With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main cast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main ca

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:50 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:40 am What's the OP's idea of a "minority"? Who's sensibilities, in our global society, are we asking these Japanese creators to address? Depending on your definitions, these requests may have already been fulfilled.
OP didn't put any thought into this beyond "This is a controversial thread premise :D "
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main ca

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:12 am

Since this thread got me thinking about it; wasn’t it confirmed somewhere Toriyama based Vegeta’s design on a Japanese film actor? I swear I remember hearing that but can’t find anything.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:19 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:50 am
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:40 am What's the OP's idea of a "minority"? Who's sensibilities, in our global society, are we asking these Japanese creators to address? Depending on your definitions, these requests may have already been fulfilled.
OP didn't put any thought into this beyond "This is a controversial thread premise :D "
Same as with the Mr. Popo topic :lolno:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:08 pm I'm legitimately uncomfortable with the term African-American.
Same here, always have been. Primarily because only one of my parents is American in origin so ethnically the term doesn't accurately describe me. Just call me Black.

As for the topic, I've said before that Uub should have been more of a presence in GT given that he's Goku's student so this really should have already happened. Uub had little personality simply because he was introduced at the literal end of Z. The only reason a continuation couldn't flesh out his character is because the people in charge simply don't care to.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 pm Primarily because only one of my parents is American in origin so ethnically the term doesn't accurately describe me.
Are you an American? Because if so, then I don't see the inaccuracy. Black Americans are comprised of all different types of peoples, including immigrants and their children.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:38 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 pm Primarily because only one of my parents is American in origin so ethnically the term doesn't accurately describe me.
Are you an American? Because if so, then I don't see the inaccuracy. Black Americans are comprised of all different types of peoples, including immigrants and their children.

He literally just said he’s rather be called black

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:54 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm
That doesn't make the term any less...weird. If you want to call me American...that's fine I suppose, mainly within the context that I've lived in America my entire life. Otherwise, just black will do. But African-American? That's a no from me, dawg. :thumbdown:
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:05 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm Are you an American? Because if so, then I don't see the inaccuracy. Black Americans are comprised of all different types of peoples, including immigrants and their children.
I was born in America and my mother is a Black American, but I'm also part Nigerian as my father is from Nigeria. "African-American" might fit for a Black American whose immediate and extended family all hail from America, but I view that term as excluding the half of my direct heritage that isn't American in origin so I don't use it. Again, just call me Black.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:54 pm

It's cool if people don't like "African American" or don't personally identify themselves with it, but outside of an individual basis, it's still a valid and important term that is significant throughout society.

"Just Black" might cut it on an interpersonal level, but beyond that, let's not do a disservice to humanity by constraining our vocabulary and thinking.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:54 pm It's cool if people don't like "African American" or don't personally identify themselves with it, but outside of an individual basis, it's still a valid and important term that is significant throughout society.

"Just Black" might cut it on an interpersonal level, but beyond that, let's not do a disservice to humanity by constraining our vocabulary and thinking.
How is anyone doing a disservice to humanity by saying they don't like the term African-American (or any hybrid-American term), my guy? :eh:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Defer to our black users on the subject, holy shit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:44 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:08 pm I'm legitimately uncomfortable with the term African-American.
I never really gave a shit about it TBH. I was fine with being called Black or Caribbean or American
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 pm How is anyone doing a disservice to humanity by saying they don't like the term African-American (or any hybrid-American term), my guy? :eh:
They're not. :)

I'm talking about on a broader level, beyond individuals personally not liking it. It still has meaning outside of that.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:59 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:45 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 pm How is anyone doing a disservice to humanity by saying they don't like the term African-American (or any hybrid-American term), my guy? :eh:

I'm talking about on a broader level, beyond individuals personally not liking it. It still has meaning outside of that.
So can we get back on topic, please?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Ah, I gotcha. Sure, I guess I'll give you that. :thumbup: Anyway I don't take a direct offense to the term, it's just that if someone verbally referred to me as such, I wouldn't know how to respond. It would just feel awkward.

Anyway. Minorities. Dragon Ball. Assuming the OP is talking within the context of Dragon Ball, I'm going to add like some others have said that Uub is the most natural choice to headline the franchise if they want to take it there. Just write some more actual character into him.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 pm

I am thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to starting a "Shit MyVisionity Says" thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 pm I am thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to starting a "Shit MyVisionity Says" thread.
lmao. i'm dead :lol:
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:50 am
/thread? :think:
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Ah, I gotcha. Sure, I guess I'll give you that. :thumbup: Anyway I don't take a direct offense to the term, it's just that if someone verbally referred to me as such, I wouldn't know how to respond. It would just feel awkward.

Anyway. Minorities. Dragon Ball. Assuming the OP is talking within the context of Dragon Ball, I'm going to add like some others have said that Uub is the most natural choice to headline the franchise if they want to take it there. Just write some more actual character into him.
To me it's not even a pure race of minority thing. I get that the characters have mostly the same designer but from an aesthetic perspective it gets boring how every main character has the same skin and hair color. Uub is a great choice to freshen this up and make the cast look less samey. That's why I like the Namek arc so much from a visual standpoint. You got characters in all shapes and colors, which made them more distinctive. Just imagine if the Ginyu force all had the same skin color and hair color. Their design would be way less interesting.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:31 pm I am thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to starting a "Shit MyVisionity Says" thread.
lmfao do ittttttt

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am To me it's not even a pure race of minority thing. I get that the characters have mostly the same designer but from an aesthetic perspective it gets boring how every main character has the same skin and hair color. Uub is a great choice to freshen this up and make the cast look less samey. That's why I like the Namek arc so much from a visual standpoint. You got characters in all shapes and colors, which made them more distinctive. Just imagine if the Ginyu force all had the same skin color and hair color. Their design would be way less interesting.
So...by this definition, Piccolo constitutes as a minority right? Because I'd take a Piccolo-led spin-off series lol.