Letter from Akira Toriyama to Masami Kurumada

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BTS

Letter from Akira Toriyama to Masami Kurumada

Post by BTS » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:36 am

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Letter from Akira Toriyama to Masami Kurumada

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm

Interesting. I heard there's a rivalry between the Dragonball and Saint Seiya fandoms sometimes.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:40 am

This is interesting.

St Seiya is very much different from Dragon Ball, but I feel Goku and Vegeta possess as much intensity as Seiya Pegasus does.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 pm

I love the fact he never read manga too; maybe that's why his style was so wacky and unorthodox since he wasn't following all the tropes the way "should"...
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:53 pm

What is St Seiya?

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Peach wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:53 pm What is St Seiya?
It's a shounen action series and one of Dragon Ball's contemporaries; the manga ran from 1986 until 1990, the anime from 1986 through 1989. The series has an Ancient Greece motif to it.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am

Thank you for sharing it was interesting to read for sure :)
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm Interesting. I heard there's a rivalry between the Dragonball and Saint Seiya fandoms sometimes.

In mexico there is. And the reason is quite funny: There are only two television networks one is called TV Azteca which got Saint Seiya and there was this hype and toys and fuss, so the other one called Televisa, wanting to compete, got DRAGON BALL! (In borat's voice: very nice, Great Sucess!!)

At the end there is not that much of a rivalry cause saint seiya (or caballeros del zodiac/ zodiac gentlemen as we call it) was earlier so it became something generational, it is saint seiya, dragon ball, pokemon and yugioh. Fans of Saint Seiya are around 38-42 years old and DB fans are 30-35, we are all adults, so we leave each other alone.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am Thank you for sharing it was interesting to read for sure :)
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm Interesting. I heard there's a rivalry between the Dragonball and Saint Seiya fandoms sometimes.

In mexico there is. And the reason is quite funny: There are only two television networks one is called TV Azteca which got Saint Seiya and there was this hype and toys and fuss, so the other one called Televisa, wanting to compete, got DRAGON BALL! (In borat's voice: very nice, Great Sucess!!)

At the end there is not that much of a rivalry cause saint seiya (or caballeros del zodiac/ zodiac gentlemen as we call it) was earlier so it became something generational, it is saint seiya, dragon ball, pokemon and yugioh. Fans of Saint Seiya are around 38-42 years old and DB fans are 30-35, we are all adults, so we leave each other alone.
Funny because in Japan Dragonball actually came out first.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:16 pm
Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am Thank you for sharing it was interesting to read for sure :)

Funny because in Japan Dragonball actually came out first.
yeah but before the internet series really took a long time to get dubbed. Even Disney movies I remember they would take at least one year to come out in Mexico after they were released in USA, despite of being so close. I believe technology itself and telecomunications made everything a lot easier since 1997.