Why does the OG Dragon Ball gets so little love from TOEI / BANDAI etc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why does the OG Dragon Ball gets so little love from TOEI / BANDAI etc

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:45 am

funny that you mentioned about Pan's breasts in GT. I recently watched that scene in english (on friday) and kid baby says "It thinks you are its mother".

Pan was going through puberty and her breasts had started to develop, because of hormones, some female hormones that somehow the animal is capable to get and therefore he was attracted to Pan's breast area. Since breastfeeding is nothing sexual, it's technically us who are making that scene weird... is it?

...Controversy...

Ok guys, I guess you are correct, the nirvana baby is a real person and Goku is a cartoon but DB does have a lot of child nutdity and some cultures might not like it nowadays. The real issue then would be Bulma lifting skirts and roshi's hobbies such as watching girls doing aerobics. Those aerobics shows were very popular on TV in the late 80s, early 90s but not anymore... I wonder if on a reboot newer version of DB Roshi would instead watch tik tok or something like that...

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:45 am funny that you mentioned about Pan's breasts in GT. I recently watched that scene in english (on friday) and kid baby says "It thinks you are its mother".

Pan was going through puberty and her breasts had started to develop, because of hormones, some female hormones that somehow the animal is capable to get and therefore he was attracted to Pan's breast area. Since breastfeeding is nothing sexual, it's technically us who are making that scene weird... is it?
It would be weird even without sexual subtext. I am pretty sure it is next to impossible for a 9 year old girl to be able to produce breast milk.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:10 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:45 am Ok guys, I guess you are correct, the nirvana baby is a real person and Goku is a cartoon but DB does have a lot of child nutdity and some cultures might not like it nowadays. The real issue then would be Bulma lifting skirts and roshi's hobbies such as watching girls doing aerobics. Those aerobics shows were very popular on TV in the late 80s, early 90s but not anymore... I wonder if on a reboot newer version of DB Roshi would instead watch tik tok or something like that...
While weird, Roshi watching the yoga tapes is probably the least controversial or troubling of his activities. The girls in those videos likely would not be minors, and it wouldn't involve him actually sexually assaulting anyone. I think that could remain in without getting too much backlash.

Hopefully TikTok never has anything to do with a Dragon Ball series in any capacity.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:05 pm

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm
Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:34 am It was to serve as an example of Goku's nudity. It is frequently shown in original DB (also in DBGT btw) and for many years no one cared because no one would sexualize babies, but apparently that changed. The Nirvana baby cover album came out in 1991, those years are far behind, now if you put kids genitals it is illegal, that is why the guy is placing a lawsuit, so technically in some parts of the world original DB is forbiden for the mere fact that it shows child nudity.
Goku is a cartoon character, not a real life human being. Are cartoon genitals considered illegal around the world?
Yeah, I feel like people need to understand that cartoon characters don't abide by real world laws. This especially comes up whenever people start sexualizing underage characters. Like, I don't get off to any of that loli crap, but if you think sexualizing a big-eye cartoon character that's supposed to be 14 is anywhere near as bad as sexualizing a real 14 year old, you really need a reality check.
Plenty of japanese games getting censored or banned and those girls are clothed. Mostly.

All it takes is a loud couple of people to turn anything into offense.

Heck, the first Chris Reeves superman had a 3/4 year old Kal-el penis in it. There's old movies out there with baby and toddler nudity. And I'm pretty sure many of the child protection laws we have now were present then. People are just super sensitive now. Especially to things that might have the possiblity of someone maybe mayhaps the conceivabilty considering perhaps being offensive.

Reminds me of Billy Ray Cyrus commenting on images of him sitting snuggly with his teenage daughter (Miley in this case way back when) on the couch. Sometime you need to keep those red flags of yours from going of all willy nilly.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:25 pm

Because no Super Saiyan? That would be my guess.

In general, I think they go where the safe money is and most of that was made by Z IIRC. That's probably why Super feels more like a weird clone of Z while Z feels completely different from OG Dragon Ball.

OG DB games go hard though! Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure was fun as hell.

I wouldn't mind a Kakarot style RPG of the OG series.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:10 pm
Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:45 am Ok guys, I guess you are correct, the nirvana baby is a real person and Goku is a cartoon but DB does have a lot of child nutdity and some cultures might not like it nowadays. The real issue then would be Bulma lifting skirts and roshi's hobbies such as watching girls doing aerobics. Those aerobics shows were very popular on TV in the late 80s, early 90s but not anymore... I wonder if on a reboot newer version of DB Roshi would instead watch tik tok or something like that...
While weird, Roshi watching the yoga tapes is probably the least controversial or troubling of his activities. The girls in those videos likely would not be minors, and it wouldn't involve him actually sexually assaulting anyone. I think that could remain in without getting too much backlash.
I agree and would take that a bit further and say that I wouldn't even call it weird. Watching a jazzercise video of women in their 20s and 30s, that know they're hot and enjoy the idea of putting themselves out there in videos, is a legit funny and harmless "the wise old master is a pervert" joke. Hopefully there'd be no backlash at all, because anyone that did say it's problematic wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on since it's fully consensual stuff involving fully-grown adults.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:15 am

Dr. Casey wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 pm I agree and would take that a bit further and say that I wouldn't even call it weird. Watching a jazzercise video of women in their 20s and 30s, that know they're hot and enjoy the idea of putting themselves out there in videos, is a legit funny and harmless "the wise old master is a pervert" joke. Hopefully there'd be no backlash at all, because anyone that did say it's problematic wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on since it's fully consensual stuff involving fully-grown adults.
I mainly meant "weird" in the sense that it's probably not socially acceptable in the west for elderly men to watch videos of 20-30-somethings doing aerobics to get their jollies off lol. But I'm sure it's not that uncommon, and again, it's mostly harmless if it doesn't permeate into the even the desire to commit actual sexual assault.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 am

It doesn't get as much love from the big companies because many people around the world got the Z part of the story first, so more people from those countries are inclined to prefer Z. But in my opinion, I think that it could get some more love if original Dragon Ball had something synonymous with it, just like the latter series do. Dragon Ball Z is known for Super Saiyan, big fights, and flashy transformations. Dragon Ball Kai is known for its English dub that blows FUNimation's Z dub out of the water. Dragon Ball GT is known for Super Saiyan 4 and everyone hating it as much as they hate Dragonball Evolution ( :sick: ). Dragon Ball Super is known for having Super Saiyan Every Color Of The Rainbow. Super Dragon Ball Heroes is known for...well....every month you don't know what the hell is going on.

My point is, Dragon Ball needs something to draw people to it. It needs something to make it profitable again.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 am
My point is, Dragon Ball needs something to draw people to it. It needs something to make it profitable again.
The more risque humor.

The more gag comedy leanings in the first half

Overall better use of its non-Saiyan characters

There’s a lot of things it’s “known for”

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 am
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 am
The more risque humor.

The more gag comedy leanings in the first half

Overall better use of its non-Saiyan characters

There’s a lot of things it’s “known for”
That is true but that may not be good enough for some people (myself not included)

People need to get rid of the idea that Dragon Ball Z is supposed to represent what the entire franchise is supposed to be like - high speed fights mixed with crazy long transformation scenes. If they get rid of that mindset, they could enjoy the original more and not treat it like a prequel to Z>

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 pm

The ironic thing is that the Tenshinhan, King Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr. arcs all have the sort of action people like to associate with Dragon Ball Z, just with less flying and more physical choreography. It's one of the reasons the split in the anime (ie. adding the 'Z') sometimes frustrates me, as it leads to people seeing more pronounced differences than they actually are. Had it all been "Dragon Ball" from the outset of the anime, then it likely wouldn't be as difficult turning people on to the pre-Raditz arcs.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:36 pmPeople need to get rid of the idea that Dragon Ball Z is supposed to represent what the entire franchise is supposed to be like - high speed fights mixed with crazy long transformation scenes. If they get rid of that mindset, they could enjoy the original more and not treat it like a prequel to Z>
Absolutely. I remember in one of my previous jobs I was talking to someone, asking if they'd ever heard of Dragon Ball. Initially they seemed oblivious but then I asked about "Dragon Ball Z" and they admitted to being aware of it. Crazy how that one letter is what it takes to remind some people what your talking about, especially when that Z portion is only one of several series in the franchise, albeit the longest.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:02 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 pm The ironic thing is that the Tenshinhan, King Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr. arcs all have the sort of action people like to associate with Dragon Ball Z, just with less flying and more physical choreography. It's one of the reasons the split in the anime (ie. adding the 'Z') sometimes frustrates me, as it leads to people seeing more pronounced differences than they actually are. Had it all been "Dragon Ball" from the outset of the anime, then it likely wouldn't be as difficult turning people on to the pre-Raditz arcs.
If Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z weren't separated, it'd probably turn people off of it. People generally tend to refrain from watching longer anime. After all, it takes only 3 hours to finish a 12 episode anime. Imagine how long it'd take to finish 444 episodes of anime! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:51 pm

The length might turn some people off, but ultimately, if people want to watch a series then they will watch a series. The length will not be what stops them, and if it does, then they likely weren't especially interested in watching in the first place.

I don't mind the split between DB and DBZ, because it's a common thing for anime to do, and part of its charm in my view. The real problem is how Funimation treated the two series to begin with, releasing them out of order and misrepresenting the first show and so forth. That's what really leads to the dismissive attitude towards pre-Raditz.

I definitely don't like Viz renaming and separating the manga volumes with "Z", however. That's just shitty.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:23 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:51 pm The length might turn some people off, but ultimately, if people want to watch a series then they will watch a series. The length will not be what stops them, and if it does, then they likely weren't especially interested in watching in the first place.

I don't mind the split between DB and DBZ, because it's a common thing for anime to do, and part of its charm in my view. The real problem is how Funimation treated the two series to begin with, releasing them out of order and misrepresenting the first show and so forth. That's what really leads to the dismissive attitude towards pre-Raditz.

I definitely don't like Viz renaming and separating the manga volumes with "Z", however. That's just shitty.
I don't inherently mind the split either, and I live that it came with new OP/ED, etc., but unfortunately it led to the idea that Dragon Ball is this totally different entity that's incapable of being as successful as "DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEE!" And of course Viz would add the Z, as they'd want to capitalize on what they view as the "more popular" portion.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:42 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:02 pm If Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z weren't separated, it'd probably turn people off of it. People generally tend to refrain from watching longer anime. After all, it takes only 3 hours to finish a 12 episode anime. Imagine how long it'd take to finish 444 episodes of anime! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe, but I doubt this would've been a huge issue upon the initial release for those who were already following the series. And I'm sure the OG Dragon Ball portion wouldn't just be thought of as a "prequel," but rather the early arcs.