With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main cast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main ca

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:20 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:06 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:45 pm

They're not. :)

I'm talking about on a broader level, beyond individuals personally not liking it. It still has meaning outside of that.
Ah, I gotcha. Sure, I guess I'll give you that. :thumbup: Anyway I don't take a direct offense to the term, it's just that if someone verbally referred to me as such, I wouldn't know how to respond. It would just feel awkward.

Anyway. Minorities. Dragon Ball. Assuming the OP is talking within the context of Dragon Ball, I'm going to add like some others have said that Uub is the most natural choice to headline the franchise if they want to take it there. Just write some more actual character into him.
To me it's not even a pure race of minority thing. I get that the characters have mostly the same designer but from an aesthetic perspective it gets boring how every main character has the same skin and hair color. Uub is a great choice to freshen this up and make the cast look less samey. That's why I like the Namek arc so much from a visual standpoint. You got characters in all shapes and colors, which made them more distinctive. Just imagine if the Ginyu force all had the same skin color and hair color. Their design would be way less interesting.
It would make their design less interesting, but it sure wouldn't make their poses look less gay as shit.

And I'll cosign with Demon Prince Piccolo, I would like to see a Piccolo-led series. If you add Gohan into it, you've just created the cutest relationship in all of Shōnen.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main ca

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:45 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:20 pm
Jord wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:06 pm
Ah, I gotcha. Sure, I guess I'll give you that. :thumbup: Anyway I don't take a direct offense to the term, it's just that if someone verbally referred to me as such, I wouldn't know how to respond. It would just feel awkward.

Anyway. Minorities. Dragon Ball. Assuming the OP is talking within the context of Dragon Ball, I'm going to add like some others have said that Uub is the most natural choice to headline the franchise if they want to take it there. Just write some more actual character into him.
To me it's not even a pure race of minority thing. I get that the characters have mostly the same designer but from an aesthetic perspective it gets boring how every main character has the same skin and hair color. Uub is a great choice to freshen this up and make the cast look less samey. That's why I like the Namek arc so much from a visual standpoint. You got characters in all shapes and colors, which made them more distinctive. Just imagine if the Ginyu force all had the same skin color and hair color. Their design would be way less interesting.
It would make their design less interesting, but it sure wouldn't make their poses look less gay as shit.

And I'll cosign with Demon Prince Piccolo, I would like to see a Piccolo-led series. If you add Gohan into it, you've just created the cutest relationship in all of Shōnen.
A Piccolo-led series would fulfill the TC's wishes, as we ALL know Piccolo is actually black
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16 pm
Jord wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am To me it's not even a pure race of minority thing. I get that the characters have mostly the same designer but from an aesthetic perspective it gets boring how every main character has the same skin and hair color. Uub is a great choice to freshen this up and make the cast look less samey. That's why I like the Namek arc so much from a visual standpoint. You got characters in all shapes and colors, which made them more distinctive. Just imagine if the Ginyu force all had the same skin color and hair color. Their design would be way less interesting.
So...by this definition, Piccolo constitutes as a minority right? Because I'd take a Piccolo-led spin-off series lol.
That is seriously a great idea. Not kidding. Piccolo is probably the best character to lead a spinoff. Would absolutely love to see it.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:58 pm That is seriously a great idea. Not kidding. Piccolo is probably the best character to lead a spinoff. Would absolutely love to see it.
Yep! My comment was partially in jest, but I'm also being completely serious. Piccolo is my favorite character, and I'd love watching a series from his POV, right from when he was hatched from the egg up through where he is currently. It would be a very different DNA from what Dragon Ball currently is, of course.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I also co-sign on the Piccolo led series. He can definitely carry it.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:42 pm

I love Piccolo as much as anyone else but I can't bring myself to be interested in a 20 episode mini series of him monologuing all the way through.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:42 pm I love Piccolo as much as anyone else but I can't bring myself to be interested in a 20 episode mini series of him monologuing all the way through.
I was thinking of it as more of a Mandalorian-style thing where his inner thoughts are more mysterious; we see his exploits moreso than hear his thoughts. I feel like his character was pretty ambiguous throughout the Saiyan saga especially, until his sacrifice. The show would be more based on how other characters react to him, and his actions would gradually reveal more about his motives. He's not a character like Goku or even Vegeta where he lays everything out on the table, at least not early on.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:29 pm

I agree about the Piccolo series, and how it would focus more on the people that interact with him. Kind of like the post-Daimao filler episodes. It could take some cues from the "In the Name of Piccolo Daimao" manga side-story.

I'd also like to see a Child of Katattsu series based on Piccolo/God after they first arrived on Earth. It would be interesting to see how he became a martial artist and then eventually traveled to God's temple.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Ehhh... I like a good prequel story, but I'm not so keen on ones focusing on past versions of heavily developed characters. It's like Solo (which I still haven't seen), the premise of following Han Solo pre-character development rubbed me the wrong way from day one. I knew they'd either rethread much of the same ground to give him a token arc, or he'd just be a static, less likeable version of the character I love. It's a bit of a lose-lose. I'd feel much the same way about a prequel following Piccolo or Vegeta, to be honest, though a short manga about little hatchling Piccolo wandering through the woods would be more acceptable I guess.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:40 pm Ehhh... I like a good prequel story, but I'm not so keen on ones focusing on past versions of heavily developed characters. It's like Solo (which I still haven't seen), the premise of following Han Solo pre-character development rubbed me the wrong way from day one. I knew they'd either rethread much of the same ground to give him a token arc, or he'd just be a static, less likeable version of the character I love. It's a bit of a lose-lose. I'd feel much the same way about a prequel following Piccolo or Vegeta, to be honest, though a short manga about little hatchling Piccolo wandering through the woods would be more acceptable I guess.
I mean, I'd also take a series focused on the current Piccolo....going wherever the writers want to go to enrich his character.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:39 pm

Piccolo gets a job teaching at a college, befriends his students and goes on whacky adventures with them. Indiana Piccones!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:31 pm

Well, Takao Koyama and Minoru Maeda made a side story in 1991 called High Pride! The Saiya Prince Vegeta, which was the ~~first~~ second of three prequel stories in the Dragon Ball universe. This one was, as the name implies, Vegeta's prequel.

Anyways, I don't know how it went down with the public, but it does show that a Dragon Ball prequel can work either in manga or anime form.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:12 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm I was thinking of it as more of a Mandalorian-style thing where his inner thoughts are more mysterious; we see his exploits moreso than hear his thoughts.
His scenes during the Saiyan arc were legit the best scenes. The anime added much to it during the training scenes. His anime feats made him seem all the more mysterious.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:20 am

The great thing about Piccolo as a character is that he can work in an ensemble but can also work separated from the main cast. Something that wouldn't exactly work with Gohan, Goku or Vegeta. They have more dynamic relationships.
Also, since Piccolo doesn't visibly age it could take place just about anywhere in the timeline. You can explore what he did post Trunks arrival, or what he did in the post-Cell timelapse, you can even explore him post--Z. Heck, I'd love to see more of him in Hell where he ended up in GT.

As mentioned before, he could easily fit in a Mandalorian-type story. He has a past that can be further explored but it doesn't bog him down.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:31 pm Well, Takao Koyama and Minoru Maeda made a side story in 1991 called High Pride! The Saiya Prince Vegeta, which was the ~~first~~ second of three prequel stories in the Dragon Ball universe. This one was, as the name implies, Vegeta's prequel.

Anyways, I don't know how it went down with the public, but it does show that a Dragon Ball prequel can work either in manga or anime form.
for sure, and it's very intriguing that there was a piccolo one too, i wonder what kind of details it added to his lore? https://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/spin-offs/ois/piccolo/

maybe a mini series about this would be quite interesting, but anything more than that would be kinda overabundant.
Last edited by Shintoki on Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am

Shintoki wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am for sure, and it's very intriguing that there was a piccolo one too, i wonder what kind of details it added to his lore? https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/In_t ... aima%C5%8D
If only there was a better site out there than Dragonball Wiki
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/spin-offs/ois/piccolo/
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:36 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am
Shintoki wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am for sure, and it's very intriguing that there was a piccolo one too, i wonder what kind of details it added to his lore? https://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/spin-offs/ois/piccolo/
indeed. 8)
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am
Shintoki wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am for sure, and it's very intriguing that there was a piccolo one too, i wonder what kind of details it added to his lore? https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/In_t ... aima%C5%8D
I need to get my hands on this somehow.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:26 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:51 am @Demon Prince

Well yeah that's why I said it only matters depending on what type of story is being told or the premise I should say. The Boondocks wouldnt be what it is if you turn the Freeman family into any other ethnicity but black, critiquing the culture through the eyes of the people of said culture is the whole point.

Then you have Cyborg from DC whos is black, pretty much "just because" which is also great, he doesnt have to be but he is, as with Static, Storm, Spawn, Bishop, Blade and Luke Cage. All interesting characters who just so happen TO BE black, they arent black because the story requires them to throw their fist in air every time they're on screen/panel thank god. T'Challa is different though because, while he's no freedom fighter, the story still requires him to be black seeing as though his story takes place in Africa and it'd be hella jarring to say the least if he were anything other than black.

The tokenizing starts when you do race/gender/sexuality swaps for no real reason other than to try make more bank off people who dont really give a shit anyway, though like I said not all Tokens are created equally. Token Green Lantern John Stewart has his own distinct personality from Hal Jordan, Token Batman Barbra Gordon isn't just Bruce Wayne with a vag, she's her own unique person. Then you have less innovative characters like Miles Morales whos just AfroLatino Peter Parker (two birds with one stone right) or RiRi Williams whos just Black Girl Magic Ironman but with all the personality of a bucket of paint.
Very strongly disagree on both Miles and Riri, I think they both have their own distinct personalities. Miles especially showed that in the animated film and in the video game.

Also I have to disagree with the notion that there's no value in minority characters playing roles that were originally white, while it is always preferable to have original works starring minority characters, having non-white and non-straight male actors playing roles originally played by straight white men/women is a big deal to a lot of other folks out there. Hell Nick Fury was originally a white dude in the comics and few would argue that giving him a race-lift was a vast improvement for his character overall.

I will defend the 2016 Ghostbusters on my friggin deathbed, hell i'll be totally honest and say I actually liked it more then the original film, there I said it, and i'm not the only one that feels that way either. One podcast I regularly listen to has a trans-female as one of the hosts and she openly admitted to liking the reboot more because she found the humor more appealing(as did I), I don't think it was lazy at all and I definitely don't agree with Kunz's assertion that the existence of these gender and race-swapped reboots somehow gives racist alt-right assholes more credence or whatever, because assholes like that are going to complain no matter what. Leslie Jones would've been sent racist death threats on social media even if she hadn't starred in that film, because that's just what these assholes do, the onus should not be on filmmakers, actors, writers, directors etc to coddle these alt-right dipshits. I for one like those types of movies and TV shows(One Life to Live being a prime example of how to do a reboot right, and the producer of the original show was involved with it, so you can't dismiss it as a lazy rehash either).

Certainly wouldn't call it safe or lazy in the least, hell I remember in the mid-2000s when Hollywood assumed that female led action films were done just because a few had bombed(I remember Jinx from "Die Another Day' was planned to get her own spin-off movie, but the failure of films like Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life, Elektra, Aeon Flux, and Charlie's Angels Full Throttle made the studio cancel the spin-off) and so they avoided making female-led action films for a while because of it.
Adamant wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:46 pm White Americans, that is. The rest of the world has always considered it a hilariously idiotic and mockable term that only illustrates how far up their own asses most Americans are.
Well the rest of the world does not know a whole lot about black history, so they are mistaken on that front, that term definitely has it's place and I wouldn't call it idiotic or mockable, just a bit overrused, I generally don't use it myself because it sounds a little too formal to me.