The Dragon Ball Series That Never Was...?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Dragon Ball Series That Never Was...?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:22 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 am They would've been too afraid to have Videl be pregnant out of wedlock while also having their cake of alluding to Pan and being a post-Super Saiyan 3 story.
Considering the original plan was for Kuririn and 18 to get married after living together for 3+ years and having a kid together, not to mention Bulma and Vegeta having Trunks from a one night stand…I can’t see that being an issue.

The 18/Kuririn wedding is the only element from the pre-Toriyama treatment that I would have preferred over what we got.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:22 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 am They would've been too afraid to have Videl be pregnant out of wedlock while also having their cake of alluding to Pan and being a post-Super Saiyan 3 story.
Considering the original plan was for Kuririn and 18 to get married after living together for 3+ years and having a kid together, not to mention Bulma and Vegeta having Trunks from a one night stand…I can’t see that being an issue.

The 18/Kuririn wedding is the only element from the pre-Toriyama treatment that I would have preferred over what we got.
Yeah...but that plan was dropped. Clearly someone on the production committee was like "we can't sell that!"
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:07 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am

Yeah...but that plan was dropped. Clearly someone on the production committee was like "we can't sell that!"
Toriyama changed it from their wedding to Bulma’s birthday. And the original writer hypothesize that Toriyama wanted fans to imagine the wedding for themselves. Nothing even suggest it was changed for a morality reason.

I just think Toriyama himself doesn’t care much for depicting weddings. Goku and Chi Chi’s wedding is just a title page with Chi Chi driving them in their wedding outfits. Bulma and Vegeta get married sometime after Cell off-panel. Gohan and Videl get married off-panel.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:12 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:07 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am

Toriyama changed it from their wedding to Bulma’s birthday. And the original writer hypothesize that Toriyama wanted fans to imagine the wedding for themselves. Nothing even suggest it was changed for a morality reason.

I just think Toriyama himself doesn’t care much for depicting weddings. Goku and Chi Chi’s wedding is just a title page with Chi Chi driving them in their wedding outfits. Bulma and Vegeta get married sometime after Cell off-panel. Gohan and Videl get married off-panel.
Huh. I forgot about that interview.

Still wouldn't surprise me if my other theory were true, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:26 pm

Heck, the only time a wedding is depicted at any point at least in part in the anime was the final ep of the Wedding Dress filler arc at the end of the OG DB and even then at the tail end of the episode. That is if you don’t count Krillin’s brief imagine spot with Maron (just before he breaks up with her) in that post Garlic Jr. ep.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:46 pm

The difference is that Marron and Trunks were already born when they were introduced, so it's not something that the audience would be especially conscious of. Videl announcing her pregnancy at the same time as the wedding itself would be harder to ignore.

Aside from that, a Kuririn/18 wedding possibly would have been written to be a delayed ceremony with them already being husband and wife. And maybe Gohan/Videl were considered to be too pure and innocent compared to a couple of assholes like Bulma and Vegeta.