Are the Madman singles overrated?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Are the Madman singles overrated?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:15 pm

I recently purchased a few Madman singles for the Saban dub, not only because I live in Oceania and they're local to me, but because I've heard some here say that they're the best way to experience that particular dub. I have no prior experience for the Saban-era singles, since growing up I only had the singles that covered the Funi in-house dub.

The first thing I noticed is that it's still presented like an hour long movie, as is the case with the Pioneer singles, which get a lot of flack here. There's just one intro at the beginning for the first episode and an outro for the last episode. From reading this forum, I was under the impression that they were formatted like Rock the Dragon Edition, having intros and outros for every episode.

The Madman singles edited out all the eyecatches that were used between commercial breaks in the TV broadcast, which wasn't even the case with the Pioneer singles. When I was watching episode 17 ("The Saibamen Strike") I noticed at around the 15 minute mark that you could still briefly see a few frames of one of the eyecatches they edited out. This strikes me as very unprofessional.

People say that the Madman singles for the Saban dub have better picture quality than both the Pioneer singles and Rock the Dragon Edition. The colors look a bit better than the Pioneer colors, but I don't see a real difference between it and Rock the Dragon Edition in terms of picture quality. I'd imagine Rock the Dragon Edition couldn't be that much worse, since it's a 2013 release while these DVDs are from 2002.

To me, the only advantage that the Madman singles have is that they include the "Stand by for Dragon Ball Z" intro on every disc, which isn't present on the Pioneer singles (and possibly the later Funi singles). On Rock the Dragon Edition it's only used on the Tree of Might for some reason.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Are the Madman singles overrated?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:57 pm

I can only speak to my experience with them. Back in the mid-2000s, the Dragon Ball singles were hard to find. For $200 on eBay, I got the entire series, where half of them were the Madman release. This included the"Saga of Goku," which was unreleased in the US. That alone made them great. But also, the menus were cooler and the packaging itself was pretty cool instead of just a regular DVD case with booklet--the Madman release had transparent casing with the inside cover listing the episodes. This was such a nicer presentation.

Of course, this is all moot at this point.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are the Madman singles overrated?

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:50 am

Very over rated. they are composite video and frame blended.