How popular is Super with Kids?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

How popular is Super with Kids?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:03 am

It continues to do awesome in the UK on Pop and CN Latin America was airing it until recently and will continue to air it when they are done editing the show. Can you show us some first hand knowledge of how Super is doing with the audience of children?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: How popular is Super with Kids?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:16 am

I can't say for sure as I don't know many people with kids, but I do remember one Sunday morning while the Tournament of Power was airing on Fuji TV, being on the bus and hearing the Japanese version of Super coming out from earphones a few seats behind me. I remember thinking there's a kid that will have an awesome childhood.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:51 pm

I can't even tell how many kids with Blue Goku t-shirts or backpacks I've met the past few years.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Popular enough to warrant Macy's to fly a SSJB Goku balloon on Thanksgiving.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Among kids who are into Dragon Ball? Very popular.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

jgforever

Post by jgforever » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:47 pm

Just wondering, are you referring to kids in a specific region of the world or just in general? I feel like the answer may differ depending on the country.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:42 pm

I saw a few kids with SSJB Goku t-shirts.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:35 am

jgforever wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:47 pm Just wondering, are you referring to kids in a specific region of the world or just in general? I feel like the answer may differ depending on the country.
I meant mostly abroad or outside of Japan.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jgforever

Post by jgforever » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 am

In that case, I would say that most kids have heard about Dragon Ball, but have either not seen it, or have only consumed parts of it. I have seen kids wear Dragon Ball shirts occasionally in public so there are definitely younger fans.

However I don’t believe that it’s the most popular anime with kids. That title would go to more current anime like My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer, stuff that is still airing new episodes or releasing new chapters.

cactus

Post by cactus » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 pm

jgforever wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 am In that case, I would say that most kids have heard about Dragon Ball, but have either not seen it, or have only consumed parts of it. I have seen kids wear Dragon Ball shirts occasionally in public so there are definitely younger fans.

However I don’t believe that it’s the most popular anime with kids. That title would go to more current anime like My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer, stuff that is still airing new episodes or releasing new chapters.
When DBS was still on air it was one of the most or if not the most popular, however since the ToP ended other shows like JJK, MHA, OP, Demon slayer are very trendy right now. It's also understandable besides the manga there has been no animated content for about 4 years now. When Dragon Ball brings back the anime it will be popular as always.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 pm

cactus wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 pm
jgforever wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 am In that case, I would say that most kids have heard about Dragon Ball, but have either not seen it, or have only consumed parts of it. I have seen kids wear Dragon Ball shirts occasionally in public so there are definitely younger fans.

When DBS was still on air it was one of the most or if not the most popular, however since the ToP ended other shows like JJK, MHA, OP, Demon slayer are very trendy right now. It's also understandable besides the manga there has been no animated content for about 4 years now. When Dragon Ball brings back the anime it will be popular as always.
It's still very popular. It's one of the most viewed anime on KissAnime and it still has reruns.

Pretty impressive for such an old franchise.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:09 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 pm It's still very popular. It's one of the most viewed anime on KissAnime and it still has reruns.

Perhaps you meant “used to be”?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:09 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 pm It's still very popular. It's one of the most viewed anime on KissAnime and it still has reruns.

Perhaps you meant “used to be”?
(piracy link removed)

Nope.

Dragon Ball and DBZ are up there too beating out a lot of the new shit.

I expect nothing less from the grandaddy of modern shonen.
fadeddreams5 wrote: