How far ahead than the latest chapter is Toyotaro's work?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

How far ahead than the latest chapter is Toyotaro's work?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:52 am

This week, chapter 76 was released, so is Toyo now, today, september 22nd drawing, say, chapter 80? is he working on chapter 77? is he already wrapping up this arc, drawing chapter, IDK, 95?

This goes for Toyo and also for every other mangaka. How is the working schedule, do they usually draw what will be released next month? or they work in advance?
How did Toriyama work?

I was thinking also about when Toyo lost his notes last year, around chapter 60 or so... did he lose notes of that arc or maybe he lost the notes of the fight between Goku and Granola??

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: How far ahead than the latest chapter is Toyotaro's work?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 am

Hard to say.. I remember reading years ago that the average manga artist for Shonen Jump had to be at least three chapters ahead of whatever is published that week. So if chapter 4 is published then the artist in question would have to be working on/finishing up chapter 7. That’s a lot of drawing, it’s no wonder why they get so burned out.

If where going to keep this related to Dragon Ball, Toriyama back in the 80s was not only drawing at least 45 pages a week and going over things with his editor for DB, he was also drawing designs for toys and doing concept art for Dragon Quest which pumped out a new game almost every year. The dude was fucking busy man, you can’t really blame him for being for “forgetful” or cutting corners in later chapters.

I have no idea about Toyotaro though, but seeing as though he’s doing at least 45 pages a month, his schedule is a lot less stressful than Toriyama’s even if he’s still required to be 3 chapters ahead. I will say he’s improving though, his action scenes are a lot less repetitive.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:12 pm

For weekly comics at JUMP it's only three weeks. For monthly comics I believe there is no buffer. At least, Shingeki no Kyojin didn't have one.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:56 pm

Gotcha, thanks.
I thought something like 3 chapters ahead was the rule... just being one week ahead would be too much even for Japan's work policies, and much more ahead than that would require the artist to work inside the ROSAT.