Is Dragon Ball bigger in the West than in the East?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is Dragon Ball bigger in the West than in the East?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:27 pm Plenty of things come to mind.

Star Wars goes fifteen years between releases. Before Disney bought it, people kept asking for more.
The Godfather and many other mod related movies hasn't had a new movie in thirty years or more. That includes Scarface.
Until recently, The Matrix.
People can't stop asking for new entries in F-Zero, Conker, Banjo Kazooie, and many, many, many more dead series

Heck, these are just stuff off the top of my head that I'm not even a huge fan of, I just hear people endlessly request new stuff for.
The only one of those undoubtedly bigger than Dragon Ball is Star Wars. I wouldn't say any of those others are bigger overall franchises than Dragon Ball, even considering their popularity among their niche.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.