Could have Yamcha cheated on Bulma...with another guy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Could have Yamcha cheated on Bulma...with another guy?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:42 pm

I was seeing some interesting Dragon Ball fanart... and it occurred to me that no one has brought up this possibility.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Could have Yamcha cheated on Bulma...with another guy?

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say no.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm

Nah. A guy who made his entire personality having social anxiety around women doesn’t have much versatility in their sexuality.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:12 pm

There's yaoi of just about every character. If the thought comes up to you that Yamcha could be gay because of fanart, it could also be that unfortunate belief that if a man isn't alpha enough, there is something absolutely wrong with him. In this case, shyness meaning gay. As if there are gay men that don't have absolute confidence in front of anyone including women.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:36 pm

I know Fanart is as meaningful as toilet paper when it comes to canon caracterization. But it is a possiblity I have not seen been brought up.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:43 pm

I know for a fact that there was a thread with this exact topic in the past. :think:

Anyway, to answer your question, that definitely wasn’t what Toriyama had in mind when he wrote that line, but considering he would later claim that Yamcha never truly got over his anxiety around women, it does seem odd to accept that he would just cheat on his girlfriend with other women.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:15 pm

Is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? I don't think so at all.

I don't think that Yamcha ever did any cheating to begin with. Future Bulma says something like that, but Bulma was always insecure about the relationship and accusing Yamcha of unfaithfulness.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm Nah. A guy who made his entire personality having social anxiety around women doesn’t have much versatility in their sexuality.
>Assigned male at birth.
>Anxious around women.
>Really loves women.
>Wishes he could spend time with women without worry.

Ah yes, Yamcha's a Sapphic trans woman.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:43 pm I know for a fact that there was a thread with this exact topic in the past. :think:

Anyway, to answer your question, that definitely wasn’t what Toriyama had in mind when he wrote that line, but considering he would later claim that Yamcha never truly got over his anxiety around women, it does seem odd to accept that he would just cheat on his girlfriend with other women.
I always say that Bulma's paranoia drove him away. If someone keeps being suspicious of your every move you eventually decide it'll make no difference if you actually indulge and probably subconsciously want to get caught.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:45 pm

Yamcha's a professional baseball player, he's fucked men.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:25 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm Nah. A guy who made his entire personality having social anxiety around women doesn’t have much versatility in their sexuality.
>Assigned male at birth.
>Anxious around women.
>Really loves women.

I’d have an easier time buying that interpretation than Yamucha is secretly gay or actually bisexual.

I’m all for lesbian trans Yamucha

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:52 pm

Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:43 pm I know for a fact that there was a thread with this exact topic in the past. :think:
Not only have we had this thread specifically but we have a hundred thousand variants of “Which characters could be LGBTQA” some of them are sincere and some of them are clearly troll bait.

But regardless each time I scream in the sky “The main character is canonically the A in LGBTQA”

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:55 pm
Not only have we had this thread specifically but we have a hundred thousand variants of “Which characters could be LGBTQA” some of them are sincere and some of them are clearly troll bait.

But regardless each time I scream in the sky “The main character is canonically the A in LGBTQA”
Gokuu is a non-binary pan-romantic asexual and I will die on this hill.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:48 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:25 pm
>Assigned male at birth.
>Anxious around women.
>Really loves women.

I’d have an easier time buying that interpretation than Yamucha is secretly gay or actually bisexual.

I’m all for lesbian trans Yamucha
It's the only explanation that makes sense, really.

SMH Blooma you TERF.
She/Her
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:31 am

His initial character arc revolved around wanting to get a girlfriend, not “either or”.
So despite what Chris Sabat’s gaffs try to signal, Yamcha ain’t into men.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:01 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:31 am His initial character arc revolved around wanting to get a girlfriend, not “either or”.
So despite what Chris Sabat’s gaffs try to signal, Yamcha ain’t into men.
He could just be in denial or confused about his sexuality. There's really no way to know since we're talking about a fictional character here.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:06 am

I used my crystal ball and it told me that Yamcha is starting HRT next week. So proud of her and her he/him lesbian life partner Pu-erh. 😭😭
She/Her
bisexual milf

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:09 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 pm I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say no.
I'm gonna agree with my friend here.

His entire character is based around how he loves women and wants a girlfriend. We never see him show that kind of affection to any male character.

Pro tip: Don't use Dragon Ball fan art as a source. I'm sure that there is probably a ton of 'fan art' about King Kai's orientation so I won't even go near that.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:23 am

Jord wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:09 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 pm I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say no.
I'm gonna agree with my friend here.

His entire character is based around how he loves women and wants a girlfriend. We never see him show that kind of affection to any male character.

Pro tip: Don't use Dragon Ball fan art as a source. I'm sure that there is probably a ton of 'fan art' about King Kai's orientation so I won't even go near that.
From my perspective, no one here is an official writer for the franchise, so anything we speculate about is just fanfiction and fan theories. And with those, you can do anything you want.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 am

Can't believe the gays and the trans have gotten in on the marketplace of free ideas!!!!!!!#!!!!!!!:#!$$$
She/Her
bisexual milf