Is Dragon Ball Z Funimation's Worst English Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Dragon Ball Z Funimation's Worst English Dub?

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:16 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm The only other dub off the top of my head that doesn't at least try to maintain the spirit of the original is probably Shin-Chan, but that at least has the benefit of being a full-on gag dub so it's not really trying to convince you that it's a proper localization of the original show like the DBZ dub was. Plus, even if you don't like the reversioning itself the voice work at least works well for the material and the writing is pretty funny as far as I remember. Can't really say the same for most of the DBZ dub writing and acting.
I remember watching bits and pieces of the Shin Chan dub years ago, but I don't remember anything about it beyond, the voice work was kind of funny. I've never watched this personally, but I know a lot of dub fans have pointed out that they wish Dragon Ball got a complete reworked dub from the ground up like Funimation One Piece got.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:46 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 pm Their YYH dub has been getting a small bit of reevaluation in some places (mainly one or two people saying "It wasn't that great you guys" in passing, but I digress), but even with its script quirks it still has a level of faithfulness that's at least baseline acceptable.
The YYH dub has been overrated since the beginning. Decent acting but miscast actors. Good scripts but frequently unfaithful in terms of story and characterization. It's really only a better written and better acted version of Funi's DBZ in that sense. I think that what people were attracted to was the Yu Yu Hakusho anime itself rather than the English dub specifically.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 am

On the subject of YYH, I do have to agree that the dub there still includes an insane amount of rewrites, almost as many as in the DBZ dub. But I think the reason why people like that dub is the same reason why I enjoy the Cell and Buu dubs more than the Frieza and Android dubs: The changes they make actually fit with the plot. The rewrites they used where the kind that made people go "that's actually kind of clever" rather than "what the hell were they thinking". It's still not very faithful, but it's miles better than Frieza spewing lame puns and Goku being "the hope of the universe".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:08 am

yu yu hakusho dub just has some of the worst comedy possible, literally everyone is a sarcastic tryhard. the casting choices aren't as weird as most of Z's (though poor kurama and the Accent characters), but i don't think it's particularly good and a lot of the acting is just sorta bad.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:32 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:08 am yu yu hakusho dub just has some of the worst comedy possible, literally everyone is a sarcastic tryhard. the casting choices aren't as weird as most of Z's (though poor kurama and the Accent characters), but i don't think it's particularly good and a lot of the acting is just sorta bad.
I still feel like the Yu Yu Hakusho dub is almost night-and-day from the worst of Z. Maybe I'm a bit biased to that dub, but it's far from one of the worst I've heard (definitely agree about the accent characters and the constant sarcastic voices, though).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:43 pm

i don't really think it's that much better but i wouldn't really say i like any post 00 anime dub, so what do i know.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:08 am yu yu hakusho dub just has some of the worst comedy possible, literally everyone is a sarcastic tryhard. the casting choices aren't as weird as most of Z's (though poor kurama and the Accent characters), but i don't think it's particularly good and a lot of the acting is just sorta bad.
Wait, what issue do you have with Kurama's voice? I agree there's a lot of tryhard but so much of that comes down to the script and not the actors. The show is pretty well cast, with the notable exception of Cook.

The dub of DBZ was poorly written and poorly cast.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:43 pm i don't really think it's that much better but i wouldn't really say i like any post 00 anime dub, so what do i know.
To be fair to you, dubs have come a long way since the 00s. Assuming you're talking about dubs from that time period as opposed to current dubs.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Albeit for different reasons, I'd say "Master of Martial Hearts". Not so much of its dub being bad, but being a bad show in general with a dark twist ending that leaves a bad taste in many's mouths. I usually keep everything, including stuff it takes me a while to finish, but that I went and turned in to get a few bucks off "Heaven's Lost Property" (which was a better show).

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:36 pm

ABED wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 pm The show is pretty well cast, with the notable exception of Cook.
Botan, Koenma, Hiei, are all miscast. And Sabat's Kuwabara cannot compete with Chiba's.

Kurama is decently acted from what I remember, but just sounds like a completely different character. Although I'm not sure if any English speaking actor could do any better.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:07 pm

Hmm, interesting. I'll need to get on with watching Yu Yu Hakusho subbed (and reading the manga ofc). Will probably do the latter first.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 pm

MyVisionity wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:36 pm
ABED wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 pm The show is pretty well cast, with the notable exception of Cook.
Botan, Koenma, Hiei, are all miscast. And Sabat's Kuwabara cannot compete with Chiba's.

Kurama is decently acted from what I remember, but just sounds like a completely different character. Although I'm not sure if any English speaking actor could do any better.
Koenma and Hiei were miscast? Botan I like but won't argue that point. I forgot Sabat. Not my favorite either, but the others were well suited

I don't hear a different character out of Kurama. I hear someone with wisdom from age and experience as well as some baggage, but hopeful for getting a second chance at a new life.

And they finally found a role Linda Young was suited for even if the performance is so-so, it's certainly a better fit than Freeza, even if she got a competent script.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:55 pm

Perhaps he would've preferred Kurama had been voiced by a woman, or Spike Spencer. I thought guys were fine, and know I'm not the only one who loved Jin's Irishness. Or the funniest line in the series. But if you watch with your anime senses off, you'll be fine.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Can anyone think of an English speaking actor who voiced a adult male character? I just don't think that works.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 pm

i really don't like burgmeier as either tenshinhan or kurama, and with kurama especially i just adore ogata in the role and she brings so much too him that i don't think burgmeier does at all. it's the same with sasaki and cook, and especially chiba and sabat. those voices aren't especially bad for those characters but the acting is just so poor and weirdly directed that i just straight up don't like it. huber as hiei kind of reminds of his #17 role in where i don't think it really gives off the same energy that hiyama does and i definitely don't think it's as good, but Huber pulls it off really well so it's not really a issue.
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 pm To be fair to you, dubs have come a long way since the 00s. Assuming you're talking about dubs from that time period as opposed to current dubs.
i just don't really like the Anime Dubbing Industry. america and canada has plenty of great voice actors, but i feel like anime it's a lot of the same actors, they normally aren't very well acted and have weird and unnatural direction. i'm not gonna say every modern dub is bad and i'm definitely not gonna say that every 80s and 90s dubs were good because they weren't, but i prefer the direction of those dubs where they just voice acted them like a cartoon made in america. that's basically why i like the ocean cast over the funimation dub cast.

edit : e s p e c i a l l y
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm

ABED wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 pm Koenma and Hiei were miscast? Botan I like but won't argue that point. I forgot Sabat. Not my favorite either, but the others were well suited.

I don't hear a different character out of Kurama. I hear someone with wisdom from age and experience as well as some baggage, but hopeful for getting a second chance at a new life.
Koenma is supposed to sound like a baby. The other guy sounds too mature and too competent. Chuck Huber's Hiei sounds way too snarky and not nearly as cold as he should.

I agree about Kurama, it's just that the sound of the actor's voice is so different from Megumi Ogata's that it's somewhat jarring. But like I said it might be difficult to find an English speaking actor who sounds similar enough, unless they went with a woman.

Agree with Soppa Saia about Ogata's Kurama transcending the role itself.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 pm i really don't like burgmeier as either tenshinhan or kurama, and with kurama especially i just adore ogata in the role and she brings so much too him that i don't think burgmeier does at all. it's the same with sasaki and cook, and especially chiba and sabat. those voices aren't especially bad for those characters but the acting is just so poor and weirdly directed that i just straight up don't like it. huber as hiei kind of reminds of his #17 role in where i don't think it really gives off the same energy that hiyama does and i definitely don't think it's as good, but Huber pulls it off really well so it's not really a issue.
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 pm To be fair to you, dubs have come a long way since the 00s. Assuming you're talking about dubs from that time period as opposed to current dubs.
i just don't really like the Anime Dubbing Industry. america and canada has plenty of great voice actors, but i feel like anime it's a lot of the same actors, they normally aren't very well acted and have weird and unnatural direction. i'm not gonna say every modern dub is bad and i'm definitely not gonna say that every 80s and 90s dubs were good because they weren't, but i prefer the direction of those dubs where they just voice acted them like a cartoon made in america. that's basically why i like the ocean cast over the funimation dub cast.
Ah, fair enough, I feel you there; more than likely, you've watched more than I have, but I definitely get what you mean by unnatural acting. Totally agreed on Ocean dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:20 am

MyVisionity wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm
ABED wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 pm Koenma and Hiei were miscast? Botan I like but won't argue that point. I forgot Sabat. Not my favorite either, but the others were well suited.

Koenma is supposed to sound like a baby. The other guy sounds too mature and too competent. Chuck Huber's Hiei sounds way too snarky and not nearly as cold as he should.

I agree about Kurama, it's just that the sound of the actor's voice is so different from Megumi Ogata's that it's somewhat jarring. But like I said it might be difficult to find an English speaking actor who sounds similar enough, unless they went with a woman.

Agree with Soppa Saia about Ogata's Kurama transcending the role itself.
Tanaka may be high pitched but she doesn't sound like a baby either. That doesn't make her miscast, same goes for Teague.

Ogata's great, but transcendent? Jesus christ, no.

The job of a dub isn't to sound like the original.

The so much of the way people are judging the dub actors is by how closely they resemble the OG actors and that';s not fair. That's not their job. Their job is to play the character because that's what acting is. Mimicry is hollow. Ayres isn't great as Freeza because his performance sounds somewhat like Nakao. It's great because it fits the character.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:31 am

i mean he literally didn't say transcendent lol.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:52 am

I understand about mimicry, which is why I can overlook Burgmeier's Kurama even though I don't like it. I still think that Teague sounds too mature for Koenma.

I was agreeing with Soppa that Ogata's performance transcends the role in the sense that it's difficult to imagine someone else as Kurama, because of how talented she is and how much that comes across in the work. Not only the performance, but having read about some of her personal life experiences, and then hearing her singing image songs for Kurama, etc. It's hard to separate the two. Kind of like Kotono Mitsuishi and Tsukino Usagi maybe.

Not "transcendent".