My dream Dragon Ball home release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: My dream Dragon Ball home release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm
Shintoki wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

wanting the level sets back doesn't cut it right for a ''dream release''. why settle for a just about decent BD from 2011 when you can dream of a new remaster for a 4K BD in 2022+. 8)
Agreed. And as I've said, the footage that Funimation has on their possession will never be as good as it can possibly be no matter what they do to it.
How would you go about remastering the footage, then? Since apparently when Toei was working on the Dragon Boxes, the film's colors were already fading, and even though they tried their best, there wasn't much they could do.
I understand. But they still made the Dragon Boxes which are still to date the best release. I also realize that Toei tried their hand at Blu-ray with Kai and it ended up being a blurred mess. I get that. But reality is still that Funimation never had the best footage to begin with. Whatever Funimation has in their possession is a poor copy. Now, could they make it look better than the Dragon Boxes? Sure. But can they make it look better than how Toei could with their film? No.

I would hope that when doing the Dragon Boxes, Toei would digitize the film to preserve it at least as well as they possibly could. Then, a frame by frame restoration would be the best.

Please don't get me wrong; if Funimation just took their film as-is with zero done to it (I'm talking an unconventional aspect ratio complete with the round corners and absolutely no color touch-ups/cleaning), then that would be pretty close to perfect. Even if Hell freezes over and they resurrect the Level Sets, I'd get them. But that wouldn't be a perfect release.

Perfect release? Frame by frame restoration (to original colors, etc) of Toei's film. That's about it. Second to that? Funimation just releasing what they have as-is. I don't care if it has scratches, tape marks, burn marks, or if a dog screwed on the film--don't do anything to it. Of course, broadcast audio is likely as good as it's going to get since Toei's copy isn't the greatest. But, to me, this is more about video than audio, so that's not a hill I'd be willing to die on. But for the sake of the "perfect release," yes.

To make it a truly perfect release, it would need to also have every dub that ever existed for the series. There's more to Dragon Ball than Toei and Funimation.

For the record, I don't think that any of what I wrote will ever happen.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:17 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm

Agreed. And as I've said, the footage that Funimation has on their possession will never be as good as it can possibly be no matter what they do to it.
How would you go about remastering the footage, then? Since apparently when Toei was working on the Dragon Boxes, the film's colors were already fading, and even though they tried their best, there wasn't much they could do.
I understand. But they still made the Dragon Boxes which are still to date the best release. I also realize that Toei tried their hand at Blu-ray with Kai and it ended up being a blurred mess. I get that. But reality is still that Funimation never had the best footage to begin with. Whatever Funimation has in their possession is a poor copy. Now, could they make it look better than the Dragon Boxes? Sure. But can they make it look better than how Toei could with their film? No.

I would hope that when doing the Dragon Boxes, Toei would digitize the film to preserve it at least as well as they possibly could. Then, a frame by frame restoration would be the best.

Please don't get me wrong; if Funimation just took their film as-is with zero done to it (I'm talking an unconventional aspect ratio complete with the round corners and absolutely no color touch-ups/cleaning), then that would be pretty close to perfect. Even if Hell freezes over and they resurrect the Level Sets, I'd get them. But that wouldn't be a perfect release.

Perfect release? Frame by frame restoration (to original colors, etc) of Toei's film. That's about it. Second to that? Funimation just releasing what they have as-is. I don't care if it has scratches, tape marks, burn marks, or if a dog screwed on the film--don't do anything to it. Of course, broadcast audio is likely as good as it's going to get since Toei's copy isn't the greatest. But, to me, this is more about video than audio, so that's not a hill I'd be willing to die on. But for the sake of the "perfect release," yes.

To make it a truly perfect release, it would need to also have every dub that ever existed for the series. There's more to Dragon Ball than Toei and Funimation.

Even if we had a miracle and all that you wrote was gonna happen, there will be some licensing issues for dubs, since you'd have to pay Ocean, Blue Water, Venus Centre, etc.

I'd like to see a full Arabic dub of Dragon Ball and Z without any of the censorship, name changes or cringy voice acting. No more coloring over Blooma's legs. No more editing out the American flag in episode 37 of Dragon Ball. No more censoring the Oozaru transformation. They can keep some of the VAs (Ra'fat Bazo as Goku, Leena Dawa as young Gohan, Ayman Al-Salek as Vegeta, Hanan Choucair as Kuririn, Ma’mūn Al-Rifā'i as the narrator, etc.) and the theme song, but replace everyone else. Maybe make a new logo?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:17 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am

Even if we had a miracle and all that you wrote was gonna happen, there will be some licensing issues for dubs, since you'd have to pay Ocean, Blue Water, Venus Centre, etc.

I'd like to see a full Arabic dub of Dragon Ball and Z without any of the censorship, name changes or cringy voice acting. No more coloring over Blooma's legs. No more editing out the American flag in episode 37 of Dragon Ball. No more censoring the Oozaru transformation. They can keep some of the VAs (Ra'fat Bazo as Goku, Leena Dawa as young Gohan, Ayman Al-Salek as Vegeta, Hanan Choucair as Kuririn, Ma’mūn Al-Rifā'i as the narrator, etc.) and the theme song, but replace everyone else. Maybe make a new logo?
I mean what I wrote about the dubs is just a small part of what I said. Theoretically, that would be the "perfect" release. But again, my big thing is video quality. All the other stuff can simply be added in without one of the distributers' help.