"Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!" Chapter #73 referenced "Dragon Ball" Chapter #216!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

"Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!" Chapter #73 referenced "Dragon Ball" Chapter #216!

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Fans of Dragon Ball are more than likely familiar with the infamous panel from Dragon Ball Chapter #216 in which Yamcha, long-time friend of main character Son Gokuu, fell to the gross green gremlin known as a Saibaiman.

Yamcha, friend of Son Gokuu, thought he defeated the Saibaiman. He was wrong.

As the manga and anime industry is wont to do, author Take's Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Chapter #73 referenced the oft-referenced panel in its final page.

Uzaki Hana-chan celebrating finally teasing and seducing her way to getting Sakurai-senpai to ask her to be his girlfriend.

If I might be frank, I'm no fan of the reference. I think it's about as un-funny as the much-beloved Dragon Ball Z Episode #125, which I feel is not sufficiently funny due to Ueda Yoshihiro's directing and the animation as overseen by Animation Supervisor Hisada Kazuya. The Yamcha Death Pose is blasé, relying on framing the character as pathetic and a joke, which I feel is too often overplayed. Using the character as a joke has lost its freshness and leaves me wanting for the days where he could be drawn and depicted with intensity, as he was in the beginning of the battle with the Saibaiman.

That being said, I'm a fan of the use of the Yamcha Death Pose in Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Chapter #73. Uzaki-chan has spent the entire series trying to win over Sakurai-senpai in her own little tiddy-gremlin way and it's so very lovely watching the story unfold as it has. If we're to finally depict Uzaki-chan's victory and Sakurai-senpai's defeat then I feel like this is a much earned reference. I definitely look forward to seeing how the story changes from this point onward!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter