With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main cast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main ca

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:50 am

Jord wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:10 am [

I like Uub but a problem in Z was that ratings started to dip whenever episodes weren't focused on Goku,
This is just straight up not true. The Garlic Jr arc really didn’t do any worse than the Freeza arc and the Great Saiyaman arc had some of the better ratings in Z.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/dbz/

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: With DB targeting a more international audience nowadays, do you see a minority someday becoming part of the main ca

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am

Jord wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:10 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:38 pm Yeah, it looks like they're slowly setting up Uub to take on the mantle of the main character. They can't get rid of Goku completely though, so my theory is he will eventually develop full angel powers and become immortal, but he'll be forbidden from interfering in mortal affairs just like the other angels, and he'll then act as a mentor type character.
I like Uub but a problem in Z was that ratings started to dip whenever episodes weren't focused on Goku, hence why they made Goku the main character in GT. I don't know if this is still in the case but if it is I don't see Goku taking over.
Uub was a child and had enough energy to transform Goku back into MUI and defeat Moro, I think he's the next main for sure. It will be a challenge to get the audience to accept him, so they'll have to do it gradually, but I think it will definitely happen. I'm sure we'll still see a lot of Goku though, fans won't accept it if they get rid of him completely, and having him develop full angel powers, which is basically what he's been trying to do, would be a perfect way to side line him.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:44 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:50 am
Jord wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:10 am [

I like Uub but a problem in Z was that ratings started to dip whenever episodes weren't focused on Goku,
This is just straight up not true. The Garlic Jr arc really didn’t do any worse than the Freeza arc and the Great Saiyaman arc had some of the better ratings in Z.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/dbz/
Guess I mixed up ratings with interest
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... interview/
For instance, back with Dragon Ball Z when there were episodes with characters other than Goku fighting, even if the ratings didn’t suffer, younger viewers lost interest. Adults watch for the story, so they can still enjoy watching how things play out even if Goku doesn’t appear, but children watch for the characters. So you have to have Goku appear. That’s why with Dragon Ball Z, when Goku didn’t appear for a while in the original manga, we thought long and hard about how to have him show up in the anime (laughs).[/quote[

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:36 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 amUub was a child and had enough energy to transform Goku back into MUI and defeat Moro, I think he's the next main for sure. It will be a challenge to get the audience to accept him, so they'll have to do it gradually, but I think it will definitely happen. I'm sure we'll still see a lot of Goku though, fans won't accept it if they get rid of him completely, and having him develop full angel powers, which is basically what he's been trying to do, would be a perfect way to side line him.
You think that might happen? I'd love to see more of Uub but I have a feeling having him inherit Grand Kaioshin's God ki was just to give more potential than originally thought. I have to wait and see what happens after the next movie before I can believe we're going past EoZ or changing protagonists.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:56 am

Skar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:36 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 amUub was a child and had enough energy to transform Goku back into MUI and defeat Moro, I think he's the next main for sure. It will be a challenge to get the audience to accept him, so they'll have to do it gradually, but I think it will definitely happen. I'm sure we'll still see a lot of Goku though, fans won't accept it if they get rid of him completely, and having him develop full angel powers, which is basically what he's been trying to do, would be a perfect way to side line him.
You think that might happen? I'd love to see more of Uub but I have a feeling having him inherit Grand Kaioshin's God ki was just to give more potential than originally thought. I have to wait and see what happens after the next movie before I can believe we're going past EoZ or changing protagonists.
Yes, I really believe that's where the story is headed. I could be wrong, maybe they'll change something, but that's how it looks to me.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:36 pm

Do asians in asian consider themselves "minorities"? That seems like such an american way of looking at things.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:27 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:36 pm Do asians in asian consider themselves "minorities"? That seems like such an american way of looking at things.
I think we all have to assume Jord just meant people with darker skin complexions.

Either that or he had his mind blown that most/all the main cast is supposed to be Asian. (Or in the case of Goku and Vegeta resemble Asian men)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm

Bulma is probably meant to resemble the Japanese idea of a Westerner, so it would make sense to consider her white, but aside from that, most of the characters are clearly meant to belong to an East Asian setting.

As for characters with darker complexions, Oob would fit that bill, since he’s probably meant to be the Dragon Ball equivalent of a South Asian person. I suppose that assuming Dragon Ball finally moves past midquel territory after the upcoming movie, then maybe Oob could get integrated into the main cast. I think I’d prefer for the upcoming movie to be the end of the DBS era, though.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:11 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:56 pm
Grimlock wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:33 pm
Jord wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:05 pmExcuse me, I never saw them as Asian due to the way in which they were drawn.
And you are absolutely correct in not fantasizing about fictional characters as belonging/coming from a real world geographical point. Unless we have Akira Toriyama stating he based all of his characters on real world people that I'm not aware of.

That said, my (probably only, maybe...) input here is what I said in another thread:
Grimlock wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pm Because there's no "South Asian" characters, it's a fictional world with its own geographical map not based on the real world. They have a darker skin and some cultures would call that "black" or "brown".
Should we refer to the DB characters based on Asian people as "yellow", then?
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Saiyans' skin color was meant to be yellow, as in "Japanese skin color yellow".
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm Bulma is probably meant to resemble the Japanese idea of a Westerner, so it would make sense to consider her white, but aside from that, most of the characters are clearly meant to belong to an East Asian setting.
That plus early designs for Bulma (back when Goku looked exactly like his literary namesake) had her as a blonde cowgirl. She’s definitely meant to be the “All American girl” and thus caucasian. Maybe Lunch as well since we were introduced to her in an Old West setting.
I think I’d prefer for the upcoming movie to be the end of the DBS era, though.
I’d be fine with this movie being it for Dragon Ball. But alas probably not.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 pm Bulma is probably meant to resemble the Japanese idea of a Westerner, so it would make sense to consider her white, but aside from that, most of the characters are clearly meant to belong to an East Asian setting.
That plus early designs for Bulma (back when Goku looked exactly like his literary namesake) had her as a blonde cowgirl. She’s definitely meant to be the “All American girl” and thus caucasian. Maybe Lunch as well since we were introduced to her in an Old West setting.
I think I’d prefer for the upcoming movie to be the end of the DBS era, though.
I’d be fine with this movie being it for Dragon Ball. But alas probably not.
Considering all the stuff going on with Dragon Ball right now, I believe it's safe to say that this hype train won't be reaching its final destination anytime soon.

And if it does, then I swear to Almighty God that Goku will be reduced to him only knowing how to say "Ossu! Ora Gokū!", "Kamehameha!" and "Ora ni genki wakurete kure!!!!" , and having about as much personality as a brick.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Why do I have to kill every thread I touch?????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Unless by minority you mean African American or Hispanic/native American and are explicitly excluding East Asians(which btw is racist af) its had that since day 1.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:01 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:27 pm Unless by minority you mean African American or Hispanic/native American and are explicitly excluding East Asians(which btw is racist af) its had that since day 1.
I can't even tell if you're just pretending to look like a parody-tier ignorant American here.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:11 pm

I know we’re getting off topic, kinda, but is the term African American even still in use? It seemed like just saying black is used more since it’s less “U.S is the only country of the world” and doesn’t lead to referring to black people who live outside the US as “African Americans”

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:11 pm I know we’re getting off topic, kinda, but is the term African American even still in use? It seemed like just saying black is used more since it’s less “U.S is the only country of the world” and doesn’t lead to referring to black people who live outside the US as “African Americans”
It's definitely very much still in use. It's relevant in a variety of different contexts despite not appearing in casual conversation. However it is certainly misused and misunderstood by many.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 pm

White people still say African American a lot because they somehow think it's still 1960 and black people are offended by "black."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:46 pm

White Americans, that is. The rest of the world has always considered it a hilariously idiotic and mockable term that only illustrates how far up their own asses most Americans are.
Last edited by Adamant on Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:08 pm

I'm legitimately uncomfortable with the term African-American.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:40 am

What's the OP's idea of a "minority"? Who's sensibilities, in our global society, are we asking these Japanese creators to address? Depending on your definitions, these requests may have already been fulfilled.