Which year do you consider the start of the revival?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Which year do you consider the start of the revival?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 pm

I noticed a lot of people claiming the revival started with the Battle of Gods movie but I'm not too sure about that.

I'd say it started in 2002 which is where Dragon Ball Z was extremely popular in Nort America... so much that it was at one point the most popular show on television (quite a feat for a show that wasn’t airing on primetime television). Since then we got the Kanzenban, the PS2 games, that tv special where Goku watches Japanese historical figures fight, and the Dragon Boxes. Iirc one Japanese fan said DBZ's newfound popularity in the states resparked interest in the franchise as it was considered dead in Japan up until that point.

Not to discredit what the modern stuff has done for the franchise as it's now arguably more popular now than it ever was since it was first serialized, but such feats I feel wouldn't be possible if it hadn't blown up in the states.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Which year do you consider the start of the revival?

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:54 pm

2009 or 2013, depending on how you look at it. Kai, imo, set into motion the events that snowballed into the fullon revival, but the revival proper really started with BoG, where we got brand new story content.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm

It really depends on what you classify as a revival. I say 2013 because that was the beginning of brand new content, no less than a theatrical film. Dragon Ball was already going strong in North America with the dub going into 2002, so I don't think of that as a revival because the franchise was already very hot during that time, even if the series itself was complete. Kai definitely brought in new fans, but Battle of Gods was a new film that ushered in a new series and more movies.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:43 pm

For English speaking countries I break things up like this,

Late 90s-early 2000s = peak popularity of Dragon Ball
Mid-late 2000s = the dark years
Early 2010s = the period when Dragon Ball was only relevant because of nostalgia
Mid-2010s onward = the revival

For Japan,

Late 80s-early 90s = peak popularity of Dragon Ball
1995-1997 = the decline in popularity that happened when the series was still on the air
1998-2001 = the dark years where there weren't even any video games
2002-2012 = the period when Dragon Ball was only relevant because of nostalgia
Mid 2010s onward = the revival
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:00 am

..................................1984!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:11 am

2013. I don’t consider the show airing late to the party in English speaking countries in the West a revival by any means because it’s not a revival of any sort. The series was still on-going in Japan when Dragon Ball came to America. Albeit in the twilight of its life.

Episode of Bardock and Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return were treated as one off things.

Dragon Ball Kai was just a Special Edition run of Z.

Battle of Gods though? It beget Resurrection F which beget Super which used those movies for its first 29 episodes. Battle of Gods also officially declared GT no longer part of the anime continuity, introduced “Super Saiyan God” and Destroyer Gods, and the the multiverse. Things that are identifiable with the revivals dna and what separates it from older material.

Dragon Ball Kai

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:55 pm

2008. Hell, it's even in the OVA's title "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!".

Two years later, Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Heroes came up. Sure, the former would only live for a few years, regrettably. But it leaved a great legacy.

One year later, Bardock OVA.

Then two years later, Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman came up.

The fact that things were released after two years does show some sort of "coming back", which would inevitably lead to a new series (but if only this new series were good). It all began with a simple OVA for celebrating purposes that still isn't even available outside of Japan!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Between 1996 and 2012 there were videogames, OVAs, adaptations and live action movies, none of them revived anything. To be fair, I don't think BoG revived anything, the franchise wasn't dead, plenty of stuff was still being released.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:44 pm 2013.

Between 1996 and 2012 there were videogames, OVAs, adaptations and live action movies, none of them revived anything. To be fair, I don't think BoG revived anything, the franchise wasn't dead, plenty of stuff was still being released.
I disagree BoG absolutely revived interest for the franchise. It was, after all, the first DBZ full length feature since the 13th DBZ movie. I mean, it added new characters and a completely new Super Saiyan form. Of course it revived the franchise. I mean, sure DBZ had always been popular, but this was the first time in which there seemed to have been an absolute push to continuing with the franchise.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:35 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:17 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:44 pm 2013.

I disagree BoG absolutely revived interest for the franchise. It was, after all, the first DBZ full length feature since the 13th DBZ movie. I mean, it added new characters and a completely new Super Saiyan form. Of course it revived the franchise. I mean, sure DBZ had always been popular, but this was the first time in which there seemed to have been an absolute push to continuing with the franchise.
Definitely. By no means am I undervaluing any interest generated by some of the games and OVAs...but there was not constant Dragon Ball talk like this until Battle of Gods. Here on the forum, maybe, but this is a forum of hardcore Dragon Ball fans. But just look at all the big YouTube channels that emerged following BOG and Super. I'm sure there are people aware of Super who don't even watch any Dragon Ball. People I know who are film fans, but not Dragon Ball fans, even asked me if they should go see Super: Broly. Speaking purely for myself, I had been an on-and-off fan of Dragon Ball over the years, but without Battle of Gods and what followed, I likely wouldn't have had renewed vigor for the franchise and probably would have never watched GT (ironic consider how people clash over the two). At the time, it was exciting knowing I'd be able to experience new theatrical films and a series. Also I see Dragon Ball action figures in stores again, something I don't remember seeing from maybe 2007-2013.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:35 pm But just look at all the big YouTube channels that emerged following BOG and Super.
I don't think this is a worthwhile medium to use for any kind of comparison, here. This is roughly just following YouTube's 10- and 15-minute video length limit removals/upgrades, and subsequent jump in activity on the site overall. There's a correlation, but I would argue not causation. People were just naturally moving to the latest medium that made sense to them. Everyone's uncle having a YouTube channel was just the everyone's uncle having a fansite of two or three generations prior.

Anyway, the answer is 2013.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:09 pm

I suppose that 2008-2012 could be seen as a proto-revival period, but even at that point, the general consensus was that Dragon Ball as a whole was long past its heyday. The big shonen series that most people were talking about at that point were One Piece and Naruto. The Jump special was just a one-off, and stuff like Online and Heroes weren’t really that big at the time. BoG was the true beginning of the current era.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Probably September 21, 2008.
With Yo Son Goku & Friends Return.
Followed by;
DBZ Kai (April 5, 2009 – March 27, 2011)
Plan to eradicate the saiyans remake (November 11, 2010)
Episode of Bardock (December 17, 2011)
Dream 9 Toriko & One Piece & Dragon Ball Z Super Collaboration Special (2013)
Then BoG (2013)

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:35 pm But just look at all the big YouTube channels that emerged following BOG and Super.
I don't think this is a worthwhile medium to use for any kind of comparison, here. This is roughly just following YouTube's 10- and 15-minute video length limit removals/upgrades, and subsequent jump in activity on the site overall. There's a correlation, but I would argue not causation. People were just naturally moving to the latest medium that made sense to them. Everyone's uncle having a YouTube channel was just the everyone's uncle having a fansite of two or three generations prior.

Anyway, the answer is 2013.
Maybe so, it's just that YouTube has been around since 2005 and I don't remember any big push on talking about DB content prior to 2013. While a lot of it can be chalked up to changes in YT, I'd still say there was a noticeable fervor about the new series that added to it. Especially when you consider people had new forms, villains, etc to talk about.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 pm I'd say it started in 2002 which is where Dragon Ball Z was extremely popular in Nort America
It's barely few years after series ended in Japan. Hard to call that a revival. Although it made DB games being created again.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:31 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 pm I'd say it started in 2002 which is where Dragon Ball Z was extremely popular in Nort America
It's barely few years after series ended in Japan. Hard to call that a revival. Although it made DB games being created again.
As long as material is consistently being made and selling, Dragon Ball will never die. The PS2 games and DVDs for example sold like hotcakes.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:46 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:31 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm
As long as material is consistently being made and selling, Dragon Ball will never die. The PS2 games and DVDs for example sold like hotcakes.
True, i think even when there isn't a weekly anime or manga running there will still be merchandise and lots of other things like games being made in some form. Dragon Ball as a franchise won't truly be over and dead certainly not anytime soon.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:48 am

In terms of general public and fandom? BOG 2013.
In terms of actual meta and universal continuation? Kanzenban ending 2002. It's like 9/10 things that have been added by Toriyama in the lore since then were to expand Vegeta's perspective and development. Even Beerus and Whis taught HIM more than Goku. Goku learned nothing new, it's the same lessons in DB from Master Roshi repeated.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:51 am

2013 obviously. The point of a revival is to make something popular again, and Dragon Ball hype skyrocketed only after the release of BoG.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:05 pm

2013, because a revival should in theory not just be a new major installment, but also lead to a resurgence. Battle of Gods didn't just give us back the characters we love with one more big battle, it actually expanded the lore and gave Super a reason to exist.

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions isn't considered the revival of the original anime series, as it is a one-off epilogue that doesn't leave more to be explored. That's what Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return was in 2008, it didn't revive the series as such, but it was a brief celebration of the past not intended to be anything more.

And Kai is no more a revival than any HD remaster of an old show is. The only real difference was the music, and we all know how that turned out. As much as I love Kai it was just the old Z anime repurposed for another generation, it wasn't designed to bring anything new to the table.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: