Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm

Is there anyone who personally believes that things would’ve been better off if BoG never happened? At the very least, I assume these forums would’ve been dead by now if it weren’t for the revival.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:26 pm

Nope, Movie 14 was the last good thing that came out of this revival. It should definitely have happened. What shouldn't have happened is everything that came after it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 pm

I more important things to worry about, like writing my Gokuu and Vegeta yaoi fic and navigating the US healthcare system.

I mean, the revival has done so much good for fans! Kale and Caulifla (Sapphics)! Broli (man-loving-people)! Cheelai (Sapphics)! Beers (furries, there gays)! Whis (gay, gay, homosexual, gay)! Why ve annoyed at the series when overall there's a lot of Good Shit©?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:47 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm Is there anyone who personally believes that things would’ve been better off if BoG never happened? At the very least, I assume these forums would’ve been dead by now if it weren’t for the revival.
I do kinda feel nostalgic for 2006-2009 when the series was over. But I've enjoyed bits and pieces of the revival here and there. Mostly the fan reaction and the creation of new fans.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:03 pm

No. I've really enjoyed super while acknowledging that it's not as good as the original, and the Broly movie is my favourite Dragon Ball film.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm Is there anyone who personally believes that things would’ve been better off if BoG never happened? At the very least, I assume these forums would’ve been dead by now if it weren’t for the revival.
I choose not to watch the new stuff so it literally has zero impact on me and my enjoyment of what came before.

It's kept the characters relevant among contemporary audiences which can only be a good thing. I remember when GT finished and the franchise's popularity started declining in the English speaking world. I didn't know any kids who were into it after the year 2004.

But now I see random 20-somethings and 8 year olds wearing DB shirts all the time. The average youth knows what it is, which might not have been the case during the late 2000s when nothing was happening with it. A few months ago I had a conversation with a new colleague wearing a DB shirt, that started with us talking about our mutual love of the series.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Yeah, things probably would be better off without it. Keeping the franchise relevant isn't enough to justify the revival material. Popularity is not an inherently good thing, and is usually a double edged sword.

A lot of the new fans either cannot or will not make the distinction between the original material and the revival material. As if it's all just one great big series. That's just one of many problems with the revival.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:35 pm

I really dont like the implication that you'd rather have the forum dead, topic creator.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:36 pm

Pros: Super Broly

Cons: Almost everything else
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:35 pm I really dont like the implication that you'd rather have the forum dead, topic creator.
That’s not exactly what I implied, but I can see how the wording can lead someone to that conclusion. It was meant to be more of a neutral statement.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm

If this is about those constant Social Justice issues that keep popping up, imagine that there is literally nothing new to discuss but how awful Master Roshi/Mr Popo/Toriyama/Toei Animation is. With no hope of any other topic surfacing. THAT's what would happen withOUT the revival. With the revival there is at least some sort of other discussion, as minimal as it is. I care about those issues and they are important but you see what I mean.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm If this is about those constant Social Justice issues that keep popping up, imagine that there is literally nothing new to discuss but how awful Master Roshi/Mr Popo/Toriyama/Toei Animation is. With no hope of any other topic surfacing. THAT's what would happen withOUT the revival. With the revival there is at least some sort of other discussion, as minimal as it is. I care about those issues and they are important but you see what I mean.
I’m not by any means against discussing social justice issues, but yes, if it hadn’t been for the revival, there would likely be nothing left to discuss by 2021, other than the problematic aspects of the series, and even then, people wouldn’t have that controversial Roshi scene in DBS to discuss.

As I said, my point about how these forums would be dead without the revival wasn’t meant to be negative. It’s just something I thought was worth noting, because Dragon Ball was really going through a dry period before BoG.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Oh. If there really is no bad faith or bad subtext in your post, I think we still would have had Kai. Unless you dont count that as part of the revival. I still feel The Final Chapters could have done great on Saturday Mornings.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm

I'm sure there wouldn't be as much activity but no way things would be dead if we didn't have new material. How many old shows and movies keep finding new audiences? Plenty.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 pm Oh. If there really is no bad faith or bad subtext in your post, I think we still would have had Kai. Unless you dont count that as part of the revival. I still feel The Final Chapters could have done great on Saturday Mornings.
In my view, the revival didn’t officially happen until 2013. Sure, we occasionally had some new material before that, but they were few and far between. In the case of Kai, that was just a condensed and repackaged version of something we had already seen before. The only real notable thing about it was that it gave FUNimation the chance to produce a better English dub.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 pm

"I don't like new Dragon Ball. Fucking tryhard edgelord Toriyama has really gone down hill!" -- A Dragon Ball fan in 1990, probably.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm I'm sure there wouldn't be as much activity but no way things would be dead if we didn't have new material. How many old shows and movies keep finding new audiences? Plenty.
Western fandom for stuff like Sailor Moon is mainly based around those who grew up with it in the 90s/early 00s.

You could argue that Dragon Ball was headed in that direction in 2012.

I hear some say that it was still popular through the video games in the late 2000s, but to me it seemed like those people playing the games were already fans in the early 2000s.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:43 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm I'm sure there wouldn't be as much activity but no way things would be dead if we didn't have new material. How many old shows and movies keep finding new audiences? Plenty.
Western fandom for stuff like Sailor Moon is mainly based around those who grew up with it in the 90s/early 00s.

I hear some say that it was still popular through the video games in the late 2000s, but to me it seemed like those people playing the games were already fans in the early 2000s.
The video games had increasingly dwindling sales before Xenoverse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:08 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 pm

That's because they lacked innovation. The DVDs sold like hotcakes and Kai did exceptionally well internationally. Evolution was even made because of how popular the franchise still was.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:14 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:08 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 pm

That's because they lacked innovation. The DVDs sold like hotcakes and Kai did exceptionally well internationally. Evolution was even made because of how popular the franchise still was.
In the case of DBE, that movie was in development hell since the early 2000s, so I’m not sure its existence should be used as an example of how popular Dragon Ball still was in the late 2000s. It’s pretty clear that Fox had no faith in the movie whatsoever, hence why it was made on such a low budget, and barely received any promotion. To my understanding, the only reason it even ended up being made was so Fox wouldn’t lose the rights to the franchise. That’s the same reason why Fant4stic exists.