Countries that imported the manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Countries that imported the manga?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:12 am

So, something I've noticed while researching the history of the manga internationally is that a lot of countries don't have a domestic release in their own language, and retailers tend to sell editions of the manga by an international publisher in a language that the natives tend to be familiar with.

I'm interested to know how many countries have imported other versions. For example:

Czech Republic and United Arab Emirates imported UK edition by Gollancz

Denmark imported the German manga by Carlsen Comics

Djibouti imported the French manga by Glenat

Greece imported the US English editions by Viz

Peru and Portugal imported the Spanish manga by Planeta DeAgostini

It should be noted this is a common practice when it comes to the anime too, as countries like Burkino Faso, Ivory Coast, Niger and Senegal aired AB Groupe's French dub, so perhaps the Glenat edition of the manga can also be found in those areas? If anyone knows for sure definitely say it here.

Then there are other countries like Sri Lanka, which I've been told has no official manga release, and in Cambodia any editions found are English imports (presumably from the US).

Anyone else have anything to add?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Countries that imported the manga?

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:55 pm

In Mexico a publishing house called Grupo Editorial Vid got the lincence directly from Japan and it was translated from Japanese to Spanish by a woman called Brenda Nava.

But it was sort of a mess. First in 1998 the Vid publishing house published Dragon Ball, 52 issues in American comic book format, then they skipped a part of the story and began the publication of Dragon Ball Z, editing only four comic-type volumes.

In February 2001, the Vid publishing house republished Dragon Ball Z, but with the subtitle 'A new enemy', now in medium tankōbon format, and then, a month later (March 2001) it also reissued Dragon Ball in tankōbon format, as well in the magazine stands were able to find the two manga, that is, four formats of the original story of 'Goku' were published in Mexico ”.

To know how it looked watch this video of the version that became the most popular:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nKP0G53vE7I&t=113s

If you want to know about Vid publishing house the Wikipedia in English is very poor but the Spanish version is more complete (perhaps use Google translate to assist you reading it) https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_Editorial_Vid

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 am

Glenat also published the Manga in the Netherlands and Belgium, translated to Dutch from the (pretty bad) French translation, giving us character names like Sangoku and Genious Turtle.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am

Thanks Saiya6Cit and Jord.

I'm given to believe there's many countries that don't have their own translations and just import the English versions of the manga. Looking through their respective Amazons lately it appears that Saudi Arabia and Singapore also import the Viz editions of the manga.

There also seems to be a Turkish translation of the manga by Gerekli Seyler, so perhaps some other countries in Eastern Europe also stock it? I know they are a store, but interestingly Amazon lists them as the publisher. Anyone have any more info on this?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: