Why does the OG Dragon Ball gets so little love from TOEI / BANDAI etc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Why does the OG Dragon Ball gets so little love from TOEI / BANDAI etc

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:44 am

Sure, there are some DB characters in Heroes and we got a nod to Kid Goku in Fighterz but for the rest we see zip which is kinda weird.
We saw a small "revival" of OG DB stuff a long time ago with Advanced Adventure/Revenge of Kid Piccolo and the DS games but since then there has been basically nothing significant with perhaps DB SD as the only important release after that.

Yes Z, makes a lot of money but if you don't produce any OG DB stuff that could make money you have a self fulfilling prophecy.
Besides, the OG DB has a different vibe and could be used to make games or series that can fill a different kind of appetite with it's more adventurous take on the story.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why does the OG Dragon Ball gets so little love from TOEI / BANDAI etc

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:43 am

It is airing on Telefuturo where I live. But its a shitty cloverway master that is older than old.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:56 am

Sadly international license holders don't have a lot of faith in it. While the BLT dub was a thing, Funimation really wanted Z back when they first got the license, thinking the action and flashy stuff would be more appealing to western children, now it's so ingrained in the minds of your average person who is aware of Dragon Ball, it's hard to change people's mind to see the series as the whimsical adventure gag manga it started off as and at it's heart always will be.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:41 am

Likely because it's more adventure than action-orientated.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:41 am Likely because it's more adventure than action-orientated.
Only if you ignore over half the series

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:57 am

Capitalism, baby!

A profit-driven system turns everything into a competition to monetize properties. The less one can monetize a work the more useless it is!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 am

I said something similar to this and got bashed at another topic, but I still think this firmly:

Original Dragon Ball needs a reboot and one that has to be "cleaner".
The reality is DB came out in 1986 and it was for a japanese society of that time. The world as it is today would never accept Roshi's behavior, underage Bulma lifting skirts and being touched by Yamcha as well as Goku's nudity, now that even the nervermind baby is suing! https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58327844

Making dragon ball Kai and DBZ videogames has been a nice way to keep the story of dragon ball Z current. You know how kakarot the videogame is in reality a summary of the DBZ sagas, maybe we need a videogame of original DB and people will be more fond of it and the companies that you mentioned would invest on DB...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:49 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 am

It doesn’t need a reboot. But if it were to get one, yes it would be a good idea to not have the questionable content of the 86 series included.
, now that even the nervermind baby is suing! https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58327844
Not sure how the Nirvana baby making an excuse to get more money by being lawsuit happy is relevant?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:05 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:49 am
Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 am

It doesn’t need a reboot. But if it were to get one, yes it would be a good idea to not have the questionable content of the 86 series included.
, now that even the nervermind baby is suing! https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58327844
Not sure how the Nirvana baby making an excuse to get more money by being lawsuit happy is relevant?
Especially considering he was more than happy to do a photoshoot about it recently :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 am I said something similar to this and got bashed at another topic, but I still think this firmly:

The reality is DB came out in 1986 and it was for a japanese society of that time. The world as it is today would never accept Roshi's behavior, underage Bulma lifting skirts and being touched by Yamcha as well as Goku's nudity, now that even the nervermind baby is suing! https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58327844
I agree that if Dragon Ball were to get a reboot, it could do without all of the aforementioned, but for goodness' sake it has nothing to do with that laughable excuse of a lawsuit.

As for why Dragon Ball doesn't get attention? It might have to do with the earliest US dubs for Dragon Ball not really taking off, whereas Z was a massive hit when it arrived in 1996. Not sure if that's exactly it, but it's just a guess, that Z was a much more instantaneous hit in the states. OG Dragon Ball not getting much attention is one of the reasons I'm a bit annoyed with the "Z" split, although not as much as before.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:26 pm

Merchandise based on the original Dragon Ball gets released pretty regularly.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:31 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:26 pm Merchandise based on the original Dragon Ball gets released pretty regularly.
what about video games?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:10 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:31 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:26 pm Merchandise based on the original Dragon Ball gets released pretty regularly.
what about video games?
It had 2 DS games, a Wii game, and it's represented in Fighterz, Dragon Ball Heroes, Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Extreme Butoden, ect. There are entire story arcs in the Heroes games based on the original Dragon Ball.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 pm

most people world wide that didnt get deep into dragon ball like the internet fan base has prefer dbz. simple as that, even in japan. Its why z got kai treatment nad db didnt. why put out merch for the serires more people dont prefer? Heck even if everything were free why would resources be 'wasted' on the one most people dont like as much

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:10 pm
what about video games?
It had 2 DS games, a Wii game, and it's represented in Fighterz, Dragon Ball Heroes, Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Extreme Butoden, ect. There are entire story arcs in the Heroes games based on the original Dragon Ball.
That still pales in comparison to the amount of games starting with Arrival of Raditz. And even in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the Dragon Ball portion is treated as some sort of bonus saga.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm

what about video games?
That still pales in comparison to the amount of games starting with Arrival of Raditz. And even in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the Dragon Ball portion is treated as some sort of bonus saga.
And I'm still bitter that Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot skipped OG Dragon Ball, talk about wasted opportunity...mini games like Master Roshi training, side quests in all those places Goku visited as kid.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm

what about video games?
Well a lot of those Budokai games were made when Dragon Ball Z was still airing in the US and getting home releases, it was the main product at the time, but the original Dragon Ball has had its fair share of merchandise, it still gets new merch like figures released regularly and has upcoming releases planned. I know, I have them on pre-order :)

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:31 am I said something similar to this and got bashed at another topic, but I still think this firmly:

Making dragon ball Kai and DBZ videogames has been a nice way to keep the story of dragon ball Z current. You know how kakarot the videogame is in reality a summary of the DBZ sagas, maybe we need a videogame of original DB and people will be more fond of it and the companies that you mentioned would invest on DB...
You say that and it's true but them we have plenty of underaged TikTokThots that no one really does anything about. Roshi being a pervert and getting beat down for it could potentially work. Goku definitely couldn't be nude. Accidental groping are mainstream anime tropes that will never go away.

All of these can be reasonably removed from broadcast though. OG DB's main issue is that it's a really old show. And it was already old when Toonami first aired it after Dragon Ball Z original run. It has less of the high energy and pop! That DBZ and the other anime that came over after Z and are currently watched. Which is a shame because it has the same buildup and beats as all other fighting anime.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 pm

A lot of the western market doesn't have much faith in the original series. FUNimation skipped straight to DBZ when Dragon Ball wasn't immediately successful and several countries started off with DBZ
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:24 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 pm and several countries started off with DBZ
Pretty sure just the ones that got FUNimation’s dub