FUNimation and Dragon Boxes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

FUNimation and Dragon Boxes

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 pm

I was looking at the scans of the FUNi's Dragon Box discs and noticed that the copywrite information mentions both Dragon Ball Z and GT as well (but not Dragon Ball for some reason).

This is purly theoretical, but I wonder if they licened both Z and GT Dragon Boxes' (and movies) with a plan on releasing them and then for whatever reason they didnt?

I checked my Orange Brick disc and level sets to see if they covered the same basic info and those were just for Z

Kaboom

Re: FUNimation and Dragon Boxes

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:16 am

As much as I'd love for Funimation to get around to a GT Dragon Box (or any new and better release of GT beyond the green bricks), I doubt they ever had it in the pipeline back then.

This GT acknowledgement on the disc and wherever else may be simply because the final episode, on the final disc, on the final set... contains the original next-episode preview for GT's premiere. So the Z Dragon Boxes as a whole technically contain a little bit of GT footage and the GT logo, and so the copyright gibberish probably had to take them into account.

As far as I can remember, the Dragon Boxes are the only Funimation release to ever contain that NEP, so the extra GT mention wouldn't be necessary on any other Z release.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:34 am

Yeah, I don't think Funimation ever planned on re-releasing GT. It seems they just put out the green bricks so there could be a release on store shelves with their dub and both musical scores and call it a day. Selecta Vision will also probably release a perfectly fine GT Blu-Ray after they're done releasing Z that Funimation won't even consider importing as either Super will be back by the time it's come around or they'll find another excuse to milk Z.

It's worth noting, if you have the space, and can find them for a good deal Funimation's GT singles are the closest we'll ever get to Dragon Boxes for that series. They were made from the same masters and contain the Japanese title cards and NEPs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:01 am

I mean, as mentioned above in regards to GT we did sort of get a Dragon Box with the old single discs/box sets as those are more or less that. Albeit with the footage being sourced from intermediate film to tape transfers before Pony Canyon did the clean up and such later for the Dragon Box a couple years later. In comparing the two it's obviously the same source as they more or less have the same level of detail. Only thing is FUNi's version has some compression/artifacting because their encoding back in 2002/2003 wasn't exactly the best.

But yes, those and the domestic Dragon Box Z as far as the original anime run goes are the only releases to contain the complete package.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:16 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:34 am Yeah, I don't think Funimation ever planned on re-releasing GT. It seems they just put out the green bricks so there could be a release on store shelves with their dub and both musical scores and call it a day. Selecta Vision will also probably release a perfectly fine GT Blu-Ray after they're done releasing Z that Funimation won't even consider importing as either Super will be back by the time it's come around or they'll find another excuse to milk Z.

It's worth noting, if you have the space, and can find them for a good deal Funimation's GT singles are the closest we'll ever get to Dragon Boxes for that series. They were made from the same masters and contain the Japanese title cards and NEPs.
Oh dang, totally forgot the NEP. That actually explains it a lot! lol

I do have the GT singles (which I condensed into six disc cases) and that basically filled my need for the GT Dragon Box :D