Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Post by KingVegetto » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:25 pm

I'd avoid showing any of the stuff with Roshi being creepy to women, so that's one case where the edited Ocean dub actually has the advantage.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am

Roshi is too much of a perv to show to younger kids imo, and there are way too many scenes in the original dragonball where Roshi does his thing.

Z also has violent parts that go beyond just fighting. I remember as a kid seeing second form Freeza impale Krillin, that was brutal and a childhood memory. So no, at least be 17 plus to watch Z imo.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am
Z also has violent parts that go beyond just fighting. I remember as a kid seeing second form Freeza impale Krillin, that was brutal and a childhood memory. So no, at least be 17 plus to watch Z imo.
I think kids younger than 17 have seen and can deal with worse than Freeza impaling Kuririn.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am
I think kids younger than 17 have seen and can deal with worse than Freeza impaling Kuririn.
It depends. I certainly didn't like that scene as a kid, so maybe I'm just talking from experience.

Social media did make kids desensitized to violence though. Kids today have a lot more access to fucked up shit like the deep dark web than we did pre internet. So in that regard I do agree.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:54 am

RELIVE CHILDHOOD TRAUMA NAO!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZBi_dddohg
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:59 am

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:49 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am
It depends. I certainly didn't like that scene as a kid, so maybe I'm just talking from experience.

Social media did make kids desensitized to violence though. Kids today have a lot more access to fucked up shit like the deep dark web than we did pre internet. So in that regard I do agree.
No, I mean even back then they can deal with it. It’s not a “kids today are desensitized” thing

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 pm

I remember watching those uncut Freeza tapes when I was nine. Just about shat my pants, holy shit.

Honestly, it's not the violence itself I'm afraid of showing kids, it's the message of the acts. This is why I don't like the Roushi bullshit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 pm I remember watching those uncut Freeza tapes when I was nine. Just about shat my pants, holy shit.
To each their own. Seeing Chucky and Freddy movies when I was 7 cartoon violence did nothing for me
Honestly, it's not the violence itself I'm afraid of showing kids, it's the message of the acts. This is why I don't like the Roushi bullshit.
And that’s fair. I think as long as kids know Roshi’s behavior is wrong and they shouldn’t emulate it (or accept it if they’re on the receiving end) it should be fine. Like I said before it didn’t make the depiction of sexual harassment any less irresponsible but I don’t know if it will corrupt kids on its own. Symptom of an issue not the cause of the issue.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 pm I remember watching those uncut Freeza tapes when I was nine. Just about shat my pants, holy shit.

You would think they would have learned their lesson to tone down the Roshi BS when they revived the franchise with Super decades later. But no, episode 89 of Super is probably as worse as it gets, and by far my least favourite episode.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am Z also has violent parts that go beyond just fighting. I remember as a kid seeing second form Freeza impale Krillin, that was brutal and a childhood memory. So no, at least be 17 plus to watch Z imo.
Bruh, what? Even the average Looney Tunes cartoon is fairly violent. Most kids my age in my era gravitated towards violent, bloody stuff. We were ten years old cutting people with chainsaws in Grand Theft Auto and shit. Watching Attitude era WWF. Sneaking to watch South Park. Kids can not only handle violence, they enjoy it.

Man, some of y'all were sheltered.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:30 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm
omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am Z also has violent parts that go beyond just fighting. I remember as a kid seeing second form Freeza impale Krillin, that was brutal and a childhood memory. So no, at least be 17 plus to watch Z imo.
Bruh, what? Even the average Looney Tunes cartoon is fairly violent. Most kids my age in my era gravitated towards violent, bloody stuff. We were ten years old cutting people with chainsaws in Grand Theft Auto and shit. Watching Attitude era WWF. Sneaking to watch South Park. Kids can not only handle violence, they enjoy it.

Indeed, i mean take classic stuff like the old Hanna-Barbera era of Tom & Jerry shorts which is loaded with (slapstick-y thought is) violence to the max. I watched that as a little kid on Cartoon Network all the time among the other tons of old old school stuff they showed back in the day and never was disgusted by it. Watched DB/DBZ on Toonami and stuff like the above mentioned didn't traumatize or affect me to any great degree.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Far from sheltered, my perception just changes as I got older. I watched and played all of those things you mentioned and more. The younger me would have agreed with everything you just said. Societal perceptions on what's acceptable for kids change. The internet aside, that's why things on TV are more censored now than before.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:56 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Far from sheltered, my perception just changes as I got older. I watched and played all of those things you mentioned and more. The younger me would have agreed with everything you just said. Societal perceptions on what's acceptable for kids change. The internet aside, that's why things on TV are more censored now than before.
Your whole logic has really been inconsistent and not tracking

- Dragon Ball’s violence is inappropriate for anyone under 17!

- Kids today are desensitized because of the internet!

- I watched much worse stuff than Dragon Ball when I was a kid but kids today couldn’t handle it because society said so

Pick a lane

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:56 pm
omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Your whole logic has really been inconsistent and not tracking

- Dragon Ball’s violence is inappropriate for anyone under 17!

- Kids today are desensitized because of the internet!

- I watched much worse stuff than Dragon Ball when I was a kid but kids today couldn’t handle it because society said so

Pick a lane
Why are you coming at me? I picked a consistent lane.

Kids today are desensitized yes, and I was talking strictly the internet there, which is 100% true because of the access they have.

My point to the other fellow was that TV is way more censored now, which is aligned with what society deems acceptable to kids. Being desensitized and what TV censors are two different things. And you're wrong, the arbitrary age 17 that I mentioned for Dragonball is way more than just violence, it's the perverted shit that occurs on numerous occasions. Especially with the filler of Z, I wouldn't want kids watching Roshi throw himself onto Marron in the Garlic Jr saga.
Last edited by omaro34 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 pm

The uncut violence that you see in DBZ is not much different from what you find in most PG-13 movies or older PG rated films. The franchise is hardly R rated when it comes to blood, violence and sexual humor. Austin Powers is PG-13 and the humor is those movies are not much better than you would find in early DB.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:32 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:30 pm

Indeed, i mean take classic stuff like the old Hanna-Barbera era of Tom & Jerry shorts which is loaded with (slapstick-y thought is) violence to the max. I watched that as a little kid on Cartoon Network all the time among the other tons of old old school stuff they showed back in the day and never was disgusted by it. Watched DB/DBZ on Toonami and stuff like the above mentioned didn't traumatize or affect me to any great degree.
Um... I agree with you but Toonami did chop the fuck out of that scene.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:07 pm
To each their own. Seeing Chucky and Freddy movies when I was 7 cartoon violence did nothing for me
And that’s fair. I think as long as kids know Roshi’s behavior is wrong and they shouldn’t emulate it (or accept it if they’re on the receiving end) it should be fine. Like I said before it didn’t make the depiction of sexual harassment any less irresponsible but I don’t know if it will corrupt kids on its own. Symptom of an issue not the cause of the issue.
Well, yeah. I was 'sheltered'. Ultra-conservative and religious parents and all that. I don't think I watched a horror movie or R-rated movie until I was in my later teens. Even then I can't really sit through them due to trauma, PTSD and shit.

First scary/violent movie I saw was Cloverfield in theaters, I think? Nobody bother replying saying that that doesn't count, please.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:39 pm

If I had children I would avoid showing them anything Dragon Ball related. If they want to watch it in their spare time that is on them, but I'm not going to go out of my way to make them watch 500 episodes of a TV Show. Would rather have them do something that would benefit them like learning how to swim or ride a bike.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:49 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm Especially with the filler of Z, I wouldn't want kids watching Roshi throw himself onto Marron...
Wait, but that would make Roshi a pedophile!
...in the Garlic Jr saga.
Oh phew
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:32 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:30 pm

Um... I agree with you but Toonami did chop the fuck out of that scene.
I don't think they did that to all scenes where there was blood involved to that extent, then again it's been so long that i can't personally recall what specifically violence wise was censored or not. Freeza impaling Krillin just happened to be such a drawn out scene that it obviously wasn't going to remain intact.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)