Dragon Ball Myth or truth?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AizenYTBR

Dragon Ball Myth or truth?

Post by AizenYTBR » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm

There are some stories about Dragon Ball and Akira Toriyama that have always impressed me a lot, but I saw them when I was a child and never found out if they were true or if it was just a blatant lie, you who research a lot more about the franchise will definitely be able to help me to unravel these stories...they are:

1-Akira Toriyama made so much money with Dragon Ball that he had to start saving money in the fridge
2-There is a road that connects Toriyama's house to Tokyo, and it was created to facilitate your travels.
3-Akira Toriyama has a son named Sasuke
4-Akira never used the term "canon" in interviews

Do you know any more myths about Dragon Ball that someone can help you demystify?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Myth or truth?

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:02 pm

AizenYTBR wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm4-Akira never used the term "canon" in interviews
This is obviously true. But we still have to endure countless "this is canon", "that's not canon" (all based solely on opinions) and people wasting their time discussing something that was never established in the first place and that is so pointless.

I think I've seen someone (maybe Herms?) saying the Japanese vocabulary doesn't even have the word "canon", but don't quote me on that.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 am

AizenYTBR wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm There are some stories about Dragon Ball and Akira Toriyama that have always impressed me a lot, but I saw them when I was a child and never found out if they were true or if it was just a blatant lie, you who research a lot more about the franchise will definitely be able to help me to unravel these stories...they are:

1-Akira Toriyama made so much money with Dragon Ball that he had to start saving money in the fridge
2-There is a road that connects Toriyama's house to Tokyo, and it was created to facilitate your travels.
3-Akira Toriyama has a son named Sasuke
4-Akira never used the term "canon" in interviews

Do you know any more myths about Dragon Ball that someone can help you demystify?
1. Stupid place to keep it I'm sure he uses a bank because he's not a retard.
2. He's wealthy and somewhat famous but he's not getting infrastructure projects just for him.
3. He stopped having kids before Naruto came out. Unless that was already a name.
4. I'd bet money he's never said the actual word. He has talked about stuff being non canon like GT.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:32 am

I’ve heard of Japanese people keeping their savings under their beds, but in the fridge? Not sure if Toriyama is that eccentric...

Also, he does have a son named Sasuke, but he was born 10 years before Naruto began.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 am

Lots of people hide money in the fridge or the freezer.

TobyS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 am Unless that was already a name.
Was definitely already a name. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarutobi_Sasuke

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 am

TobyS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 am
3. He stopped having kids before Naruto came out.
Naruto didn’t invent that name. What a bizarre assumption to make.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 am

Number 3 is true. And I believe he has a daughter as well.

I don't know about the others and have not heared about them either.

But check this one out: In mexico they would say Akira Toriyama converted to cristianism and he regreted ever creating dragon ball..

mmm... it is very possible he ended up hating DB at some point (kinda like a father-son relationship) but because of religious purposes, I don't buy it.

Bottom line Toriyama has been so hermetic with his private life that it makes sense we are here talking about its rumors...

PS:
WHAT? lol I always thought the usual was under the matress
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 am Lots of people hide money in the fridge or the freezer.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:11 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 am But check this one out: In mexico they would say Akira Toriyama converted to cristianism and he regreted ever creating dragon ball..

mmm... it is very possible he ended up hating DB at some point (kinda like a father-son relationship) but because of religious purposes, I don't buy it.
I am certain that he confirmed he was irreligious.
And besides, you think a Christian-minded person would write such sexually immoral and polytheistic elements for their story? Shoot, he is STILL writing stories for it, so how could he regret it?!
I swear...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:11 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 am
TobyS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 am
3. He stopped having kids before Naruto came out.
Naruto didn’t invent that name. What a bizarre assumption to make.
I literally followed it up with a "but it could have already been a name" don't qoute mine me. I never heard it before Narouto, Don't even read Narouto but picked the names up from cultural osmosis. I live in portgual I dont know every japanese name and its invention date because I'm not a massive weeb.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 am Number 3 is true. And I believe he has a daughter as well.

But check this one out: In mexico they would say Akira Toriyama converted to cristianism and he regreted ever creating dragon ball..

Bottom line Toriyama has been so hermetic with his private life that it makes sense we are here talking about its rumors...

PS:
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 am Lots of people hide money in the fridge or the freezer.
yeah the fridge is silly robbers will eventually raid your fridge for a drink when they get tired looking everywhere else haha :lol:
I like in a ziplock in the cistern of a toilet.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am

I've heard about corpses and human parts stored in fridges, but never money.

AizenYTBR

Post by AizenYTBR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:49 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 am Number 3 is true. And I believe he has a daughter as well.

PS:
Seriously? In Brazil this myth is quite popular, there are articles (without a source obviously) that even talk about it (and about the road that connects your house to Tokyo)

AizenYTBR

Post by AizenYTBR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am

For those interested, I was wrong with the legend, in fact, the story said that there is a road that connects Toriyama's house to Nagoya airport, to facilitate your travels to TOKYO.

These stories often appear on youtube channels, brazilian facebook pages and etc, but apparently, it all started with this site here:
https://www.genkidama.com.br/xil/a-lend ... -verdades/