Dragon Ball anime if it was done today as a seasonal anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rubenypichin

Dragon Ball anime if it was done today as a seasonal anime

Post by rubenypichin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:48 pm

I wanted to try and do a scheme of how the original DB manga could be done as a modern and seasonal anime, indicanting which chapters could cover each episode. I like a pacing of 3 chapters per episode but sometimes it's necessary to do 2 or 4 chapters per episode to fit well some arcs in a season.

We have Dragon Ball Kai for a good pacing and no filler, so doing this wouldn't be necessary, though a remake could be cool.

OPTION A: ONLY ORIGINAL DRAGON BALL (NOT Z):
OPTION B: ALL DRAGON BALL (INCLUDED Z):
Last edited by rubenypichin on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cactus

Re: Dragon Ball anime if it was done today as a seasonal anime

Post by cactus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 pm

on the topic of a remake it would be really nice to get a "Kai" version of DB. A lot of people that I know who watch the OG DB sometimes get turned off from the slow and dragged pacing and move on to the Manga instead.

A seasonal anime would be a great idea too especially for the future of DB.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:27 pm

IamMilkman's DB Recut coincidentally was 82 episodes and not too far from your list. Although I didn't mind most of the filler in DB compared to DBZ, this is a great option if someone's interested in a Kai version.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:37 pm

Interesting set up. Perhaps you can do your own Dragon Ball cut?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:06 pm

cactus wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 pm on the topic of a remake it would be really nice to get a "Kai" version of DB. A lot of people that I know who watch the OG DB sometimes get turned off from the slow and dragged pacing and move on to the Manga instead.

Kudos to them. Most just drop everything completely.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:22 pm

cactus wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 pm on the topic of a remake it would be really nice to get a "Kai" version of DB. A lot of people that I know who watch the OG DB sometimes get turned off from the slow and dragged pacing and move on to the Manga instead.

I agree with that. It seems that politically correctness wants to bury original dragon ball because Roshi scenes and some other "difficult" jokes for today's society.

Dragon ball anime came out in 1986 and it was made for japnese audiences. Since dragon ball Z helped the franchise to achieve worldwide success a reboot as a cleaner newer version of DB would be the correct answer rather than what they seem to be currently doing, as it somehow seems as if toei animation would be hiding the existence of dragon ball altogether.

Also what you mention about slow pace is true. Let's not forget that dragon ball was heavily inspired by the westerns and old Kung fu movies which are also slow paced. To create suspense. But I agree newer generations need... speed...

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:27 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:27 pm IamMilkman's DB Recut coincidentally was 82 episodes and not too far from your list. Although I didn't mind most of the filler in DB compared to DBZ, this is a great option if someone's interested in a Kai version.
Excuse me but I both searched in Google and on YouTube and could not find any "IamMilkman's" dragon ball content. Do you have the link amigo?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:27 pmExcuse me but I both searched in Google and on YouTube and could not find any "IamMilkman's" dragon ball content. Do you have the link amigo?
Oops his name is "IAmTheMilkman". I'll message you the link.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:13 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:22 pm

I agree with that. It seems that politically correctness wants to bury original dragon ball because Roshi scenes and some other "difficult" jokes for today's society.

Dragon ball anime came out in 1986 and it was made for japnese audiences. Since dragon ball Z helped the franchise to achieve worldwide success a reboot as a cleaner newer version of DB would be the correct answer rather than what they seem to be currently doing, as it somehow seems as if toei animation would be hiding the existence of dragon ball altogether.

Also what you mention about slow pace is true. Let's not forget that dragon ball was heavily inspired by the westerns and old Kung fu movies which are also slow paced. To create suspense. But I agree newer generations need... speed...
Mira los Siete Pecados Capitales y Dragon Ball Super. Todo el acoso sexual que desees. No creo que censuren nada en un remake hipotetico de Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:44 am

Being made in 1986 and for Japanese audiences does not excuse the misogynistic and homophobic attitudes of the original comic and cartoon series. Those things were bad then and always have been.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:47 am

This is not a political thread, dude, don't derail it.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:17 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:47 am

This is not a political thread, dude, don't derail it.
Just pointing out the reasons why a remake of DB that would suit current audiences would be a nice idea. No attempt to be political.

JulieYBM
Being made in 1986 and for Japanese audiences does not excuse the misogynistic and homophobic attitudes of the original comic and cartoon series. Those things were bad then and always have been.

Japan has always been misogynistic, but the world won't allow that no more, that's why the reboot might be needed. I recommend reading this article: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... ake-sexism

Now, to Cure Dragon 255 who said:
Mira los Siete Pecados Capitales y Dragon Ball Super. Todo el acoso sexual que desees. No creo que censuren nada en un remake hipotetico de Dragon Ball.

I read that it is expected from us to speak in english here. The seven deadly sins is rated TV-14 by Netflix. Dragon ball was rated TV-7 same as TMNT and the X-Men cartoon. It is evident society has changed a lot since late 80s and early 90s. I found this interesting discussion about how to rate dragon ball https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-rev ... iews/adult
But perhaps this deserves a whole other thread.

Now, to avoid getting off topic we are talking here about a possible Kai version for DB. Nobody likes the idea of having their favorite show mutilated but same as even the uncut version of Kai has some parts were blood has been removed due to the stricter censorship in Japan, the Kai version of original DB would be modified, and that's fine.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:17 am

I read that it is expected from us to speak in english here. The seven deadly sins is rated TV-14 by Netflix. Dragon ball was rated TV-7 same as TMNT and the X-Men cartoon. It is evident society has changed a lot since late 80s and early 90s. I found this interesting discussion about how to rate dragon ball https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-rev ... iews/adult

Where was it rated TV-7? The Blue Bricks have a tv-14 ratings. In fact the original Dragon Ball is the only Dragon Ball series to be rated higher than TV-PG

As far as Japan is concerned all of Dragon Ball is for kids, but so is 7 Deadly Sins

As far as “political correctness” as evidence by Super sexual harassment is not an issue for Toei. The only thing that would really be edited is the various scenes of Goku nude, any bird flipping, and maybe the gore in the Goku vs Junior fight.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:18 am

dragon Ball anime came out in 1986 and it was made for japnese audiences. Since dragon Ball Z helped the franchise to achieve worldwide success a reboot as a cleaner newer version of DB would be the correct answer rather than what they seem to be currently doing, as it somehow seems as if toei animation would be hiding the existence of dragon Ball altogether.

:eh: Oh boi, i got where you are coming from, but you are going off of it from the wrong angle. it's less about people being more sensitive than back then, and more of how important it is to indicate that certain content in the OG DB is not suitable for its targeted demographic anymore (be it in japan or the west), and how offensive it would be to a blind audience (e.g oolong going after little girls) .

That is why a lot of discussions lately has been over why it may be important for a future DB release to put a disclaimer clarifying that it is a production of its time with offensive content not suitable for kids. (e.g warner bros and looney tunes)

far different from ''this too dark of a humor for me, rrrrrrrrr''!
dragon Ball Z helped the franchise to achieve worldwide success a reboot as a cleaner newer version of DB would be the correct answer rather than what they seem to be currently doing
reboots/new adaptations sanitizing their source material is nothing new, a famous example prior to even DB (70s levle of early!) that comes to mind is the legend himself Hayaoi Miyazaki adapting Lupin the third into an anime film, and pretty much bleaching it from all the edgy/dark stuff in it. Amusingly so, that film influenced its IP more than its source material ever did and stuck around as the default direction for the series ever since.

a recent example that i can think of is the shaman king new anime reboot deblack facing the character Joco to look more like he did in the western release of the manga.

in comparison, Toei didn't change mr popo's look in super.
as it somehow seems as if toei animation would be hiding the existence of dragon Ball altogether.
afaik(and correct me anyone if this is wrong), toei hasn't put out a new DB release since the dragon box nor prevented overseas licensors/distributors from releasing the OG DB (the most recent being selecta), so i'm not sure what u mean by bury?

and it's not just content accessibility, toei seems adamant in recycling OG DB's humor in super as Roshi's antics still linger on within the anime (controversially so, may i add) :crazy:

in topic, do you guys think Z and OG DB should still be separated within this new DB reboot? imo, OG DB should be separated from Z after the daimao piccolo arc and piccolo jr arc should be considered a Z one.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am

Where was it rated TV-7? The Blue Bricks have a tv-14 ratings. In fact the original Dragon Ball is the only Dragon Ball series to be rated higher than TV-PG

As far as Japan is concerned all of Dragon Ball is for kids, but so is 7 Deadly Sins

As far as “political correctness” as evidence by Super sexual harassment is not an issue for Toei. The only thing that would really be edited is the various scenes of Goku nude, any bird flipping, and maybe the gore in the Goku vs Junior fight.
7 Deadly Sins
iirc, japan has this weird system where shows like SDS get aired late at night despite being PG 13 if they contain ''mature content'' in them. so they seem at least self aware about it.
and maybe the gore in the Goku vs Junior fight
Last edited by Shintoki on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

rubenypichin

Post by rubenypichin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:24 am

Updated and reorganized. Did an "original dragon ball" option, that covers only the first part of the manga and has a faster pace. Also covered cell saga in the other option.

I think this could serve as a list of how to read the manga (?). I mean, reading the chapters that cover each of the episodes of the list as if they were an episode. But besides this I can't imagine other use to this lol, I just like to do these things. I'll end it when I have time.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:32 am

rubenypichin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:24 am Updated and reorganized. Did an "original dragon ball" option, that covers only the first part of the manga and has a faster pace. Also covered cell saga in the other option.

I think this could serve as a list of how to read the manga (?). I mean, reading the chapters that cover each of the episodes of the list as if they were an episode. But besides this I can't imagine other use to this lol, I just like to do these things. I'll end it when I have time.
i think some people may use it as a quick notebook if they ever try to recut DB. so that may be helpful from that aspect
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

rubenypichin

Post by rubenypichin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Finished, now all arcs are covered.
Shintoki wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:32 am
rubenypichin wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:24 am Updated and reorganized. Did an "original dragon ball" option, that covers only the first part of the manga and has a faster pace. Also covered cell saga in the other option.

i think some people may use it as a quick notebook if they ever try to recut DB. so that may be helpful from that aspect
I think that cutting it like this would be difficult, as Kai do that and can't keep the pacing as fast as I've put it here. It probably would need to be a new series with a new direction so dialogue and scenes are faster paced. But I would like to see a cut with this scheme.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:42 pm

No? Like...no. Not at all.

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about. DB has always been in the shadow of DBZ, especially in the states. It's hardly about "cancel-culture" and more about more people find the action-oriented nature of DBZ more recognizable than the parody nature of DB.

Times and standards change. Shit is not that hard to understand. Christ.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:37 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am

This article might help you to understand it better, it is called "It's official: Dragon Ball is for 1st grade children, but not for what you think"
https://tierragamer.com/dragon-ball-z-para-ninos/
where it basically it explains that in Mexico the rating is more based on dialogue, rather than on violence/sexy scenes, as long as an elementary school child can understand it, it gets a AA rating. A 7 year old is in 1st grade of elementary school.

Also you can read the following wikipedia information
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clasifica ... si%C3%B3n)

which states in mexico a show not suitable for children must be aired starting 4PM. On this image from a TV Guide from Canal 5 (the channel were dragon ball used to be aired) from 1999 we can clearly see Dragon Ball Z was being aired at 13:00 (1 PM)

https://es-la.facebook.com/photo/?fbid= ... I've-latino

So, yes, in México dragon ball got the AA rating, the same as TMNT and the X-men cartoons, which in USA is TV-7, the Seven deadly sins anime however is rated B or TV-14, not for children.as I previously stated.

But those are the ratings provided to dragon ball in the 90s, currently, almost 20 years later we know dragon ball might not get away with it.

To shintoki
To so i'm not sure what u mean by bury?
I meant to say very few people talk about original dragon ball, I roam several DB channels in Youtube and the community does not actively discuss original dragon ball, also the dragon ball franchise merchandising seems to focus more on DBZ than on DB but if I am wrong show me examples of how the newer products being released for the franchise are from dragon ball and not DBZ, DBsuper of DB heroes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:02 am

#1-7: Hunt for the Dragon Balls
#6-12: Twenty-First Tenka'ichi
#13: recap
#14-25: Red Ribbon Army
#26-31: Twenty-Second Tenka'ichi
#32-39: Piccolo Daimaou
#40: recap
#41-46: Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi
#47-50: Raditz
#51-60: Saiyan training and invasion
#61-77: Namek

This is where it gets tricky because of arcs and bullshit. Boku no Hero Academia doesn't mind ending seasons with the beginning of a story arc, though, so I could see Gokuu's death against Raditz being the Season 2 cliffhanger.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf