Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Is anyone annoyed that the revival happened?

Post by KingVegetto » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:31 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:29 am I write a lot of fan fiction and read a lot of fan fiction.

Most fan fiction is garbage - even the ones that are written well in a vacuum tend to horribly miss the point of the series and are self-indulgent misinterpretations of the characters. The readers aren't the strongest judges of taste either, and I would know - I have two fics in the past that became pretty popular, and they are objectively utter garbage. Not even in a "every creator hates his own work!" kind of way, either.

There's good ones if you know what to look for and vet the authors, though
What fanfics have you written? i'm genuinely curious now.

All of the fanfics i've written have been erotic stuff because I have fun doing that, i've never really written a normal fic before. The early stuff i've written is definitely rough around the edges, though the standards of erotic fics are lower then normal ones as they are usually trying to titillate above all else, so as long as people get turned on reading them you won't hear too many complaints.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:54 pm

KingVegetto wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:31 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:29 am I write a lot of fan fiction and read a lot of fan fiction.

Most fan fiction is garbage - even the ones that are written well in a vacuum tend to horribly miss the point of the series and are self-indulgent misinterpretations of the characters. The readers aren't the strongest judges of taste either, and I would know - I have two fics in the past that became pretty popular, and they are objectively utter garbage. Not even in a "every creator hates his own work!" kind of way, either.

All of the fanfics i've written have been erotic stuff because I have fun doing that, i've never really written a normal fic before. The early stuff i've written is definitely rough around the edges, though the standards of erotic fics are lower then normal ones as they are usually trying to titillate above all else, so as long as people get turned on reading them you won't hear too many complaints.
One is in my sig, but I don't write anything even in the erotic realm unless it would take the absolute piss out of the entire concept. I write "normal" stuff, I suppose.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:46 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:54 pm

One is in my sig, but I don't write anything even in the erotic realm unless it would take the absolute piss out of the entire concept. I write "normal" stuff, I suppose.
That's cool, I respect people that write normal stuff as that seems like a takes a higher level of skill then writing erotica does.

I got a kick out of your Family Guy fics, pretty funny.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:21 am

KingVegetto wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:46 am

That's cool, I respect people that write normal stuff as that seems like a takes a higher level of skill then writing erotica does.

....Really?! Those two are horrible, and in the script format at that. I wrote those two when I was 13 and only keep them around because they're the first fics that I've written.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:21 am
KingVegetto wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:46 am

....Really?! Those two are horrible, and in the script format at that. I wrote those two when I was 13 and only keep them around because they're the first fics that I've written.
Oh i've read FAR worse fanfics, there was one infamously bad writer who kept submitting his crappy stories to a now defunct erotic fanfiction site I used to frequent, he literally did the same story over and over again copy-pasted just with different characters each time, frankly i'm amazed his submissions were allowed for so long. I'm amazed you did that well at only 13 years old, I certainly never could've written something like that when I was that age.

BTW why did FF.net ban script formatting for stories? I remember when that change happened and some fics I used to love reading as a kid suddenly vanished due to that new role. Out of all the rules on that site, that one made the least amount of sense to me.