I got a really weird batch of DBZ singles, anyone know more?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

I got a really weird batch of DBZ singles, anyone know more?

Post by Bridgeman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:42 am

So I got some DBZ singles, Saiyan and Namek saga, from Australia. But the weird thing is, it has the numbering on it like all of Madman's singles, but it says both Madman and Pioneer on the cover. I thought Pioneer only released the singles in the US. They're also all region 4, which is Australia, but the Madman singles I've gotten up until this point (not from Australia) have all been region 2 + region 4. Also, all of the ones I got from Australia have a one sided cover, whereas all the others have double printed covers with stuff printed on the inside.

I'm so confused. Are these the Madman versions or the Pioneer versions? Why are they different? Did Madman release altered versions outside of Australia?

Edit: I compared the first volume, "Arrival", to a digital copy of the Pioneer version I have. It's different, so definitely Madman's release. But I'm still confused why it says Pioneer on the covers and the covers are only single sided. Did Madman only print double sided for the later volumes?

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: I got a really weird batch of DBZ singles, anyone know more?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Bridgeman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:42 am So I got some DBZ singles, Saiyan and Namek saga, from Australia. But the weird thing is, it has the numbering on it like all of Madman's singles, but it says both Madman and Pioneer on the cover. I thought Pioneer only released the singles in the US. They're also all region 4, which is Australia, but the Madman singles I've gotten up until this point (not from Australia) have all been region 2 + region 4. Also, all of the ones I got from Australia have a one sided cover, whereas all the others have double printed covers with stuff printed on the inside.

I'm so confused. Are these the Madman versions or the Pioneer versions? Why are they different? Did Madman release altered versions outside of Australia?

Edit: I compared the first volume, "Arrival", to a digital copy of the Pioneer version I have. It's different, so definitely Madman's release. But I'm still confused why it says Pioneer on the covers and the covers are only single sided. Did Madman only print double sided for the later volumes?
I got this Madman single of the Saiyan Saga from ebay in Australia and it also has Pioneer's logo

I think everything with the Ocean DBZ cast that was released in Australia has the Pioneer logo, including the first three movies. Back in the day I only remember getting a VHS of Dead Zone and mainly collecting the singles with the in-house cast, so I can't compare what I buy now to what I already had.

Pioneer owned the sublicense to the first 53 episodes in America up until 2003. Since their logo appears on these releases I'd assume that their rights also extended to Oceania.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Re: I got a really weird batch of DBZ singles, anyone know more?

Post by Bridgeman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Weird. Maybe it's just for the Saiyan and Namek saga then.