Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:11 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 am I'm not concerned about the violence that much either, it's so out of reach the fact that they throw energy beams and fly and destroy planets. I remember as a kid everybody playing DB in recess and we weren't beating each other up, but spending 10 minutes yelling and charging an invisible attack and pretending we were sent flying away by it. What a waste of spare time lol.

In any case, I'd start with the DBZ anime. The manga is much more gruesome and Z already leaves behind Roshi, fortunately. While the violence isn't particularly violent, I'd rather have a kid start with the lesser version of the violence. If they want more viscera, they can always read the manga.
Same, brother, same. :lol: :)
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Re: Parts of Dragon Ball that you avoid showing to children as a parent or caretaker

Post by Daimao » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:27 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:46 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:22 pm
Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 pm

...but there's no "extra r" there, the source word is spelled marron. There's two rs there to begin with.
Yes, but the reason that Funi/Simmons call Maaron "Marron" is not because of the original French spelling. It's to represent the elongated vowel. They had already used "Maron" for Garlic Jr.'s Maron instead of using the French spelling. So they went with "Marron" for Kuririn's daughter to differentiate between the two.
Ok, but neither of us are Funi or Simmons, so there's no particular need to slavishly adhere to their fuckups...?
Well, I guess that will show 'em.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:45 am

Daimao wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:27 am
Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:46 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Yes, but the reason that Funi/Simmons call Maaron "Marron" is not because of the original French spelling. It's to represent the elongated vowel. They had already used "Maron" for Garlic Jr.'s Maron instead of using the French spelling. So they went with "Marron" for Kuririn's daughter to differentiate between the two.
Ok, but neither of us are Funi or Simmons, so there's no particular need to slavishly adhere to their fuckups...?
Well, I guess that will show 'em.
Haha, sorry., should've probably worded that differently

If you have any input on this though, I'd love to hear it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!