friends with Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru later in a life, to the point that Nakatsuru illustrated a piece for Kubota's wedding. He also released a book of Dragon Ball illustrations shortly after working on DBS Broly.

I don't have the sources to hand, but Takahashi's tweeted many times about growing up on Dragon Ball and it being a huge part of his early influences.

No surprise that these two are fan favourites.

There a bunch of animators like this, honestly. Dragon Ball is such a large property that you'd be hard pressed to find people who weren't influenced by it growing up.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:00 am

Considering the large amount of anime inspired art and animation by western creators both official and unofficial now I would be absolutely flabbergasted if at least some of them weren't originally inspired by Dragon Ball Z.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:16 am

I am mega honored that AJAY himself posted on my thread. Love you man.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: