Does the copyright year gradually change over time in the Japanese language credits? Does it even have one?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does the copyright year gradually change over time in the Japanese language credits? Does it even have one?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:04 pm

In Funimation's older releases, the copyright year in the end credits often reflected when their dub was produced, rather than the year that the episode was produced.

In more recent releases they seem to go with just a single year for an entire series. In GT's Green Brick release for example all 64 episodes have a 1996 year, even though half of it aired the following year. The Blue Water dub of GT also did this.

I can't read Japanese so it's impossible for me to know if there's even a year listed in any of the Japanese language credits.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub