FUNimation and subtitle VHS'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

FUNimation and subtitle VHS'

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 am

I was thinking about when FUNimation was going around and shutting down Fansubbers/tradeing sites and was wondering, if they had provided subtitled VHS', would it have helped stopped people from getting subbed VHS?

My reasoning being that the quality would have been better and not everyone at the time had VCR's (with the DVD's main draw being bi-lingual)

Speaking of, they didnt even offer subbed movies like Pioneer, did they?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation and subtitle VHS'

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 am I was thinking about when FUNimation was going around and shutting down Fansubbers/tradeing sites and was wondering, if they had provided subtitled VHS', would it have helped stopped people from getting subbed VHS?
Probably? I think it would depend on the retail price of Funimation’s hypothetical subtitle vhs release and the price of fansub tapes. Funimation didn’t have to care because, unfortunately, they had a legal ground to stand on.
My reasoning being that the quality would have been better and not everyone at the time had VCR's (with the DVD's main draw being bi-lingual)
In the late 90s? I would bet most people had VCRs. DVD playeds were still fairly new and expensive.

DVD sales didn’t top VHS sales until 2002

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/sto ... ily34.html
VHS subbed? No, I think they only ever released the sub on DVD. I don’t think they had enough faith that the Japanese version could sell itself. Outside of the Dragon Boxes Funimation has always treated the Japanese version as an afterthought. Complete opposite of Pioneer who prioritized the Japanese version first and the dub was secondary.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:09 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 am I was thinking about when FUNimation was going around and shutting down Fansubbers/tradeing sites and was wondering, if they had provided subtitled VHS', would it have helped stopped people from getting subbed VHS?
Probably? I think it would depend on the retail price of Funimation’s hypothetical subtitle vhs release and the price of fansub tapes. Funimation didn’t have to care because, unfortunately, they had a legal ground to stand on.
In the late 90s? I would bet most people had VCRs. DVD playeds were still fairly new and expensive.

DVD sales didn’t top VHS sales until 2002

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/sto ... ily34.html
VHS subbed? No, I think they only ever released the sub on DVD. I don’t think they had enough faith that the Japanese version could sell itself. Outside of the Dragon Boxes Funimation has always treated the Japanese version as an afterthought. Complete opposite of Pioneer who prioritized the Japanese version first and the dub was secondary.
I wonder what the sales were like on Pioneers subbed VHS'?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:34 am

The only subbed VHS were for the three movies that Pioneer released.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf