So...Gokuism. Your thoughts on it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Re: So...Gokuism. Your thoughts on it?

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:58 pm

I knew that Dao of DB guy since 2012. He is in the crowd that takes Dragon Ball waaaaay too seriously, and obsessed with overanalysiing the most atypical Dragon Ball Arc being Cell Saga, where everything is dark and cool and Goku is viewed as both this Buddhist/Taoist martial artist AND most Americanized heroic because he was forced to be. I have never seen him talk about more Toriyama themed arcs like Buu Saga or after the revival. It's kinda funny.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am

nhienphan2808 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:58 pm I knew that Dao of DB guy since 2012. He is in the crowd that takes Dragon Ball waaaaay too seriously, and obsessed with overanalysiing the most atypical Dragon Ball Arc being Cell Saga, where everything is dark and cool and Goku is viewed as both this Buddhist/Taoist martial artist AND most Americanized heroic because he was forced to be. I have never seen him talk about more Toriyama themed arcs like Buu Saga or after the revival. It's kinda funny.
For the record Padula is neither the creator of Gokuism, nor a Gokuist himself, he was simply writing a blog about it so fans can be aware it's a thing. It's no different from any of the articles the staff here at Kanzenshuu write, which also includes material they're not affiliated with.

And I don't see analyzing Dragon Ball to the extent many of us do as being an issue at all. There are fans of all forms of entertainment, be it music, movies, sport, architecture that like to discuss what their passion is in great detail. It's a form of escapism, and is healthy in the right doses.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:57 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am
nhienphan2808 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:58 pm I knew that Dao of DB guy since 2012. He is in the crowd that takes Dragon Ball waaaaay too seriously, and obsessed with overanalysiing the most atypical Dragon Ball Arc being Cell Saga, where everything is dark and cool and Goku is viewed as both this Buddhist/Taoist martial artist AND most Americanized heroic because he was forced to be. I have never seen him talk about more Toriyama themed arcs like Buu Saga or after the revival. It's kinda funny.
For the record Padula is neither the creator of Gokuism, nor a Gokuist himself, he was simply writing a blog about it so fans can be aware it's a thing. It's no different from any of the articles the staff here at Kanzenshuu write, which also includes material they're not affiliated with.

And I don't see analyzing Dragon Ball to the extent many of us do as being an issue at all. There are fans of all forms of entertainment, be it music, movies, sport, architecture that like to discuss what their passion is in great detail. It's a form of escapism, and is healthy in the right doses.
I didnt mean any sarcasm or offense to Padula himself. I just think it's kinda funny how the "Real" Goku in Buu Saga and the Super revival is mostly viewed in a negative or misinformed light compared to other Gokus, that he's suddenly not a role model/religious based figure anymore, that they are "disappointed" in Toriyama ruining Goku", just because the Western fans typically liked the darkness and seriousness of the Cell Saga. Is Goku not the figure of Gokusim or this "East meets West" ideal anymore when he "came out" as this simple guy wanting to be stronger and made mistakes, or is he? I'd be the first to say Cell Saga is good and worth overanalysing, it's just it's atypical to who Goku was meant to be - not OOC, just atypical, it was a challenging arc to all the characters - and this change in fan behavior is kinda notable after the Super revival.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Some ​people feels so lonely and lost that they have to resort to similar things.

It's a perfect opportunity to meditate and consider for a moment just how corrupted and blurry current religius organizations are as for the fans of a franchise to believe it is better to believe in their fiction stories than in an actual organization.

Both stories could provide life teachings and could be quite helpful for the individual, the controversy here resides on the fact that the common religions are meant to be based on true events and Starwars and DB are fiction.

There are many Dragon Ball fanatics (myself included). This could be a witty strategy to get tax deduction.

It does not bother me that some people take it as religion because I believe things like gender, age, race or religious believes don't matter, only people's actions and "el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" that means " respect for the rights of others means peace"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 pm

nhienphan2808 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:57 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am

I didnt mean any sarcasm or offense to Padula himself. I just think it's kinda funny how the "Real" Goku in Buu Saga and the Super revival is mostly viewed in a negative or misinformed light compared to other Gokus, that he's suddenly not a role model/religious based figure anymore, that they are "disappointed" in Toriyama ruining Goku", just because the Western fans typically liked the darkness and seriousness of the Cell Saga. Is Goku not the figure of Gokusim or this "East meets West" ideal anymore when he "came out" as this simple guy wanting to be stronger and made mistakes, or is he? I'd be the first to say Cell Saga is good and worth overanalysing, it's just it's atypical to who Goku was meant to be - not OOC, just atypical, it was a challenging arc to all the characters - and this change in fan behavior is kinda notable after the Super revival.
The Boo arc was Goku at his most mature.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:03 am

I think it is a bad idea to treat any anime or anime character like a religion, but that is my opinion.

DB/DBZ/GT Goku = great characters in any sub and dub
DBS Manga Goku = great character
DBS Anime Goku = Ruined in any sub and sub