My dream Dragon Ball home release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: My dream Dragon Ball home release

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:34 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm That's not why I said that. I said that because FUNimation has screwed us all over one too many times over now. From their shitty dubs to their lackluster home releases, to their questionable reputation and their controversial workers. From the Vic Mignogna allegations which nobody talks about anymore, to Monica Rial filing a lawsuit against Vic Mignogna's ass claiming that he sexually assaulted her in 2007.

All in all, FUNimation is a damn mess of a company and I wouldn't trust them with Dragon Ball even if my life depended on it.
Da fuck does this have to do with us getting screwed with home video releases?
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:31 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm . From the Vic Mignogna allegations which nobody talks about anymore, to Monica Rial filing a lawsuit against Vic Mignogna's ass claiming that he sexually assaulted her in 2007.
Yeah you probably should just not…
That's cool, I won't.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Yeah, let's not even start with the can of worms that is the Vic allegations. I have no idea whether he really is a creep or not, I'm just tired of the flame war that mentioning his name inevitably causes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:23 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:57 pm

I just gave up on FUNimation by now. It's clear they'll never create a competent home release ever again. Which is why they need to GET THEIR DBZ LICENSE FUCKING REVOKED
I don't think I agree with that. They've become the definitive English version of the series. But yes, their releases are absurd. It's puzzling, really. They're doing so well everywhere else. They've really become an anime juggernaut and their app is great (navigation sucks, but it's so rich in content). And yet, they just keep striking out with Dragon Ball. But I think ditching them at this point would harm the series in English-speaking markets because they really are the English version of the Dragon Ball series.
That's not why I said that. I said that because FUNimation has screwed us all over one too many times over now. From their shitty dubs to their lackluster home releases, to their questionable reputation and their controversial workers. From the Vic Mignogna allegations which nobody talks about anymore, to Monica Rial filing a lawsuit against Vic Mignogna's ass claiming that he sexually assaulted her in 2007.

All in all, FUNimation is a damn mess of a company and I wouldn't trust them with Dragon Ball even if my life depended on it.
Again, I think they as a whole are great. But for whatever reason, they've really dropped the ball on Dragon Ball in every way you can imagine. Even worse, they've had many chances to redeem themselves and failed to. I get that. But, the best they could do is subpar. What could they possibly do? Create a perfect release of third-hand footage? Or redub everything (which they won't do)? And anyone who would take over that license would have the same issues. The question is do you keep the dub or redub amd risk alienating a large chunk of the fandom? Would they make the perfect release of the third-hand video?

That's why I've taken Funimation out of the equation. Only Toei can make the perfect release at this point. Unless they have off their film masters to someone else, which I doubt they'd do.

To reiterate, the Level Sets might be great. They might be as good as Funimation could possibly do. But that's the problem. It still won't be as good as it could be if Toei did it, which is my issue.

So, my perfect release is just simply one done by Toei without the under the swamp filter and without DNR. Dubs, etc. are secondary because at this point, the fans have gotten damned good at stitching together a decent product out of necessity. Get a great video release and you can stick whatever dub you want to it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Yeah just let Toei USA re-release the series in an acceptable and affordable quality and I’m good.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:12 pm

Toei putting out a Dragon Ball release would be most ideal. Hopefully it happens, but I've all but given up on it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:59 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:12 pm Toei putting out a Dragon Ball release would be most ideal. Hopefully it happens, but I've all but given up on it.
Have you considered getting a 1 terabyte external hard drive and torrenting the series? It'll only cost you around $60, Wal-Mart sells these external hard drives online: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canv ... thena=true

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:23 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm

I don't think I agree with that. They've become the definitive English version of the series. But yes, their releases are absurd. It's puzzling, really. They're doing so well everywhere else. They've really become an anime juggernaut and their app is great (navigation sucks, but it's so rich in content). And yet, they just keep striking out with Dragon Ball. But I think ditching them at this point would harm the series in English-speaking markets because they really are the English version of the Dragon Ball series.
That's not why I said that. I said that because FUNimation has screwed us all over one too many times over now. From their shitty dubs to their lackluster home releases, to their questionable reputation and their controversial workers. From the Vic Mignogna allegations which nobody talks about anymore, to Monica Rial filing a lawsuit against Vic Mignogna's ass claiming that he sexually assaulted her in 2007.

Again, I think they as a whole are great. But for whatever reason, they've really dropped the ball on Dragon Ball in every way you can imagine. Even worse, they've had many chances to redeem themselves and failed to. I get that. But, the best they could do is subpar. What could they possibly do? Create a perfect release of third-hand footage? Or redub everything (which they won't do)? And anyone who would take over that license would have the same issues. The question is do you keep the dub or redub amd risk alienating a large chunk of the fandom? Would they make the perfect release of the third-hand video?

That's why I've taken Funimation out of the equation. Only Toei can make the perfect release at this point. Unless they have off their film masters to someone else, which I doubt they'd do.

To reiterate, the Level Sets might be great. They might be as good as Funimation could possibly do. But that's the problem. It still won't be as good as it could be if Toei did it, which is my issue.

So, my perfect release is just simply one done by Toei without the under the swamp filter and without DNR. Dubs, etc. are secondary because at this point, the fans have gotten damned good at stitching together a decent product out of necessity. Get a great video release and you can stick whatever dub you want to it.
I don't really blame them for the Vic stuff as there's no way in hell they would've ever hired him if they'd known about his past, but I will absolutely hold them accountable for their continuous cavalcade of fuck-ups regarding the home video releases of DBZ. Us DBZ fans are like Charlie Brown repeatedly trying to kick the football and Funi is Lucy always taking the ball away just when we think we finally have a chance.

I've heard some say the Level Sets actually look better then the Dragon Box.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 am

KingVegetto wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:23 pm

I don't really blame them for the Vic stuff as there's no way in hell they would've ever hired him if they'd known about his past, but I will absolutely hold them accountable for their continuous cavalcade of fuck-ups regarding the home video releases of DBZ. Us DBZ fans are like Charlie Brown repeatedly trying to kick the football and Funi is Lucy always taking the ball away just when we think we finally have a chance.

They do; the Dragon Boxes have a little bit of a red tint to them because of the aging film, it's slightly more zoomed in than the Level Sets, the colors aren't corrected and are in 480p, whereas the Level Sets are in 1080p HD quality and show a little more footage. In terms of visual quality, the Level Sets are superior to the Dragon Boxes by far. Only problem is that they don't have the Japanese next episode previews, and they're incomplete. But if they were finished, I'd definitely put them on my Christmas list.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:16 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:23 pmSo, my perfect release is just simply one done by Toei without the under the swamp filter and without DNR. Dubs, etc. are secondary because at this point, the fans have gotten damned good at stitching together a decent product out of necessity. Get a great video release and you can stick whatever dub you want to it.
A TOEI remaster wouldn't be much better than Funimation. Granted they have the original film masters, but they would likely have a green filter, and censor some stuff as they did with their otherwise brilliant movie remasters. They also missed two major anniversaries, for 20 years they settled on Kai because 167 episodes would be less work than 291, and for the 30th anniversary it was like "meh, Funimation can do it for us. We don't need a domestic release because Kai is available in our country". Bit late for them to change their ways now I say.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:24 am

The Level sets are incomplete, lack the NEP and like most of Funimation’s release use the Dub episode titles and credits regardless if you watch it in Japanese.

Slightly better picture quality doesn’t make them worth anything like buying a half deck of cards because they’re a little shiny

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:24 am

The Level sets are incomplete, lack the NEP and like most of Funimation’s release use the Dub episode titles and credits regardless if you watch it in Japanese.

Slightly better picture quality doesn’t make them worth anything like buying a half deck of cards because they’re a little shiny
Of course the Level Sets are worth something

all I need is for them to be completed and for the broadcast audio to be added as a separate track, along with dub + Kikuchi and dub + Faulconer. Boom, now everyone's happy.

EDIT: Oh, and for them to make a DVD version. We don't have a Blu-Ray player at my house.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:54 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 pm

all I need is for them to be completed and for the broadcast audio to be added as a separate track, along with dub + Kikuchi and dub + Faulconer. Boom, now everyone's happy.

EDIT: Oh, and for them to make a DVD version. We don't have a Blu-Ray player at my house.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:36 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:54 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 pm

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
I'm not

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:15 am

It's just that you want a bunch of things to happen that will never happen with the Level Sets, so you kind of proved MasenkoHa's point.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:15 am It's just that you want a bunch of things to happen that will never happen with the Level Sets, so you kind of proved MasenkoHa's point.
Aaaand now I'm discouraged

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:15 am It's just that you want a bunch of things to happen that will never happen with the Level Sets, so you kind of proved MasenkoHa's point.
Aaaand now I'm discouraged
I mean, I didn't mean to bring you down, but... did you think that they'd resurrect the Level Sets with broadcast audio and next episode previews?

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

wanting the level sets back doesn't cut it right for a ''dream release''. why settle for a just about decent BD from 2011 when you can dream of a new remaster for a 4K BD in 2022+. 8)
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm

Shintoki wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

wanting the level sets back doesn't cut it right for a ''dream release''. why settle for a just about decent BD from 2011 when you can dream of a new remaster for a 4K BD in 2022+. 8)
Agreed. And as I've said, the footage that Funimation has on their possession will never be as good as it can possibly be no matter what they do to it.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm
Shintoki wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Agreed. And as I've said, the footage that Funimation has on their possession will never be as good as it can possibly be no matter what they do to it.
How would you go about remastering the footage, then? Since apparently when Toei was working on the Dragon Boxes, the film's colors were already fading, and even though they tried their best, there wasn't much they could do.