Why haven't we seen female Namekians?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Why haven't we seen female Namekians?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 am Are you sure? Not calling you a liar but that would be strange considering we did get female aliens in the show like the bug queen, Princess Snake, Zangya etc. (I know those are filler) so it would be weird to not have any female aliens in the manga itself.
I’m pretty sure there are no female characters with non-human or alien designs in the manga. As you said, those characters you mentioned were Toei creations.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 pm

I said it before, but while it might be possible to have a more feminine looking and acting Namekian, a true "female" Namekian wouldn't be possible (without a wish from the Dragon or some other plot device).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:29 pm

Huh.... Just thought of something out of that ^

What if Namekians are the way they are from abusing the Dragon Balls in the past? Maybe they were once very humanlike, but a series of crises forced them to seek magical solutions. Fertility crisis? Wish to become asexual. Scarce food? Wish to be able to only drink water to survive. Severe racism? Wish to all become green. And so on and so forth. And the cataclysm that forced Kamiccolo or whatever his name once was to flee to Earth was actually the consequences of abusing the Dragon Balls.

Just a fun thought.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:28 am

King Piccolo was the first Namekian introduced in the story and reproduced asexually so maybe Toriyama thought he had to make their entire race male. The Kais and Kaioshin are born from a fruit and genderless but also appear male (at least the ones drawn by Toriyama). Not sure about the Angels since there are both male and female Angels and they have a father so maybe we'll see a Grand Priestess one day.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:33 am

I just wanted to add that, from what we've seen so far, people from Yardrat also seem to be all male (or male-like or genderless).

There are other active topics about the lack of females in Dragon Ball and I know that bumping is discouraged, but I felt this one was more appropriate in this case.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:20 pm

In other words, Namekians are like Smurfs. interesting...🤔
The world is your's.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:46 pm

I'm not trying to be controversial at all, but what would make for a more "female" Namekian? If they are asexual beings, then it's not like some of them would have what appears to be breasts. They also wouldn't have hair or lipstick. So, in the end, it would be a matter of dress, voice, and a more slender/curvy body? I just don't think that it would make much sense to have a more feminine-looking Namekian. At least, as it stands. If there's a story that develops that there's a subsection of unique Namekians or a mutated type of Namekian that falls in line with our understanding of female characteristics, that would be great. However, I really don't see that happening.

I do really wish that we get more female inclusion, though. If the series does continue on with Pan as one of the main characters, I think that could be really cool. Not just with Pan, but other female characters as well (just no Bra for the cliché factor--maybe Pan's best friend or just other really strong female characters).

I don't think that Dragon Ball will ever shake the boys' club feel because at the end of the day, the author is the author and he will write the stories that interest him and that he relates to (which isn't even necessarily a bad thing), but a stronger female presence could definitely help the series.

I don't know what it is, but I'm not interested in the big female characters that were introduced in Super either (Cauliflah, Kale), but they could theoretically be written better to play a better, stronger role in the series.

I think that at the end of the day, Dragon Ball is a very nostalgia-based series and there might be people from within that don't want to change the status quo simply because they might perceive that the status quo is why they're there in the first place.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 am I believe that Namekians are technically genderless with how they reproduce but it strikes me as odd that we never saw a female or feminine Namekian. It seems to be a specific choice too, since other races like Saiyans got their female characters as early as the Bardock special.
Keep in mind that the idea of the "Namekians" was kind of developed after the alien thing got brought into it with the Saiyans. Previously the character Piccolo Daimaou was supposed to be a demon. Also Kami-sama. It's one of those things that was kind of weird at the time. Why would a demon look similar to the "God" character? That kind of got fixed by the science fiction thing that made them both members of an alien race. To be honest, I kind of liked it when they weren't aliens. It was sort of more fitting with the original theme of Dragonball. Goku being a weird superhuman immortal of some sort and Piccolo/Kami being just weird creatures in a world pretty much full of that.

Yes, I am aware that it's kind of weird that I don't like the whole Saiyan alien thing given my name, but you know....it was kind of off to me.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:02 pm

Bardock the Mexican wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pm Keep in mind that the idea of the "Namekians" was kind of developed after the alien thing got brought into it with the Saiyans. Previously the character Piccolo Daimaou was supposed to be a demon.
He WAS a demon.
Bardock the Mexican wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pmWhy would a demon look similar to the "God" character?
Because he was literally the personification of God's former evil.
Bardock the Mexican wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pmThat kind of got fixed by the science fiction thing that made them both members of an alien race. To be honest, I kind of liked it when they weren't aliens. It was sort of more fitting with the original theme of Dragonball.
God being an alien instead of an earthling doesn't make him any less God, and Piccolo being the personified evil of an alien instead of the personified evil of an earthling doesn't make him any less a demon. I think you missed some plot points here.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Bardock the Mexican wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:54 pm
Keep in mind that the idea of the "Namekians" was kind of developed after the alien thing got brought into it with the Saiyans. Previously the character Piccolo Daimaou was supposed to be a demon.
I am again reminding people that Piccolo Daimao was still a demon and that was not in fact retconned out.
Also Kami-sama. It's one of those things that was kind of weird at the time. Why would a demon look similar to the "God" character?
Because they were the same being before the split. That was made clear before the alien reveal. Its not exactly an issue. I think its a safe guess that Toriyama had the alien refugee idea in his back pocket the same time he came up with Kami being Piccolo's other half. (Which was probably around the time he was wrapping up the Daimao arc)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 pm

Piccolo was indeed both a demon and an alien, even if Toriyama didn’t initially plan for him to be the latter. I’m not entirely sure what exactly earns someone the status of a demon in the Dragon Ball world, but there’s never been anything to suggest that a character has to be from Earth to be one. Even Toei seemed to get the memo, because they made Slug and Garlic Jr. alien demons as well.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:02 pm God being an alien instead of an earthling doesn't make him any less God, and Piccolo being the personified evil of an alien instead of the personified evil of an earthling doesn't make him any less a demon. I think you missed some plot points here.
It works, but it also leads to interesting questions. For example, how did the containment spell thingy Muten Roshi used on Piccolo work if he's ultimately an alien? You know, with a physical body and all that. Stuff like that is why sometimes making new stuff up can ruin what you've already set as the established plot and what not. Oh well, I'm not a huge fan of aliens and all so that might be just my bias creeping in.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:17 pm

Bardock the Mexican wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 pm
It works, but it also leads to interesting questions. For example, how did the containment spell thingy Muten Roshi used on Piccolo work if he's ultimately an alien? You know, with a physical body and all that.
Because he's still a demon. He always had a physical body. Like....what.

Stuff like that is why sometimes making new stuff up can ruin what you've already set as the established plot and what not. Oh well, I'm not a huge fan of aliens and all so that might be just my bias creeping in.
But nothing was actually ruined.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:29 pm

Bardock the Mexican wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 pm It works, but it also leads to interesting questions. For example, how did the containment spell thingy Muten Roshi used on Piccolo work if he's ultimately an alien? You know, with a physical body and all that. Stuff like that is why sometimes making new stuff up can ruin what you've already set as the established plot and what not. Oh well, I'm not a huge fan of aliens and all so that might be just my bias creeping in.
Mafuba's name is kinda a non-indicative, even if King Piccolo wasn't a demon, it'd work on him anyways, it's just a technique to seal creatures.

After all, if it only worked on demons, it wouldn't work on Kami when Piccolo reversed it back on the 23rd tournament, or on Turtle in Black arc's filler moment, or on Zamasu himself.

So yeah, there's just no reason it wouldn't work on King Piccolo, alien or not, demon or not lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:38 pm

tinlunlau wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:20 pm In other words, Namekians are like Smurfs. interesting...🤔
I was going to post that XDDD
but even they have Pitufina, uhhh Smurfette.

Alright, I have read all of the replies, and here is mine:

I suppose this issue happened with Piccolo Junior aka gohan's father figure because kamisama and 1st piccolo looked like demons and not very muscular but even since "our" Piccolo he got ripped and the muscles resemble the male anatomy but I believe they have no gender since they don't reproduce sexually their race has no purpose for it: The don't need breasts cause they don't breast feed, they don't need hips as they don't deliver children vaginally.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:38 pm I was going to post that XDDD
And Smurfette is an artificial creation. Soooo...
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:20 am

Obviously they’re “sexless” while having basically every real-world (and Dragon-World) masculine secondary sex characteristic, so it’s a fair question to ask, but the series really came down hard on that but of lore, so I don’t see it changing. There was a lot more flexibility with, say, Boo.

Maybe they could do something with the idea that comes up in the Granolah arc of their having emigrated from outside U6-7. That might be the one avenue for explaining some decidedly different-looking Namekians being out there.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:48 am

Adamant wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 pm
Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:38 pm I was going to post that XDDD
And Smurfette is an artificial creation. Soooo...
So we need Gargamel to create Namekina, obviously. If he's not available, the Red Ribbon Army would also be a viable option since they're always up when it comes to create humanoid beings.

And just like that, they have material for a new arc or for a new movie. They got away with recycling Superman's origin story, they can get away with this too.

Now, about that plot in which Gohan gets bitten by a radioactive spider...

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:10 pm Piccolo was indeed both a demon and an alien, even if Toriyama didn’t initially plan for him to be the latter. I’m not entirely sure what exactly earns someone the status of a demon in the Dragon Ball world, but there’s never been anything to suggest that a character has to be from Earth to be one. Even Toei seemed to get the memo, because they made Slug and Garlic Jr. alien demons as well.
To speculate, demonic in this context seems to be a state of being more than anything else; a state that someone might reach by becoming evil in an all consuming kind of way, like a dark version of reaching enlightenment in Buddhism. Piccolo Daimao was the cast off evil side of an alien that was stated to have become corrupted by the evils of humanity, literally evil incarnate; so by that logic Piccolo was pretty much born a demon.

It also seems to be a state that one can lose, as Piccolo Jr. was stated to no longer be demonic when he killed Raditz, which happened alongside him becoming less evil.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:46 am

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm . Piccolo Daimao was the cast off evil side of an alien that was stated to have become corrupted by the evils of humanity, literally evil incarnate; so by that logic Piccolo was pretty much born a demon.
This is also why I don't get that people think Piccolo and Kami coming from an alien refugee cancels out Piccolo being a demon. He was quite literally the evil in the original Namekian manifesting into a physical form.
The only thing that changed between Kami providing their backstory at the end of the Daimao arc and the official alien reveal in the Saiyan arc is we found out where Kami and Piccolo came from and they weren't some just random green goblin thing.