Home video release ideas thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Home video release ideas thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:33 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pmThe only recent examples that come to mind of a dub being "too expensive" to license are the Netflix dubs of Baki and Vinland Saga. The home media distributor, Sentai Filmworks, ended up dubbing these in-house for their Blu-Rays, instead of including the dubs produced by Netflix.
Don't forget 'Fly Me To The Moon' in Evangelion, that song was reported to cost a staggering 6 figures per episode :shock: .
theoriginalbilis wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm Personally, I just want to see official releases of "Ocean Kai" and the Japanese broadcast audio (at least for Z) within my lifetime. :lol:
Yeah, those two are definitely what I'd want the most.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Even if it's niche, there's definitely a collector market for lost, out-of-print, or obscure dubs. *gestures at the majority of Discotek Media's catalogue*
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:35 pm

How about a spruced-up version of the Dragon Boxes? Maybe even have new boxes for Kai and Super.

Make them like the Japanese Boxes with the bonus features and everything, but also include:
-Pretty much all of the stuff talked about on this page: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/my- ... t-perfect/
-The HQ Japanese broadcast audio of DB, Z and GT
-The original 4:3 aspect ratio for DB, Z and GT with NO CROPPING AND NO DVNR
-Both 16:9 and 4:3 versions of the movies and Kai
-The original U.S. broadcast versions of the in-house FUNimation dubs (with all recaps and previews intact) and their later uncut versions, possibly also including retakes from releases such as the Z Orange Bricks
-The alternate Westwood dub of Z and the Blue Water dubs of DB and GT
-The Harmony Gold dub of DB episodes 1-5 and movies 1 and 3
-The BLT dub of DB episodes 1-13 and movie 1
-The Pioneer/Ocean and AB Groupe dubs of the movies and specials
-The Speedy dubs of the movies and some of the Z episodes
-Probably the TV edits of Pioneer/Ocean movies 1 and 2
-The Creative Products dubs of DB, DB movies 2 and 3 and Z episodes 1-35
-The Solar Entertainment dubs of Z movies 10 and 11
-The edited Saban/Ocean dub of Z episodes 1-53/67 and movie 3 (maybe the 3-part TV version)
-The lost Frontier dub of DB movie 1
-The unreleased Ocean dub of Kai
-The Bang Zoom dub of Super
-The movies box could have an extra box containing the two new Z movies and the Super movies
-The disc with DB movie 4 could have the live-action "Evolution" movie
-All creditless OPs and EDs
-The Z Terebikko game, functions like an actual DVD game
-Maybe the bonus features from other home releases
-Additional foreign language dubs could also be included depending on the regional versions, for example the North American releases could have the Spanish dubs from Intertrack (and possibly the "Zero y el Dragon Magico" dub), while the European releases could have the French, German and Portuguese dubs from AB Groupe
-The Dragon Books could have extra information regarding the many dubs and releases, and maybe a section on why this release exists

Pretty much everything any fan of Dragon Ball wants (especially the obscure side of it) would be included with this box set. Now THAT's the definitive edition of "Dragon Ball" for all fans everywhere! Though if that were to be real, I'd imagine some of the visual quality would have to be sacrificed to fit as much content onto these discs.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:35 pm How about a spruced-up version of the Dragon Boxes? Maybe even have new boxes for Kai and Super.

Make them like the Japanese Boxes with the bonus features and everything, but also include:
-Pretty much all of the stuff talked about on this page: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/my- ... t-perfect/
-The HQ Japanese broadcast audio of DB, Z and GT
-The original 4:3 aspect ratio for DB, Z and GT with NO CROPPING AND NO DVNR
-Both 16:9 and 4:3 versions of the movies and Kai
-The original U.S. broadcast versions of the in-house FUNimation dubs (with all recaps and previews intact) and their later uncut versions, possibly also including retakes from releases such as the Z Orange Bricks
-The alternate Westwood dub of Z and the Blue Water dubs of DB and GT
-The Harmony Gold dub of DB episodes 1-5 and movies 1 and 3
-The BLT dub of DB episodes 1-13 and movie 1
-The Pioneer/Ocean and AB Groupe dubs of the movies and specials
-The Speedy dubs of the movies and some of the Z episodes
-Probably the TV edits of Pioneer/Ocean movies 1 and 2
-The Creative Products dubs of DB, DB movies 2 and 3 and Z episodes 1-35
-The Solar Entertainment dubs of Z movies 10 and 11
-The edited Saban/Ocean dub of Z episodes 1-53/67 and movie 3 (maybe the 3-part TV version)
-The lost Frontier dub of DB movie 1
-The unreleased Ocean dub of Kai
-The Bang Zoom dub of Super
-The movies box could have an extra box containing the two new Z movies and the Super movies
-The disc with DB movie 4 could have the live-action "Evolution" movie
-All creditless OPs and EDs
-The Z Terebikko game, functions like an actual DVD game
-Maybe the bonus features from other home releases
-Additional foreign language dubs could also be included depending on the regional versions, for example the North American releases could have the Spanish dubs from Intertrack (and possibly the "Zero y el Dragon Magico" dub), while the European releases could have the French, German and Portuguese dubs from AB Groupe
-The Dragon Books could have extra information regarding the many dubs and releases, and maybe a section on why this release exists

Pretty much everything any fan of Dragon Ball wants (especially the obscure side of it) would be included with this box set. Now THAT's the definitive edition of "Dragon Ball" for all fans everywhere! Though if that were to be real, I'd imagine some of the visual quality would have to be sacrificed to fit as much content onto these discs.
As amazing as a box set like that would be, it would have to cost an absolute bomb between all the negotiations with companies all over the world, doing up booklets, packaging, etc. All those tracks could be included without compromising the picture quality, but it would mean pressing more discs, which would also add to the cost.

Interestingly FUNimation has started to dub Cowboy Bebop in Latin Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, so we may see some dubs like that in the future, as some older releases like the Ultimate Uncuts and movie packs have the Latin Spanish dub.

We're also not sure if the Frontier Enterprises dub exists, as only one actor has spoken about it, and no one seemed to have heard about it until like 2015. I hope it did exist and will surface someday though, it was nice seeing the Harmony Gold dub finally found, so this would be another cool piece of Dragon Ball dub history to preserve, if it was made.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: