Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Post by KingVegetto » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm
omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am Z also has violent parts that go beyond just fighting. I remember as a kid seeing second form Freeza impale Krillin, that was brutal and a childhood memory. So no, at least be 17 plus to watch Z imo.
Bruh, what? Even the average Looney Tunes cartoon is fairly violent. Most kids my age in my era gravitated towards violent, bloody stuff. We were ten years old cutting people with chainsaws in Grand Theft Auto and shit. Watching Attitude era WWF. Sneaking to watch South Park. Kids can not only handle violence, they enjoy it.

Man, some of y'all were sheltered.
I kinda was i'll admit, my parents never would've let me play games like that as a kid, I asked for GTA when I was like 13 and my mom practically threw a fit so I had to wait until I was a teenager to finally play M-rated games, though I did watch R-rated movies at 12, but I was shocked by how many stories i've heard of kids even younger then that seeing them.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Post by Jord » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:38 am

Art should be left untouched. I wouldn't want to censor it.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:17 pm

If I have kids, I'll avoid showing them Dragon Ball till they're at least 8. That's when most are able to differentiate fantasy from reality.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:49 pm
omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm Especially with the filler of Z, I wouldn't want kids watching Roshi throw himself onto Marron...
Wait, but that would make Roshi a pedophile!
...in the Garlic Jr saga.
Oh phew
18 would have your neck for a mistake like that.

The only thing holding me back from showing my kids Dragonball would actually be their understanding of fiction and the concepts of death. The violence in Dragonabll isn't that much more than what was dipicted in the DCAU twenty years ago. The worst offenders would be any impalements, dismemberments, or decapitations.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:14 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm Especially with the filler of Z, I wouldn't want kids watching Roshi throw himself onto Marron...
Oh phew
Kuririn's daughter is named Maron, not Marron. Toriyama rarely just used words as is for names, he usually altered them somewhat.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:14 pm
Oh phew
Kuririn's daughter is named Maron, not Marron. Toriyama rarely just used words as is for names, he usually altered them somewhat.
You’ve mixed up the spellings. In English translations (at least for the anime), Krillin’s daughter is Marron, spelled with two “R”s. Maron with one “R” is his ex-girlfriend.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:14 pm
Oh phew

No Kuririn’s daughter is Marron. His ex is Maron. Easy to remember because Maron is closer to moron.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 pm
No Kuririn’s daughter is Marron. His ex is Maron. Easy to remember because Maron is closer to moron.
No.

マロン = "marron", the French word for chestnut
マロン = the name of Kuririn's Toei-invented girlfriend. Spelled the exact same way as the source word
マーロン = the name of Kuririn's Toriyama-invented daughter. Taken from the source word, but with an elongated first syllable.

Easy to remember because Toriyama almost never uses words as they are.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 pm

They're referring to the name used by Simmons in the subtitles as well as the official dub name (I believe), "Marron".

The extra R is there to represent the elongated ma. It's not about the French word.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 pm The extra R is there to represent the elongated ma. It's not about the French word.
...but there's no "extra r" there, the source word is spelled marron. There's two rs there to begin with.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 pm The extra R is there to represent the elongated ma. It's not about the French word.
...but there's no "extra r" there, the source word is spelled marron. There's two rs there to begin with.
Yes, but the reason that Funi/Simmons call Maaron "Marron" is not because of the original French spelling. It's to represent the elongated vowel. They had already used "Maron" for Garlic Jr.'s Maron instead of using the French spelling. So they went with "Marron" for Kuririn's daughter to differentiate between the two.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:46 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:22 pm
Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 pm
Yes, but the reason that Funi/Simmons call Maaron "Marron" is not because of the original French spelling. It's to represent the elongated vowel. They had already used "Maron" for Garlic Jr.'s Maron instead of using the French spelling. So they went with "Marron" for Kuririn's daughter to differentiate between the two.
Ok, but neither of us are Funi or Simmons, so there's no particular need to slavishly adhere to their fuckups...?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 am

I've thought on this a little more. I don't have kids, but the violence is the part I'm least concerned about if my (future) kids ever want to watch Dragon Ball. Granted, they wouldn't be watching it at like 4; they need to be at least 8 like I was, but preferably 10. It's mainly the Roshi stuff from early Dragon Ball that I wouldn't want them seeing or asking me questions about at extremely young ages. Maybe it's because I was seeing the censored versions, but despite all the fighting, I never associated Dragon Ball with extreme violence as a kid, just yelling and energy blasts. Even having seen it uncensored, I feel like the tone of it is detached enough from reality to where it wouldn't get muddled. Ofc parents should know their kids and what they can/can't handle, etc.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:18 am

Honestly, there is just so much else out there that is better I don't really see a need to show my kids Dragon Ball. I'd be more interested in seeing what they and their friends want to follow instead so that they don't feel like I'm pressuring them into watching what I like.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:32 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:18 am Honestly, there is just so much else out there that is better I don't really see a need to show my kids Dragon Ball. I'd be more interested in seeing what they and their friends want to follow instead so that they don't feel like I'm pressuring them into watching what I like.
If my kid took an interest in Dragon Ball the way I did, I'd show it to them, all things considered. It's a bit doubtful though, unless ny kid gravitates toward older material. But I wouldn't plan to get them into it the way parents plan to show their kids the Star Wars movies to turn them into superfans. With all of the above, I'd also want my kid forming their own interests that are distinct from my own. If they naturally like some of the same things as me, it would take some getting used to, but I'd welcome that more than me forcing it on them.

What's going to be really funny if my kid doesn't care about movies or any TV/anime. For all we know, our kids might not be into any of this type of stuff by the time of their pre-adolescence-onward. :lol:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:34 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:32 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:18 am Honestly, there is just so much else out there that is better I don't really see a need to show my kids Dragon Ball. I'd be more interested in seeing what they and their friends want to follow instead so that they don't feel like I'm pressuring them into watching what I like.
If my kid took an interest in Dragon Ball the way I did, I'd show it to them, all things considered. It's a bit doubtful though, unless ny kid gravitates toward older material. But I wouldn't plan to get them into it the way parents plan to show their kids the Star Wars movies to turn them into superfans. With all of the above, I'd also want my kid forming their own interests that are distinct from my own. If they naturally like some of the same things as me, it would take some getting used to, but I'd welcome that more than me forcing it on them.

What's going to be really funny if my kid doesn't care about movies or any TV/anime. For all we know, our kids might not be into any of this type of stuff by the time of their pre-adolescence-onward. :lol:
Oof, yeah, that might suck. I'd probably like to show them Star Trek, at least. Deep Space Nine is so important as a work of art and progressive television that I think it'd be educational in that respect.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:40 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:34 am Oof, yeah, that might suck. I'd probably like to show them Star Trek, at least. Deep Space Nine is so important as a work of art and progressive television that I think it'd be educational in that respect.
Yeah, it's like how my dad isn't into movies/TV/novels at all and is massive sports fan. I had to will myself to get a bit of an interest in sports to have a better connection (to his credit, he never forced his love for sports on me). To give kids credit, while impressionable, they're capable of forming their own opinions, so there's nothing wrong with showing them something you like to see if they get anything from it. And if they don't, they'll usually let you know.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:59 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:40 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:34 am Oof, yeah, that might suck. I'd probably like to show them Star Trek, at least. Deep Space Nine is so important as a work of art and progressive television that I think it'd be educational in that respect.
Yeah, it's like how my dad isn't into movies/TV/novels at all and is massive sports fan. I had to will myself to get a bit of an interest in sports to have a better connection (to his credit, he never forced his love for sports on me). To give kids credit, while impressionable, they're capable of forming their own opinions, so there's nothing wrong with showing them something you like to see if they get anything from it. And if they don't, they'll usually let you know.
Yeah, sports stuff was always just a thing for me, like going to the zoo. I can't tell you shit about baseball but I'd go to a game if free tickets fell on my lap or someone simply asked.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:29 am

If I were eight years old watching DB I probably would have gone to school asking girls for their panties and a pafupafu. I guess that's why it's important for adults to be aware of what their children are consuming, so they can teach them what's appropriate and what's not.

The Viz manga used to say "Recommended for Ages 13 and up" on the covers. Despite the series itself actually being more in line with the 12 and under crowd, I think their recommendation is appropriate considering the questionable content within.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 am

I'm not concerned about the violence that much either, it's so out of reach the fact that they throw energy beams and fly and destroy planets. I remember as a kid everybody playing DB in recess and we weren't beating each other up, but spending 10 minutes yelling and charging an invisible attack and pretending we were sent flying away by it. What a waste of spare time lol.

In any case, I'd start with the DBZ anime. The manga is much more gruesome and Z already leaves behind Roshi, fortunately. While the violence isn't particularly violent, I'd rather have a kid start with the lesser version of the violence. If they want more viscera, they can always read the manga.