The earliest dub other than the first one you heard.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The earliest dub other than the first one you heard.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 pm

I had to make the title as wide in possibilities as humanly possible. The question is this, other than the first dub or audio you heard of Dragon Ball which OTHER dub did you see next, even if just a glimpse.

I grew up with the Latin American version and thus that was the first one I saw period. But what I want to know which dub other than the first one you heard after knowing Dragon Ball via another version. In my case that would be the Brazilian dub on SBT... At least I hope it is.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The earliest dub other than the first one you heard.

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm

In my country we had the exact same experience as Americans, hearing the Ocean voices in the Saban dub for the first 53 episodes of Z, followed by the Funimation voices for everything that came afterwards.

The Big Green dub in 2011 was the first new one I ever heard on the internet. This clip specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5AK43xvmW0

I don't think anyone outside of Kanzenshuu knew what it was back then.

The first non-English dub might have been the Spanish dub, when I was hearing voice comparisons for Turles/Tullece.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The earliest dub other than the first one you heard.

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 pm

The first I witnessed was the modern Funimation in-house cast (Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, etc.) with their original Buu saga dub. Next, I watched the majority of the Ocean dub in reruns of the Saiyan and Frieza sagas on Toonami. Funnily enough, I didn't notice a difference as a kid, I just remember thing the Ocean cast sounded "younger."
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.